HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:34 PM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
Hey guys - I just finished building my Mentor - it's alive!!!!!

Hoping to get a test flight in this weekend if the weather is OK! I'll try take a video.

I did take some photos during the build so will do a little writeup for you guys - there's a few things in the manual which are changed slightly - maybe they have updated the kit?

Butuz
Butuz is offline Find More Posts by Butuz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:53 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butuz
Hey guys - I just finished building my Mentor - it's alive!!!!!
Hoping to get a test flight in this weekend if the weather is OK! I'll try take a video.
I did take some photos during the build so will do a little writeup for you guys - there's a few things in the manual which are changed slightly - maybe they have updated the kit?
Butuz
Weren't you thinking about putting some A123 Batts in the Mentor? I am curious how much room in the fuse for batteries.

Rick
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Aug 20, 2008, 04:32 PM
Nemo in a blender
The Netherlands-Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
Mentor's fuselage room

I too would like to know what the dimension of the fuselage is (LxWxH).

Anyone who would want to take the effort to measure the fuselages inner space?

Thanks in advance!
Connexxion is offline Find More Posts by Connexxion
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,190 Posts
The battery compartment is approximately 5mm (wide) x 5.7mm (high) with almost unlimited length 30mm+.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:09 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry
The battery compartment is approximately 5mm (wide) x 5.7mm (high) with almost unlimited length 30mm+.
Mike.
Good info Mike, thanks. The 50mm width is about the same as an Easystar and I can squeeze a 3S A123 2300 pyramid pack in which are about 53-54 mm wide. My 4S packs are about 53cm x 135 mm long. Sounds like maybe a 4s 2p parallel pack might be feasible if there are not any CG issues or pack weight issues.

Rick
Last edited by Rickochet; Aug 21, 2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Speeling :>) and Metric Boo Boo :>(
Old Aug 21, 2008, 02:29 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
I have a feeling some of the paperwork doing the rounds is mixing up mm with cm ......

there are 2.54 cm to the inch and 25.4 mm to the inch ....

If the Mentor is anything like the EasyCub, the free space on board is a joy to see ...... as are the cooling vents on the Cub (everything comes down stone cold) .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Aug 21, 2008, 03:14 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14
I have a feeling some of the paperwork doing the rounds is mixing up mm with cm ......
Thanks Hobie, I think Mike and I both had a metric mix up.
(But it was Mike's fault, he did it first)

Rick
Old Aug 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet
Thanks Hobie, I think Mike and I both had a metric mix up.
(But it was Mike's fault, he did it first)

Rick
I shall say nothing .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Aug 21, 2008, 04:17 PM
Gary P
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
The main point is that the Mentor's fuselage is huge - bigger than any other Multiplex model - you can fit a really big battery in there.
flamehead is offline Find More Posts by flamehead
Old Aug 21, 2008, 04:24 PM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
Guys - I am either going 3s2p pyramid packs or 4s2p double barrel packs on mine - should just about fit. If not may have to excavate slightly!

I have to admit I did not realise the A123 packs were 54mm wide and the Fuselage is only 50mm wide!! Could have been a big oversight on my part!!

I think with a little bit of persuasion the 4s will fit better one on top of eachother (to give a w54mm x h54mm back) pushed right back... the 3s pyramids would have to be fitted one in front of theother which could give alot less CG adjustment or possible CG problems.

Dudes you've just made my mind up for me!! 4s it is!! Cheers

Butuz
Last edited by Butuz; Aug 21, 2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 03:01 AM
Nemo in a blender
The Netherlands-Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry

Mike.

5mmX5.7mmX300+mm? Hehehe

You either converted the inch wrong or you forgot to add a zero and shift a decimal.
Connexxion is offline Find More Posts by Connexxion
Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:29 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butuz
Guys - I am either going 3s2p pyramid packs or 4s2p double barrel packs on mine - should just about fit. If not may have to excavate slightly!

I have to admit I did not realise the A123 packs were 54mm wide and the Fuselage is only 50mm wide!! Could have been a big oversight on my part!!

I think with a little bit of persuasion the 4s will fit better one on top of eachother (to give a w54mm x h54mm back) pushed right back... the 3s pyramids would have to be fitted one in front of theother which could give alot less CG adjustment or possible CG problems.

Dudes you've just made my mind up for me!! 4s it is!! Cheers

Butuz
Another option would be making a 4s pack in like a diamond shape (pyramid with another cell on the other side). That configuration would be about 50.8mm.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:39 PM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
Hey guys - the Mentor had it's maiden today!!! It's still in once piece hehee!!!

I did not fly it though because it was very very windy with lots of nasty gusts and the wind was a cross wind too. I went to the club and a few peeps were there including the club instructor. After checking it was all set up right he took it up.

He didn't like the look of the big thick landing gear on such a windy crosswind day he said it would be easy for me to make a mistake during landing and probably rip off the landing gear. (I dont think he had much experience with multiplex stuff so he may well have thought it was normal foam not elapor).

I took the landing gear off and another club member hand launched it - it hand launched really nice!!!!

I had the elevator throw far too sensitive but it went up good and he said it had lots of power - probably too much. But then we both agreed there really isnt such thing as "too much" power and he showed me that even half throttle was punching through a 15mph+ head wind. Everything was ok he noted the wings were flexing somewhat (i dont blame them in this wind!) but other than that he said it was fine.

He flew around a bit, did some aerobatics including barell rolls and stall turns, and a twirly nose dive (not sure what you call that one) and the mentor took it all in its stride.

He did note that it glided very very well and was quite docile, infact he did about a minute of flying round on 0 throttle because the wind was strong enough to keep the plane in the air on its own and even on turning into the wind the plane just sat there stationary not moving forward or backward - it looked awesome!!!

He then did a stall turn and brought it in for landing - he made it look easy but I would imagine landing into a 15-20mph headwind across the runway isnt an easy thing to do.

One thing he noted - I need to angle up the motor ever so slightly as it was diving slightly under full throttle.

We flew today on 3S2P 4400 lipo - will be moving to 4S2P A123 soon.

VERY HAPPY BUTUZ!!!!

Butuz
Old Aug 22, 2008, 01:08 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,190 Posts
mm... cm... whatever works!
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Aug 23, 2008, 09:25 AM
Western North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
142 Posts
Mine is on the way

Hi group,
Atlanta Hobby is behind on updating availability on their website. Thanks to rjmanzuk's posting I called them yesterday and they had three in stock. One less now - delivery scheduled for the 26th. My setup is:

Torque 2814-820 500 Watts
APC 13X6.5E Prop
45 Amp Air Boss Elite
2 HS 85-BB Servos
2 HS 425-BB Servos
3850 mAh eXtreme V2, 3 Cell 25/50C 11.1V battery

Our club will have its annual Labor Day flying and cook out next week end. I hope to have her ready for maiden by then.
George
Staggerwing1 is offline Find More Posts by Staggerwing1