HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Zerts, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:26 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,839 Posts
Discussion
Any computer experts here?

Question - we just got a new Windows XP puter, not top end but very good nevertheless...however, with Netscape dial-up ISP, pages don't load, need to refresh constantly, many little annoying quirks when online....UNLESS disable start-up programs by msconfig.

Please explain whats going on...I never had these problems before with Windows 2000 on a 6 year old puter.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:38 PM
Joined Aug 2004
831 Posts
How much did you disable in msconfig? What Antivirus software? How close is your house to the dial up location?

How often are you getting connected? Do you get kicked off with phone calls? The ISP may be disconnecting you to save money, so...
Accu157 is offline Find More Posts by Accu157
Last edited by Accu157; Mar 31, 2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:11 PM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accu157
How much did you disable in msconfig? What Antivirus software? How close is your house to the dial up location?

How often are you getting connected? Do you get kicked off with phone calls? The ISP may be disconnecting you to save money, so...

1)Just stuff like Office, etc, not involved or necessary for system operation or Internet stuff

2) Norton...and this puter has been online only 4 days, and I don't surf much at all, just check online banking, yahoo email, and this forum.

3) dunno

4)I dial into internet about 4-5 times a day

5) Dial-up is on my second land line, which is shared by FAX machine, and I RARELY get faxes incoming. The first land line is phone calls only.

6) I already know Netscape boots off after a certain inactivity time, not an issue. Thats why they charge only $9.95/mo

BTW - this evening as in my internet session now, no problems at all.
Last edited by Zerts; Mar 31, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2008, 12:05 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
May not be your computer.
When you and your neighbors are online at the same time,
the provider gets overloaded. They don't engineer for 100% capacity
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Apr 01, 2008, 12:14 AM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin
May not be your computer.
When you and your neighbors are online at the same time,
the provider gets overloaded. They don't engineer for 100% capacity

I am logged on again, about 10PM here. No problems at all. I rarely log on this late. I usaully log on in the morning to about noon, yes maybe the cheesy Netscape servers are overloaded during . My wife complains to get hi-speed but I dont need hi-speed because I dont d/l pics or music files, rarely anything over 4 MB .pdf or autocad .dwg files and I do my work on a second computer which isn't internet connected anyway so I don't have to sit and waste time waiting for big .pdf files to d/l from my clients. I think Cox wants $50/month for hi-speed, and biz has been so slow this past 6 months I am tight with money right now.

Netscape gave me 2 months for free anyway.

THe new puter cost $620 and it is incredibly fast, compared to my windows 2000 puter which has much slower RAM and bus speed and the new puter has a SATA HD. I usually use 8-10 mb Excel worbooks for my job (engineering) and have no problems with either puter for running Excel. But thenew puter transfers stuff to my flash drive much faster and its a hoot. It's my second MicroExpress puter and I am 100% happier with it than Dell, Gateway, or HP etc machines.
Last edited by Zerts; Apr 01, 2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2008, 01:13 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,875 Posts
I thought Netscape died, well not actually died but was pensioned off by AOL.

It might be worth thinking of changing to Firefox as your browser if Netscape does have problems.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 01, 2008, 05:27 PM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,839 Posts
It's funny- after hearing all the bad-mouthing about IE, I did switch to Firefox and liked it a lot better. Then, 2 years later, Netscape didn't work and their tech support geeks told me I had to switch back to IE.

I think AOL sucks and totally screwed up Netscape.

At any rate, Netscape seems to work fine later in the evening, which is when I need it the least.

We are looking at bundling, getting rid of our second land line, and going with Cox hi-speed. Then I can tell Netscape where they can insert their ISP
Old Apr 01, 2008, 06:14 PM
Canucklehead
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
827 Posts
AOL ruins everything they touch. That's why hardly anybody uses it anymore. I remember having it back in 1997. It was terrible then and it's terrible now. There's a reason why AOL-Time-Warner shortened their name to just Time-Warner recently. You won't regret the high speed even if it does cost more. I'm sure there's some company out there that can do better than $50/mo though.

Netscape Communications has been defunct since 2003. AOL bought the Netscape name but I'm not sure if there is any real connection to the venerable browser anymore. AOL probably just owns the name and their good will.
Netscape sold off most of their browser source codes to Mozilla. The code was then used to make Firefox. I've been using Firefox since it's been around and I run it on all my computers.
orenda635 is offline Find More Posts by orenda635
Old Apr 01, 2008, 07:13 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts
I am logged on again, about 10PM here. No problems at all. I rarely log on this late. I usaully log on in the morning to about noon, yes maybe the cheesy Netscape servers are overloaded.
I have Verizon DSL and experience the same problems.
Unfortunately, it costs big bucks to build infrastructure. Infrastructure or profit?
The engineering tension is to design the network just big enough to service average flow. Then, everyone comes home at 6pm and jumps on the computer.
Like a freeway bottleneck, maximum traffic causes slow-downs.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Apr 01, 2008, 10:14 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts
I am logged on again, about 10PM here. No problems at all. I rarely log on this late. I usaully log on in the morning to about noon, yes maybe the cheesy Netscape servers are overloaded during . My wife complains to get hi-speed but I dont need hi-speed because I dont d/l pics or music files, rarely anything over 4 MB .pdf or autocad .dwg files and I do my work on a second computer which isn't internet connected anyway so I don't have to sit and waste time waiting for big .pdf files to d/l from my clients. I think Cox wants $50/month for hi-speed, and biz has been so slow this past 6 months I am tight with money right now.

Netscape gave me 2 months for free anyway.

THe new puter cost $620 and it is incredibly fast, compared to my windows 2000 puter which has much slower RAM and bus speed and the new puter has a SATA HD. I usually use 8-10 mb Excel worbooks for my job (engineering) and have no problems with either puter for running Excel. But thenew puter transfers stuff to my flash drive much faster and its a hoot. It's my second MicroExpress puter and I am 100% happier with it than Dell, Gateway, or HP etc machines.
Since you asked for an "expert" we will all hafta wait for ElectricRick to sign on. He is about as good as they come around here. I'm a dabbler by comparison.

I've got the slowest high speed Cox cable has and it is great! They are always pushing the faster packages but if you dig you can find a 1.5 Mbit/sec package for $26.95/month. No tax, no fees, just $26.95 period, forever (not a limited time intro rate). 1.5Mb/sec translates to right around 200kB/sec compared to 3-5kB for dial up (at least 40x faster). Once you have tried it there is no going back....
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Apr 02, 2008, 09:44 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedude
I've got the slowest high speed Cox cable has and it is great! They are always pushing the faster packages but if you dig you can find a 1.5 Mbit/sec package for $26.95/month. No tax, no fees, just $26.95 period, forever (not a limited time intro rate). 1.5Mb/sec translates to right around 200kB/sec compared to 3-5kB for dial up (at least 40x faster). Once you have tried it there is no going back....
Don't need an expert to give good advise like this!

Once you experience Hi speed, you'll be doing a Homer. "Doh!" "why didn't I do this sooner?"

If you have kids, Hi Speed is a must. I've tried helping my kid's school homework research on dial up... Never again!

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC