SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2008, 05:18 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen
Just a pic I found on another site. I liked It and decided to share here.
And you've posted that in a few other threads here at RC Groups forums.
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Last edited by 1Hammer; Oct 14, 2008 at 05:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:32 PM
Nitro Freak
Canada, Quebec, Saguenay
Joined Jul 2008
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahbouni
You can always shorten the blades and boom if you like but I think it will affect performance.
different lighter servos or modded stocker along with some other mods to remove some weight will be mandatory to moth the 4g3 and keep the performance up

im sure we will see 5xg 4G3s not too long after they release it

throw off the canopy 2g
mod the servos, save 1g + per servo(3g)
.5g of 4in1 cover
.6g from the 3 screws on the servo horns
we should be around 62g already

shorter boom and blades should remove some weight too
Dark-Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark-Angel
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:00 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,054 Posts
REVIEW: The MIA Frame conversion on the Walkera 52

I love the Walkera 52 for flying in the backyard and the nearby park. I've got a Gaui 100 and 200, but the 52 is better for relaxed flying in a smaller area. In fact I like the 52 so much that I've got three: all with a Medusa/Castle Creations conversion and I use the GWS N20 motor for the tail motor. I fly one stock except for the BL conversion. I have another with the Micro Heli Tuning BL Frame with a Gaui 100 shaft and head set. The other was stock UNTIL I GOT MARIO'S MIA FRAME CONVERSION.....I LOVE IT.

Assembly of the frame was pretty straight forward. As with all of his kits, the laser cutting is a piece of art, and his designs are always years ahead of everyone else. (Take the Bumblebee for example..way ahead of its time). I used a micro rat-tail file to make a few adjustments for better fit.

I got one of the first frames that Mario made, and he did not have the canopy at the time. (Unexpected work complications delayed my construction for about two months) I found the Extreme Production canopy made for the Esky 3 to be a perfect fit. The only trouble that I found with Mario's kit is that it balances perfectly with the stock 270 mah battery from Walkera mounted under the 4-in-1, but I use a 3-cell 600 mah pack. With this pack, the heli was very nose heavy. I made a bracket from a piece of the parts tree scrap which I glued across the bottom frame about 1/2 inch in front of the main shaft. With this, the CG is perfect. This way, I can still rubber band the battery in.

FLIGHT REPORT: Smoooooooooooooooooooooooth. I use the Walkera 0703 computerized transmitter which allows much better adjustments: especially for the throttle and pitch curves. The MIA frame seems to turn more precisely and smoother than the others, and it will piro left and right spot-on with virtually no drifting. For some reason, I usually have trouble doing a left turn into myself. (for this reason, I usually fly in a figure 8 so my turns are always away from myself). But with the MIA frame, I tried a left turn into myself, and it was smooooooth as glass. I attribute these changes to the slight differences in the dimensions between Mario's frame and the stock frame and the Micro Heli Tuning frame. I have put it through it's paces for 3 battery packs in my backyard, and all I have to say is WHY DID WALKERA DISCOUNTINUE THE 52 FOR A SECOND TIME....I'm sure the new 4G3 will be a great replacement..the manual shows it to be just slightly smaller than the 52, but considerably lighter....enough of that for now...and yes, I'll get a 4G3 as soon as they are available.

DIFFERENCES between the MIA frame and the others
MIA frame ready to fly without battery...128 grams
Micro Heli Tuning frame ready to fly without battery...130 grams
Stock frame ready to fly without battery...132 grams

MIA main shaft to tail shaft..9 3/4 inches (could extend another 1/4 inch)
Micro Heli Tuning main shaft to tail shaft...8 3/4 inches
Stock main shaft to tail shaft 8 3/4 inches

Mia blade to boom distance...1 1/2 inches
Micro Heli Tuning blade to boom distance...2 1/2 inches (remember, I'm using a Gaui 100 head set and shaft)
Stock blade to boom distance...1 7/8 inches.

Perhaps moving the tail rotor back one inch and raising it about 1/2 inch from the stock frame keeps the tail out of prop wash which aids in the smoothness of the rudder control.

DISCLAIMER: I only fly 2 D on purpose. Any time my helicopter is upside down, I'm crashing, and it was not planned. Your results may vary

Following are two photos. SUMMARY: Good job Mario, it's too bad they Walkera is killing it a second time.
Stan Wilson
Dodge City, Kansas
Swilson50 is online now Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Thanks guys.

