HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2008, 06:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
2 Legged EP-100 Mods

while on the subject of 2 legged mods.

I had this Gaui EP 100 for a while and flew it stock until the plastic LG gear broke, this happend to you too?, well I fixed that, then the plastic frame broke, twice, so I got tired of repairing the broken parts and did a few G10 frames, for it, but I had put the helicopter away for a while, last night I took it out of the box and felt like putting it back together, with the stock frame, except that it was still broken. Anyways, Grabbed the scissors and knife and some MIA parts, this is what came out of it. Ala MIA Falcon.

I removed most of the frame under the rear section, the LG supports, except for the tail servo mounting. Left the front clean and drilled two holes on the front leg supports of the stock frame, to install a section of MIA TUFF struts, and 2 small skids. This is press fit and CA glued, added a carbon boon (original was aluminum tube), a tail fin to guard the tail and to function as a third stabilizing leg. Added a canopy I'd done for another Sub-Micro helicopter and installed a set of MIA woodies.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Oct 15, 2008 at 05:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
2 legged EP-100 Photos ... continued.

Ok I got some emails on this mod requesting to see how I did the 2 legged conversion and what equipment and parts I am using on this revived EP 100.

Here are a couple more pics, the mod is very simple and worth it if you have a broken stock plastic frame that maybe gathering dust.

Study the photos and you can see where I trimmed and where I left plastic. The drilling for the front mono-strut is the only important part, the strut is 3/16 in diameter and as I mentioned before is part of one version of the MIA TUFF struts for the Micro helis size, I sell. The skid is simply cut to the boot shape.

I will have the parts to do this mod for sale on a new page at my site. This will include the canopy that some people have also asked me about and the wood blades which I am waiting on material to arrive.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Oct 15, 2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 03:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Trimming and Detailing Canopies and Scale Bodies

this is for xizoergetspeed and those of you wondering how to trim and detail the small canopies.

All MIA Canopies come precut, and only require decals and mounting, but this following process applies if you want to cut a special window shape or vents or remove plastic to make them lighter or obtain a special effect with the shape as in the orange one in the attached photos.

Although it is a lot easier to simply add decals in the shape of windows, a cleanly cut window adds greater dimension to a finished canopy.

I used the following tools:

* Hobby Scissors, Tamaya has curved tips and is perfect for trimming scale plastic bodies.
* Dremmel Tool, for careful sanding around corners that scissors cannot make pefect cuts.
* Hobby Exacto knife,for carefully trimming and shaving areas that other tools cannot get too.
* Nail Files, the paper type, small width, to finish and smooth out cuts
* Scoth tape, the light almost trnsparent stuff, to tape the canopy windows from the inside. I cut the windows slightly larger than the window opening so that the windows have an area to seat from inside the canopy.

Detailing with MIA decals or yor own is a simple process of carefully cutting around the patterns and applying them to a clean surface. Clean the siurface with a lithhtly moistened soft tissue paper then let dry.

Photos of canopies finished this way.

Here is, also, a couple videos, on the assembly of canopies that may be helpful. These are for a 2 piece clear.

http://www.micro-flight.com/videos/M...SBLY-PART1.mpg
http://www.micro-flight.com/videos/M...SBLY-PART2.mpg
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Oct 18, 2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 04:28 PM
Joined Sep 2008
121 Posts
Mario,

What material is this made of? Is it more durable than stock?
xizorgetspeed is offline Find More Posts by xizorgetspeed
Old Oct 18, 2008, 05:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizorgetspeed
Mario,

What material is this made of? Is it more durable than stock?
it is made from high impact thermoformable plastic. Very similar to the stock one with the exeption of the MIA PHantom, the carbon look canopies which are more durable. I have cracked the ear tabs on the stock 4#3B canopies from mild crashes, easily, but not so on the MIA Phantom or Edge ones.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Oct 18, 2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 06:03 PM
Joined Sep 2008
121 Posts
I cracked my canopy at the nose... head on collision with the floor from a bad fall.

will yours break too?
xizorgetspeed is offline Find More Posts by xizorgetspeed
Last edited by xizorgetspeed; Oct 19, 2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 09:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizorgetspeed
I cracked by canopy at the nose... head on collision with the floor from a bad fall.

will yours break too?
if you drop or crash hard the helicopter directly on the nose, something is bound to break and most likely the canopy nose because this is what takes the most impact in a fall as described. Unless the canopy is made from rubber beaded foam, such as the white block in the attached photo, in which case it would just bounce, but then with a rubbery material canopy you loose the detail and it becomes more like foamy bulky toy.

