SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
216 Posts
Just when I first advance the throttle. all the rest is OK!
Buck Shot is offline Find More Posts by Buck Shot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:21 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,009 Posts
you need to read the manual that came with the ESC... it should tell you exactly what that sound means.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Apr 2012
216 Posts
No Manual with the EC! The only info. I have on it is with the building instructions. It is a phoenix45. Thanks
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Nov 2010
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
No Manual with the EC! The only info. I have on it is with the building instructions. It is a phoenix45. Thanks
Google is your friend. http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...User_Guide.pdf
OldMerc is offline Find More Posts by OldMerc
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Jul 2012
21 Posts
I put a new metal mount and set down thrust according to the manual: the difference between top and bottom adjustments screws was 2mm. When I was holding it in my hands in a hand launch position and advancing the throttle, I could feel how the plain was getting pulled down. After I throw it, it went straight to the ground and cracked in half. Did I set to much of the down thrust? Is there any way to check if it is set right?
alexh is offline Find More Posts by alexh
Last edited by alexh; Sep 04, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:26 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,009 Posts
Why not take off from the ground? Seems like hand launching would be risky.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
Why not take off from the ground? Seems like hand launching would be risky.
I did. The plane wouldn't stay in the air, it was doing down with no elevator.
The most frustrating part is that I did everything according to the manual but it doesn't tell you how to check your settings and what to look for if they are wrong.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:37 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
Was it trimmed out?
I must be mis-understanding something as it seems pretty straight forward.
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:07 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,009 Posts
That amount of downthrust seems right. Are you sure the elevator is nuetral when trimmed out?
You said, "after I threw it, the plane went straight in the ground".
Did you take off from the ground or did you throw it?
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Jul 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
That amount of downthrust seems right. Are you sure the elevator is nuetral when trimmed out?
You said, "after I threw it, the plane went straight in the ground".
Did you take off from the ground or did you throw it?
OK. Here is the story. I had it trimmed in the very first flight by an experienced pilot from a local club. Then I flew it by myself and it flew great. On my second flight I gave it too much elevator and it made a loop right from the ground. Crashed nose down. I got a new metal motor mount, caliper, fixed it and reset the down thrust. I set it to low rates 50%. Set it to take off from the ground. The flight was a disaster. At less then full throttle I couldn't keep it up because it was pulling down as soon as I give a little bit less power or less elevator. It was making very wide turn and crashed into a tree in a neighborhood. After I took it down I decided to hand launch it in a bigger open area to avoid any crashes into houses. I was practicing my throws without power in a very tall grass to avoid any damage. It was gliding for a little bit. If I applied more force, it glided better. It gave me confidence that if I add motor power to it I would fly off. When I was holding it in a throw position and quickly move the throttle up, the plane was raising tail and the force was fulling down. After I threw it, it didn't glide but went straight down very fast.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
216 Posts
Alex Did you ever get it off the ground?? I finished mine today. I adjusted the controls to the mm settings in the manual. Will let you know!!!
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:02 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
Good Luck Buck!

Does anyone have this beast on floats? I've been watching this plane since it came out.

I'm looking for a decent platform that would make for excellent Aerial Video capabilities. My real issue is the fact I need to be able to land and takeoff from water only. Is it possible to place a camera somewhere between the floats and shoot forward avoiding exposure to the floats and prop. I want a nice obstacle free image.

My thinking is, either the prop or floats would be in the picture. Something I definitely want to avoid.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Jul 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
Alex Did you ever get it off the ground?? I finished mine today. I adjusted the controls to the mm settings in the manual. Will let you know!!!
Yes, I did. I had nose down crash and after that it never flew well. I am waiting for new motor mount rails.
Let me know how yours is flying. I suspect that my down trust was too much pointing down even if I set it according to the manual. Maybe something was off in the mount after a crash.
When you on the ground, it may go left before it takes off. You have to compensate by rudder for that.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:48 PM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
Very cool! Are you going to put the camera in the nose, where the original motor was?

Looks like you'll need the weight up there to keep the CG right, won't you?

Let us know how she flies!

Bob
Hi Bob!
I'm hoping to put two cameras on her, one facing over the rat's shoulder, one facing aft, at the rat. The battery will be far back, the cg moves forward in such a configuration, I think. Haven't tested it yet, need transport to the local field
Matthew
Duck! is offline Find More Posts by Duck!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:19 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
Matt,

What motor setup are you using?

I have a feeling I'm going to take your approach to the keep the prop out of the picture idea. Twin it is! Those props also look very close to the fuse, are they as close as the photos make it seem?