HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2008, 12:40 PM
Flys like a chocolate teapot
Joined Mar 2008
25 Posts
Question
planks pitch stability

hi
does anyone know of a ratio of chord to wingspan that a plank with no other horizontal support will remain stable?
and is there anything i can do apart from dihedral, sweep and as low a COG as possible to help lower this ratio?
thanks
julian
ps im talking about an unpowered plank if that makes any diff
julian.i is offline Find More Posts by julian.i
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2008, 12:56 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,245 Posts
I don't know of any hard and fast rules, but I've built/flown a handful of different homebrew planks. To use a concrete comparison, I've done two different 60" flying wings. One had a 6 1/2" root chord and 5 1/2 inch tip chord. The other has a 9 1/2" root and 4" tip chord. Both are single tapered at both LE and TE. Both are very pitch stable, even for flying wings.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Apr 02, 2008, 01:02 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian.i
hi
does anyone know of a ratio of chord to wingspan that a plank with no other horizontal support will remain stable?
chord:wingspan (i.e. aspect ratio) should have little or no effect on stability - which is chiefly a function on the airfoil pitching moment, in combination with reflex on the elevons. Plank airfoils like PW51 & MH64 are specifically desinged to be pitch stable.
EDIT - For more info see e.g. Martin Hepperles site:
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/index.htm
follow "flying wings" & the links at the bottom of the flying wings airfoil page - he explains it all in there...
Phil
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Last edited by Phil.Taylor; Apr 02, 2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2008, 01:03 PM
Flys like a chocolate teapot
Joined Mar 2008
25 Posts
are you using a zreo camber airfoil? or do you have to adjust the elevons up? or is the pitching moment of the airfoil totaly overcome by the low centre of gravity? ------edit------thanks Phil lol you got there first-------
cheers
julian.i is offline Find More Posts by julian.i