I think you cannot geta away from something breaking in a hard fall or crash. No conventional RC canopy which exhibits some level of realism is indestructable.

However if you are flying around and the heli is being toosed or lands moderately hard, I think you will find MIA canopies with a little more resistance to the Stock canopies.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Oct 18, 2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:01 PM
Marty
USA, PA, Media
Joined Aug 2008
1,431 Posts
What is the weight difference between the G10 and carbon fiber frames?

By the end of the week I should have enough spare parts to build another 4#3B, trying to decide if the carbon fiber is worth the extra $.
mrschultz02 is offline Find More Posts by mrschultz02
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:04 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschultz02
What is the weight difference between the G10 and carbon fiber frames?

By the end of the week I should have enough spare parts to build another 4#3B, trying to decide if the carbon fiber is worth the extra $.
I think it is a few grams and worth the expence and also looks very sweet.
i have them is stock if you would like to Order again from me.
thanks, johnw.
www.rchobbyhelicopter.com
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschultz02
Are the 2,4Ghz electronics and metal head stuff worth the $$? KA has the 4#3 for $80!!!!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Oct 21, 2008, 01:16 PM
Marty
USA, PA, Media
Joined Aug 2008
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
Are the 2,4Ghz electronics and metal head stuff worth the $$? KA has the 4#3 for $80!!!!!
I only needed a set of servos and few other minor parts added to my current spares to build another... Of cource after I order the servos I had a 4 in 1 smoke and had to use my spare, so I ordered a bunch of MOSFET chips from Digikey, hopefully I can get my 2 dead 4 in 1s working again.

I never had the original 4#3, but from what I've read the 2.4GHz electronics and servos are better (and lighter).
mrschultz02 is offline Find More Posts by mrschultz02
Old Oct 21, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,891 Posts
[QUOTE=mrschultz02
I never had the original 4#3, but from what I've read the 2.4GHz electronics and servos are better (and lighter).[/QUOTE]
Good to know. There are many of us looking for nice little Winter heli's.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Oct 21, 2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA UPgrades on the Blade MCX

I just updated our site with an ugrade kit for this awesome flying coaxial helicopter!

I was abit skeptical at first when I saw the ads for the E-FLite Coaxial MCX helicoper, but after reconsidering that it is a very light heli and experience has tought me that lighter models fly better, I purchased one.

WOW! my wife who has never flown one flew it out of the box! it is that easy. Maybe too easy for some of us that have been flying the 4#3 and 5G6's but the level of fun is surely there no matter what and please NOTE that although the 5G6 is a totally different machine they are all nice helicopters! and the MCX it is a nice addition to have if you collect these tiny helis, as I do.

After about an hour with the stock product, I started to dream ways to make it look more like a high performance BMW or Ferrari machine, so I started to fit the MIA Phantom and Edge canopies with various fin arrangements, to give it that cool edge look!.

Some of the configurations I was testing produced some interesting flight characteristic and was fun experimenting on this little new coax heli.

The helicopter electronincs is well designed and well thought out, to include ddual rates and full cyclic and instantaneous rudder control! which allowed me to do reverse flying and pirouttes without even trying too hard, but I wanted the helicopter to go into forward flight without me having to push the cyclic stick too much and decided I wanted to move the battery forward but the stock molded plastic LG would not allow me to do so.

Looking also at the stange stock LG shape, made me decide I wanted a more custom and traditional real RC heli looking LG, and thus, I designed one especially for this heli, to fit the stock frame, by simply removing the old and pressing the new G10 LG, with alu skids, in place. I revamped the MIA Carbon style canopies for the 4#3 and added some cool and working stabilizers, the following photo is the result of such mod.

After many enjoyable and fun filled flights with this indoor product, the strictly DC charger which is supplied with AA batteries, as part of the full kit, ran out of power, and so I decided to also Upgrade that to an AC charger plug and supply for unlimited charging of battery, capability. More on this later on.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Oct 21, 2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 07:41 PM
Your Mama's house!
Joined Mar 2005
6,196 Posts
Mario,

Me first please, please, please!
Butters is offline Find More Posts by Butters