HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 05, 2008, 01:59 AM
aka MadMan
rjmanzuk's Avatar
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
still waiting

Just got a notice that I'm #12 in the backorder line at my preferred LHS for this ARF, with no promise of a ship date. I personally think something's up between Multiplex and the various LHSs ... with some preferential treatment to HobbyPeople, perhaps? They seem to have them while others are still sucking wind: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/240200.asp
Hope that's not the case! My respect for Multiplex would really go down the tubes if that were the case.
rjmanzuk is offline Find More Posts by rjmanzuk
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2008, 01:47 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
MikeMayberry's Avatar
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,194 Posts
Be aware that most hobby shops purchase Hitec/Multiplex products through a distributors like Great Planes(Tower), Horizon Hobby or Global Hobbies (Hobby People) and note directly from us which is why it takes a little longer to get new products. Note that Global is also only 100 miles from us so the shipping time is less than to Champaign IL which is were the other two are based; there is no preference in shipping out new items other than first come, first serve.

All the distributors should now have stock which means the shops should too within a few days or so.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2008, 03:03 PM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
I guess if you will stick to one particular shop this is the kind of problems you may run into?

Butuz
Butuz is offline Find More Posts by Butuz
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2008, 04:36 PM
aka MadMan
rjmanzuk's Avatar
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
point well taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butuz
I guess if you will stick to one particular shop this is the kind of problems you may run into?Butuz
Good point, my friend ... good point. However, in the US, good service has become such a rare commodity, that when one finds it coupled with fair and reasonable prices, it's hard to turn one's back on it. I guess for now I'll take the hit in lapsed time, and stay with my preferred source.

I accept Mike's word that the producer is staying out of the distribution decisions, and just hope that Multiplex is careful in selecting their distibution network with CUSTOMERS (cash paying buyers) in mind. Lotsa competition out there, otherwise, so we buyers do have alternatives if unhappy enough to change. This will be my sixth R/C airplane, but only my first from Multiplex; so it's a test.
rjmanzuk is offline Find More Posts by rjmanzuk
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2008, 11:55 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Anyone running the supplied power set - ie 54 amp esc and bec?
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2008, 09:38 AM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
Well - West London Models come through for me today! I got my Mentor in the post in a nice big box, very well packed

Wohoo cant wait to build it!

Butuz
Butuz is offline Find More Posts by Butuz
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 02:44 PM
aka MadMan
rjmanzuk's Avatar
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
alternative prop?

Ahhhh ... got a message from UPS that they will drop mine on my doorstep on or before 14 August. Now it's time to start getting serious regarding the Mentor.

I ordered a few APC 14X7E props, but I also have a few 3-bladed 11X7, 11X8 and 12X8 props from other applications. Any 2nd opinions as to their utility with the mentor? They seem too small if you simply apply the rule-of-thumb of 1 inch down in diameter and pitch when migrating from a 2-blader to a 3-blader (suggesting a 13X6X3 might work better?).

My inaugural power pack is made up of a Torque 2814-605 (550W) motor, a 45 Amp AirBoss Elite ESC, and TP's 35-4450 High Performance (4450 mAH, 3S, 22/40C, 11.1V) LiPo.

Guess it's time to dust off MotoCalc, ElectriCalc and Drive Calc and see if I can get a rare consensus from those tools.

I plan to employ the Mentor not only as a primary trainer for a youngster, but also eventually as a tug for either an EasyGlider PRO or a Cularis (jury's out on just which of those I want to use as my first soaring instructor).

Opinions? Recommendations?
rjmanzuk is offline Find More Posts by rjmanzuk
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:39 AM
Registered User
Joel Shreenan's Avatar
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmanzuk
I ordered a few APC 14X7E props, but I also have a few 3-bladed 11X7, 11X8 and 12X8 props from other applications. Any 2nd opinions as to their utility with the mentor? They seem too small if you simply apply the rule-of-thumb of 1 inch down in diameter and pitch when migrating from a 2-blader to a 3-blader (suggesting a 13X6X3 might work better?).

My inaugural power pack is made up of a Torque 2814-605 (550W) motor, a 45 Amp AirBoss Elite ESC, and TP's 35-4450 High Performance (4450 mAH, 3S, 22/40C, 11.1V) LiPo.

