HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2010, 03:44 PM
Fun Scaler
EHTX
Joined Jun 2007
150 Posts
Thanks again Patron

Sounds like a type of flight routine I want. What do you mean by sports flying if I may ask? Loops, rolls, fairly steep climb outs, inverted flight, immelmans, etc? Couple of low "speed" passes?

Think the 3s will suit me fine then...

Patriek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron View Post
Patriek, I forgot to tell you I'm using the new 35C Hyperion batteries 3S-5000's and I usually fly (2) 10-12 minute flights on each pack, mostly just sport flying some WOT but not much.
Patriek is offline Find More Posts by Patriek
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2010, 04:56 PM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriek View Post
Thanks again Patron

Sounds like a type of flight routine I want. What do you mean by sports flying if I may ask? Loops, rolls, fairly steep climb outs, inverted flight, immelmans, etc? Couple of low "speed" passes?

Think the 3s will suit me fine then...

Patriek
Yes Patriek, but I'm getting OLD, and the older I get the slower I want to fly
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
Old May 25, 2010, 06:50 AM
Joined Sep 2009
40 Posts
Floats

Is there any detailed comments and pilot experiences about the floats that Multiplex sells for Mentor? With search I wasn't able to find any detailed comments about

- flight characteristics when flying with floats
- how steering works in water with or without water-rudder
- how well plane handles wind and small waves
- is it easy to swap between floats and normal landing gear
micsa is offline Find More Posts by micsa
Old May 26, 2010, 03:44 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
Got the Mentor up this morning for it's maiden flight. 15mph winds so not the ideal way to test a light foam airplane, but was ready to get it airborne. Could keep it at a standstill in the headwind but made for a challenging downwind turn to keep altitude. Quick 5 minute flight then brought it down on an almost no rollout landing. Will head out again once the winds calm down and get it trimmed out and ready to get our son on the trainer!
Awesome - Congrats.

I too have a new one to build (had it for a few weeks and finally getting other projects off the workbench)....can't wait to get her in the air. I am in the phase of planning out paint as I finish my last project in the way of the Mentor.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old May 28, 2010, 09:37 AM
Joined Aug 2007
16 Posts
Quick question.
With the standard powerset and servo set, if I buy another servo for the tow release, do I have to add a bec or will the included esc handle this?
MNcowboy is offline Find More Posts by MNcowboy
Old May 28, 2010, 10:43 AM
Joined Apr 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNcowboy View Post
Quick question.
With the standard powerset and servo set, if I buy another servo for the tow release, do I have to add a bec or will the included esc handle this?
I don't think so. you don't juse that servo a lot. Maybe 1 or 2 times.
eclipce is offline Find More Posts by eclipce
Old May 29, 2010, 08:56 AM
Fun Scaler
EHTX
Joined Jun 2007
150 Posts
can anyone tell me where to find a Mentor for RealFlight 4.5? I tried KnifeEdges' swap pages and Google with no result.

Patriek
Patriek is offline Find More Posts by Patriek
Old Jun 04, 2010, 05:12 PM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
582 Posts
Hi,
I'm reading this entire post - at page 17 now. My question is if i buy this plane (still thinking about it) what power system can you guys suggest. Esc and motor from Hobbyking.

thanks
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Jun 07, 2010, 12:00 AM
Joined Sep 2009
40 Posts
Repair tips needed

Fellow Mentor pilots,

I need some tips while repairing my Mentor.

Why? I was flying my Mentor during Friday evening and made a practise landing during first battery set. After re-takeoff I noticed that the plane keeps pulling up no matter what I do with the elevator stick. After some turns and stalls I realized that I had no elevator control whatsoever. I managed to get the Mentor over the landing field by controlling the pitch angle with throttle and made semi-hard landing on the main gears. As an result, my fuselage almost broked into half just behind the point where the gear is attached to the fuselage.

So, to the questions:

1. Assuming that my elevator servo failed, I need to replace it. Is it possible to change it when the I have fuselage halves glued together? The original servo installation was made during assembly with two separate fuselage halves, so it was much more easier.

2. Should I reinforce the crack point somehow or is CA enought to keep the fuselage in one piece?
micsa is offline Find More Posts by micsa
Old Jun 07, 2010, 12:32 PM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Sorry about your mishap micsa but it looks like the damage can be easily repaired.

I would guess bringing the fuse back into shape and gluing with ca is all that's needed and I might put a small carbon fiber tube or rod on the bottom of the fuse just to reinforce where it was bent, and even along the sides. You could cut some v-groves in the Elopor and the CF rods would hardly be noticable.

Now replacing the bad servo might take some doing. If your's is anything like mine, I used servo extensions and glued the wires onto the inside of the fuse to make a neet appearance and keep the wires clean for installing the batteries...I never thought of having to replace a servo.

In any event, make sure before you remove the old servo and wiring, that you attach a pull wire or string onto servo lead that plugs into the rx so that you have something to pull the new servo wire back in with.

IT WILL FLY AGAIN.
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
Old Jun 08, 2010, 04:12 PM
Hull, UK
Joined Oct 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobert View Post
Craig
Thats the motor that I'm using in 3 Mentors that I have built. I'm running 3S1P Turnigy 3000 ma pack(http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...20C_Lipo_Pack), 50Amp ESC (http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...es_50-60A_ESC), a UBEC(http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...~23v_Input)and a 12x8 APCe prop.
You'll love the combination.
Hope this helps,
Neal
Well, it's been a while but I finally pulled my finger out and got it built, thanks for the advice.
The Mentor is a great plane, perfect for a beginner and tough too! Mine's had a few mishaps, but still flies great.
Can anyone advise what is the best prop for climbing that i can use with the motor and esc combo, turnigy sk35-48 9ookv and 60 amp esc? Lipos are 3s 3600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63gaPUe6QHM

My cousin flying his that we built at the same time.
jumpmonkey is offline Find More Posts by jumpmonkey
Last edited by jumpmonkey; Jun 08, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 01:28 AM
Marlborough
Joined Mar 2009
40 Posts
I've just got hold of a Mentor RR version after a lot of phone calls. I ended up calling the UK distributor to check which shops had ordered them recently! What a great piece of kit this is! Really well put together and very neat. I can't wait to get it in the air when this monsoon season over here has finished!!
Breitling is offline Find More Posts by Breitling
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:12 PM
Joined Aug 2007
16 Posts
I'm interested in using the Mentor for towing banners.
How large (size and weight) of a banner will it tow?
What size would be reasonable?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:35 AM
Electric only
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNcowboy View Post
I'm interested in using the Mentor for towing banners.
How large (size and weight) of a banner will it tow?
What size would be reasonable?
Depends on your motor.

I once towed a Multiplex banner (at a meeting) with about 3m by 50cm. With 800W power and flaps I was at the limit. It was OK going straight but in the turns I had to be very careful. No problem with lift-off. It was like an anchor in the air and I just barely reached the necessary airspeed.

I would start with no more than 2m x 40cm. Better less.

A way to get better performance might be to stabilize the banner with some rods (CfK?) in longitudinal direction to lessen the flutter which IMHO is the biggest problem.

RK
rkopka is online now Find More Posts by rkopka
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:43 AM
Joined Aug 2007
16 Posts
I will be using the standard power package - the Receiver Ready model.
So flutter was the biggest problem?
I would also like to know how you added flaps to the Mentor.