HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2008, 09:30 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
Discussion
helifrek has crossed into the dark side, well mini side....

Well, I have finally got a flying Trex 450. I had one around christmas but crashed it after I had got it flying, I guess trying to do tic tocs on the maiden voyage with a less than aerobatic trex isn't the brightest of ideas anyways, since I am on a very tight budget, here is my setup.

Trex 450XL CDE
3x HS-55 cyclic
GY401 gyro
align 35A esc
TP 2100MAH 11.1V batt
Unknown red motor....
GWS pico servo on tail

probably one of the worst setups on a trex but it does fly. headspeed is to low to mess around with so I am going to order a new pinion gear. what are the best blades for 3D flying? I want to keep everything cheap as possible but still have a quick and responsive helicopter. all those aluminum upgrades look pretty and all but they are not required to make a 3Dable helicopter, I would really just like to know the best setup for my particular T-rex. I know I could do the research and find out on my own but that can be lonesome so please don't burn me for stupid questions. any advice on the XL is appreciated.

thanks,
Brandon
helifrek is offline Find More Posts by helifrek
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2008, 09:36 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
heres a few pics from earlier today, hope everyone is having as nice weather as I am.
Old Apr 02, 2008, 09:46 PM
Joined Feb 2008
134 Posts
fly it like it is and learn basics really well. cant tell you about pinion without motor knowledge.

hey atleast your out having fun, i would upgrade servos which can be used down the road. but honestly fly it like it is and enjoy
outhouse is offline Find More Posts by outhouse
Old Apr 02, 2008, 10:10 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
thanks for the advise. I have got the basics "down". I have been flying rc helis for 9 years. just now getting into the rexes though. the 450 class has been out for awhile I just don't like catching onto new things... so it took me awhile. after some time on trextuning.com I have come to the conclusion my blades are the biggest drawback followed by my headspeed. still having some tail wag but I haven't took the time to really setup the gyro like I should, I will do that in the morning. on my list of things to buy is some align 325 wood blades as they are recommended for practicing 3D at a good price. I will also be getting some HS65MG for the cyclic and if all goes well I will put a Fut 9257 on the tail. I also need some better servo arms as the ones I have are flimsy. thanks again.

Brandon
Old Apr 03, 2008, 11:45 AM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
1,113 Posts
Hey bro,

Congrats on getting a Rex....I LOVE mine!

If you want performance, have you done the "cheap" and easy things first? Sorry if you have since you've been flying for 9 years, but these mini's are different!

What is your idle up throttle curve? That will affect your headspeed more than anything. Unfortunately you don't know what motor it is so that could definitely be a factor as well.

Also have you upped your swash percentages to get you the best cyclic range for easy flips/loops/rolls? And did you remove the flybar weights? Is the flybar a 190mm or 220? The 220mm will get you more cyclic response as well.

As far as blades, I've only tried the Align white carbons and the Radix. I LOVE the Radix...they are expensive, but I get the cosmetically flawed ones directly from the Curtis Youngblood site for $29 each. They absolutely rock!

Yeah, get the HS65-mg's and at least a 9650 for the tail and you'll be fine. If you go with the 9257 on the tail, I think you'll need a voltage stepdown...not a biggie, but something else to remember.

Good luck!
Skarn
Skarn is offline Find More Posts by Skarn
Old Apr 03, 2008, 11:48 AM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
1,113 Posts
Woops, I just realized you have the CDE version which I know nothing about. I don't think it is CCPM correct? If so, you don't have swash mix menu do you?

Skarn
Old Apr 03, 2008, 12:44 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
thanks for the advice. My rex is ccpm, just not direct ccpm... if that makes sense...
before I do anything I need some better blades and higher headspeed, those are my two main buzzkills. my idle up is set to 100% full range, but headspeed still sucks and it bogs down when I give it some pitch so that definitely needs fixed. there are no flybar weights and cyclic seems fairly responsive from what I can tell but I am hoping it will livin up with some new blades and a larger pinion. I will keep you guys posted. I really think someone should start a new trex thread on how to get the best bang for your buck, like the cheapest you can do a 3dable rex. thanks again.