Guess it's time to dust off MotoCalc, ElectriCalc and Drive Calc and see if I can get a rare consensus from those tools.
Opinions? Recommendations?
Hi, Bob. I'd be very interested in seeing the results of your prop tests with the 605 motor if you could do them on a test stand with a wattmeter, instead of with just a calc program. You are right about the 3-bladed props on the same 3S battery you plan to use with the big 2-bladed prop. The 3-bladed props would probably be most useful with a 4S or 5S pack. I love the look of 3 and 4-bladed props, but others have found that the more blades you have, the less efficient the prop is. That's because the smaller distance between the blades causes a blade to have to bite into air that's already been bitten into by the blade in front of it. That's why a 1-bladed prop is the most efficient of all.

Wishing you the best with your build and maiden. -- Joel
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:07 AM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
Right well If all goes to plan I should be building my Mentor this weekend and will do a build post with lots of photos.

One point I was slightly annoyed at is the kit doesnt actually come with any Multiplex Zakki Elapor glue - I was all set to build her and then ... no glue had to order that online which has delayed my build.

Apart from that the kit is good, well packed, good instructions, my Scorpion motor and ESC should arrive today - I can't wait

Butuz
Butuz is offline Find More Posts by Butuz
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:38 AM
Multiplex Member
SkynetAir's Avatar
Switzerland, VD, Montreux
Joined Aug 2002
165 Posts
Dude, why did you expect there to be glue in the kit?? No kits have glue?
SkynetAir is offline Find More Posts by SkynetAir
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:34 AM
Geezer
Rickochet's Avatar
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butuz
Right well If all goes to plan I should be building my Mentor this weekend and will do a build post with lots of photos.
Butuz
Let us know how the A123 installation goes. I have some A123 2300 pyramid packs that squeeze in nicely in my Easy Star.

What kind of pack shape will you use in the Mentor?

Rick
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:44 AM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkynetAir
Dude, why did you expect there to be glue in the kit?? No kits have glue?
I dunno - just did Kinda like expecting a full tank of petrol when you buy a new car

Butuz
Butuz is offline Find More Posts by Butuz
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:46 AM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet
Let us know how the A123 installation goes. I have some A123 2300 pyramid packs that squeeze in nicely in my Easy Star.

What kind of pack shape will you use in the Mentor?

Rick
Was planning to go for 2 x 4S packs in double barrel.

Will be test flying on a pair of 3S1P 2200MAH Trex type packs and if the testing is successful will order a Cellpro 10S charger, and several 4S A123 packs from Puffin Models.

I am hoping to be able to use 4S A123 pack in my Dragonus 450 but it may be to big / heavy. I'd like to standardise on A123 cells see. I like the ability for 15 min charge in the field - if the weathers good I can make the most of the flying without buying a million packs.

Butuz
Butuz is offline Find More Posts by Butuz
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:06 AM
Geezer
Rickochet's Avatar
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butuz
Was planning to go for 2 x 4S packs in double barrel.
Will be test flying on a pair of 3S1P 2200MAH Trex type packs and if the testing is successful will order a Cellpro 10S charger, and several 4S A123 packs from Puffin Models.
I am hoping to be able to use 4S A123 pack in my Dragonus 450 but it may be to big / heavy. I'd like to standardise on A123 cells see. I like the ability for 15 min charge in the field - if the weathers good I can make the most of the flying without buying a million packs.
Butuz
Thanks for the info. I also have some 4S A123 two barrell packs I plan to use in parallel in some .40 size glo conversions. Keep us posted on your progress.

Do you have any measurements on the fuselage cavity where the batteries go? Using 3S or 4S A123 I would imagine the packs will need to go directly under the CG. I really like the looks of the kit but will hold off a purchase until I know my A123 packs will fit.

Rick
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Last edited by Rickochet; Aug 14, 2008 at 08:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 08:42 PM
Posts: 1,784,206
santeepat's Avatar
Santee, CA.
Joined May 2006
376 Posts
MagMentor Vid



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ06lI28Sdg
santeepat is offline Find More Posts by santeepat
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools