SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2008, 11:13 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Question
RV 900mhz vs 1.3ghz gear

Anyone compare the 900mhz 500mw to the 1.3ghz 300mw system?

Last month I purchased a 900 system from RV but trhere still out of stock so Vova has offered to send a 1.3ghz system instead . I want to know if it's going to be as good as the 900 gear for getting around obsticles since I use this stuff in my RC truck driving around the house and you guys that follow what I do know that I tried the 2.4 gear but it sucked when driving behind my house where the 900 is solid. Any feedback on the 1.3ghz would be great . Scott
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2008, 11:25 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
Isn't the 1.3GHz illegal in the US even with a HAM licence? I've heard that mentioned, although I don't know if it's been verified.
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 02, 2008, 11:34 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
It's going to take more than a casual look to figure this one out, but this may help.

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...ands_color.pdf
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 02, 2008, 11:41 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
I'm going to keep on having a conversation with myself here.

It looks like at least the two lower channels are within the amateur radio ranges. That's one better than the 900MHz system!

Regarding performance: assuming the supporting electronics are equivalent, I would expect you to get pretty good results, but maybe not quite as good as the 900MHz.

The shorter the wavelenghth (higher frequency) the less likely it is to go through something like walls, trees, etc.

I would expect it to perform better than 2.4GHz, though, when it comes to that. some of the 2.4GHz systems may have an advantage, though, in their other hardware. Much more time is being spent perfecting the 2.4GHz systems.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 02, 2008, 12:09 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pibb
Isn't the 1.3GHz illegal in the US even with a HAM licence? I've heard that mentioned, although I don't know if it's been verified.
Man here we go with that illegal word again. Technically from what I understand these modules do not have a FCC sticker.. That includes 900, 1.3gig, and 2.4gig.. So you'd have to get a license for all 3 flavors.

However moving on the topic of can it be used on the allocated frequency for ATV..

On Range Video the specs list the following for frequency..

Frequency Range
CH1 1240 MHz
CH2 1280 MHz
CH3 1320 MHz
CH4 1360 MHz

According to this page on Wikipedia for 23cm..

1240-1246 MHz Amateur television channel 1
1276-1282 MHz Amateur television channel 3

So to fit within the ATV frequency regulations you'd have to broadcast only on channel 1 and channle 3. Granted someone is going to pull the sub carrier card and a few other technicalities, but the above is the gist of it.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Apr 02, 2008, 12:41 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Channel 1 and 2 looks like. BTW, the ARRL amateur radio bands states you can transmit from 1240 to 1300MHz, in RTTY, data, phone and image. I'm assuming "image" means video. So according to that, the whole band is open, if you have your HAM license.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Apr 02, 2008, 05:06 PM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9
Anyone compare the 900mhz 500mw to the 1.3ghz 300mw system?

Last month I purchased a 900 system from RV but trhere still out of stock so Vova has offered to send a 1.3ghz system instead . I want to know if it's going to be as good as the 900 gear for getting around obsticles since I use this stuff in my RC truck driving around the house and you guys that follow what I do know that I tried the 2.4 gear but it sucked when driving behind my house where the 900 is solid. Any feedback on the 1.3ghz would be great . Scott
What happen to hobby wireless? I also ordered from RV because Hobby Wireless was out of stock. RV refunded my money after three weeks of waiting. Hobby Wireless says he has them in stock now but almost $100 more than Range Video. I'm still waiting for you to send me your old stuff

I seen an ad for 5.8ghz, any idea on this one? (For Flying)
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Last edited by divemasterphil; Apr 02, 2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2008, 05:24 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,356 Posts
I guess I'll be a test subjet when Vova gets back and order a 1.3ghz system. There is a 5.8ghz Yellow Jacket system out there. I ordered some 5.8ghz Airwave modules and will be posting my results here.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by typicalaimster; Apr 02, 2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Bad Engrish
Old Apr 03, 2008, 10:37 AM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemasterphil
What happen to hobby wireless? I also ordered from RV because Hobby Wireless was out of stock. RV refunded my money after three weeks of waiting. Hobby Wireless says he has them in stock now but almost $100 more than Range Video. I'm still waiting for you to send me your old stuff

I seen an ad for 5.8ghz, any idea on this one? (For Flying)
Hey Bro , so your on here now , good place to learn about FPV.
I like dealing with Hobby Wireless and they always get the gear out fast but I Just needed the 900 TX/RX and HW has complete system with camera, reg, custom pigtail, etc...which I have plenty of. I don't think they offer the gear seperate like RV does

I went ahead and had Vova send the 1.3 TX/RX so I'll test the difference between the two. I was also told that the 1.3 freqs are ok for US with Ham lic.
Old Apr 03, 2008, 11:48 AM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9
Hey Bro , so your on here now , good place to learn about FPV.
I like dealing with Hobby Wireless and they always get the gear out fast but I Just needed the 900 TX/RX and HW has complete system with camera, reg, custom pigtail, etc...which I have plenty of. I don't think they offer the gear seperate like RV does

I went ahead and had Vova send the 1.3 TX/RX so I'll test the difference between the two. I was also told that the 1.3 freqs are ok for US with Ham lic.
Yep, you can learn a lot more here then at wattflyers!
divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Old Apr 04, 2008, 06:48 AM
Joined Dec 2007
100 Posts
really looking forward to the 1.3ghz review. I was recommended the 1.3ghz by range video because it is "less likely to interfere with your heli radio". Glad to hear it's legal, i'll be learning for the exam starting in a few weeks.
mjr_larkin is offline Find More Posts by mjr_larkin
Old Apr 04, 2008, 01:18 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
This guy is using the 1.3 systems - http://www.vimeo.com/raulhc

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Apr 04, 2008, 07:08 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Well it looks like Range Video manage to forget to send the 1.3 ghz RX and I paid for with nextday shipping so it would arrive this weekend. It's been over a month since I placed my order and now only the TX shows up. I'm really bummed now only to find RV is closed till the 15th .
Old Apr 04, 2008, 07:10 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Yep, you can learn a lot more here then at wattflyers!
yeah like where you shouldn't buy your gear .
Last edited by Crash9; Apr 04, 2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: poor spelling due to ranting
Old Apr 04, 2008, 07:13 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Hobby Wireless says he has them in stock now but more $ than Range Video. (For Flying)
Hobby Wireless has better customer support and a better system .