Brandon
Old Apr 03, 2008, 02:03 PM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,295 Posts
nice to see another XL! what have you done about the servos rubbing on the canopy? or is yours not affected?
muscleflex is online now Find More Posts by muscleflex
Old Apr 03, 2008, 05:13 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
so far I only have two flights on it, both of those have been canopy off. I am contemplating on chopping the frame up and doing a direct ccpm mod. anyways, off to do some more work on the rex.

Brandon
Old Apr 04, 2008, 05:01 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
SUCCESS!!!! finally I got a really good flight in! I had been kind of rushing things because I am so anxious to fly but with the weather and it being the beginning of the weekend I figured I would sit down and do the basic things I should have done in the first place.
1. setup the ESC to high timing advance...
2. balance and track blades....
3. make a new hole in the tail servo arm...
these three simple steps changed the way this baby flies. headspeed is much higher and I was able to do some loops and rolls, held inverted shortly too. blades are still a big drawback, I am sure there will be less bogging and better authority with some better performance blades.
the blades were pretty close to balanced and they were one turn out of track, something I was waiting to fix until headspeed got better.
as for the tail, it still wags a little, I think it has more to do with the servo than anything else, tail is all greased up and smooth, gain is set to 70% and delay is set to about 20%
the little HS-55's held there own with plenty of pull power, I had expo on cyclic set +25% but with the higher headspeed I may need to go back around 15% as it is quite touchy. I need to play with my lower pitch curve because somewhere in there the heli wants to shoot to the ground, but for the most part I am very pleased with the trex, I should have got one sooner. now for a cool paint scheme....

thanks again guys,
Brandon
Old Apr 05, 2008, 12:06 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
well, after alot of research and tinkering I decided to try flipping the servos over to stop the rubbing, some people say that it screws up the servo geometry but since I don't know a thing about that, it shouldn't affect me well, the servos don't rub and the heli flies just fine. I also put a hs-55 on the tail, its no 9650 or 9257 but the wagging stopped.
well, I got stupid and was doing more loops and rolls and inverted and was just about to bring her in when I was thinking "one more roll, then I'll land" and it just didn't have enough power to pull through the roll and smacked the ground. I got it fairly level before impact but the skids on the right side snapped and it rolled over causing a bent flybar and broken blade grip. I haven't assessed the damage in depth but I think it should be up and flying tomorrow. I definitely need some better blades, just haven't had the money thanks for reading guys.

Brandon
Old Apr 05, 2008, 12:28 PM
Citizen #302
USA, OR, Canby
Joined Oct 2007
331 Posts
You keep saying you need better blades, but what blades do you have now and what is wrong with them?. I have only flown the Align white carbons on my trex and have heard bad things about the black and yellow Align blades.
Kam Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Kam Arrow
Old Apr 05, 2008, 02:30 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
the blades I have now are the white align plastic ones, I am wanting some of the wooden 325 align blades, much lighter and more rigid.
Old Apr 05, 2008, 06:17 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifrek
the blades I have now are the white align plastic ones, I am wanting some of the wooden 325 align blades, much lighter and more rigid.
If you are talking about the white Align Carbon Fiber blades (like in the picture), those are excellent blades! MUCH better than the woodies for 3d. Woodies are NOT more rigid than CF.

I recently put radix blades on mine and man, I love them!

Skarn
Old Apr 05, 2008, 06:49 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,838 Posts
the white PLASTIC blades, they are very flexable. good for a beginner but not for aerobatics. the wood ones I am wanting are not more rigid than CF but they are much more rigid than plastic. http://www.trextuning.com/align325pro.php
theres a link to the wood blades I am wanting.

would love the radix blades but can't afford them.

thanks.
Brandon