Stan, my feelings are the same as yours and probably other people that have and or are enjoying the 52 heli. I really like the mechanics of the 52, very straight-forward and this is one reason I did the Upgrade for such.

But as with most of the Upgrades I do, I like to make them so that if at any time you cannot use them with one particular set of mechanics or equipment, they can be used with another. Take for instance the 4#3 upgrade frames, which I am updating to be used also with the new 4G3 and Dexterity mechanics.

I hope Walkera reconsiders this particular size helicopter because it is in the realm of a true Sub-Micro, like the Bumble Bee but full CCPM, this is the other nice feature why I chose to do the upgrade Frame and Canopy kit.

However, this very same frame can be used with the Bumble Bee mechanics with slightly different gear ratios and additional parts to support the MIA 3/32 ID flanged main shaft bearings. Since the Model Aviation Review on the Bumble Bee back in February of this year, I've been selling the BB with a direct drive and a longer and lighter boom. So this too can be used with the 52# Upgrade frame in a regular FP mode and using practically any mini , either, separates or small 4in 1 contrtoller out there. So I guess my point is that I don't feel too bad if Walkera discontinues the 52#. I honestly hope they reconsider it, not so much because I want to sell the frames but because it is a nice size helicopter to fool around with on rainy days. It cannot be compared to the 4#3 size that is another little beauty that requires those special moments.

Thanks Again I appreciate your candid review.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Oct 13, 2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:02 PM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
That looks awesome! I wanted to get the MIA upgrade for my 52 but got stuck when the screws holding the blade holders got eaten up and absolutely could not remove it. Plus it was battered beyond recognition. Did you have to modify the canopy to make it fit (put extra holes)?
tonyastro is online now Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:13 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,054 Posts
The Extreme Canopy was perfect

The Extreme Canopy for the Esky Lama 3 was perfect. It had 3 dimples that could be punched out. i punched out the last one, and it fit perfectly. It won't fit, however, if you use the 270 ma cells and mount them under the 4-in-1 tray. The bottom of the canopy snugs right up to the bottom of the tray.
Stan in Dodge City
Old Oct 14, 2008, 02:50 AM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Angel
different lighter servos or modded stocker along with some other mods to remove some weight will be mandatory to moth the 4g3 and keep the performance up

im sure we will see 5xg 4G3s not too long after they release it

throw off the canopy 2g
mod the servos, save 1g + per servo(3g)
.5g of 4in1 cover
.6g from the 3 screws on the servo horns
we should be around 62g already

shorter boom and blades should remove some weight too
Good point but I wouldn't want to throw off my canopy. What do you mean by 5xg?
mahbouni is offline Find More Posts by mahbouni
Old Oct 14, 2008, 02:57 AM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swilson50
I love the Walkera 52 for flying in the backyard and the nearby park. I've got a Gaui 100 and 200, but the 52 is better for relaxed flying in a smaller area. In fact I like the 52 so much that I've got three: all with a Medusa/Castle Creations conversion and I use the GWS N20 motor for the tail motor. I fly one stock except for the BL conversion. I have another with the Micro Heli Tuning BL Frame with a Gaui 100 shaft and head set. The other was stock UNTIL I GOT MARIO'S MIA FRAME CONVERSION.....I LOVE IT.

Assembly of the frame was pretty straight forward. As with all of his kits, the laser cutting is a piece of art, and his designs are always years ahead of everyone else. (Take the Bumblebee for example..way ahead of its time). I used a micro rat-tail file to make a few adjustments for better fit.

I got one of the first frames that Mario made, and he did not have the canopy at the time. (Unexpected work complications delayed my construction for about two months) I found the Extreme Production canopy made for the Esky 3 to be a perfect fit. The only trouble that I found with Mario's kit is that it balances perfectly with the stock 270 mah battery from Walkera mounted under the 4-in-1, but I use a 3-cell 600 mah pack. With this pack, the heli was very nose heavy. I made a bracket from a piece of the parts tree scrap which I glued across the bottom frame about 1/2 inch in front of the main shaft. With this, the CG is perfect. This way, I can still rubber band the battery in.

FLIGHT REPORT: Smoooooooooooooooooooooooth. I use the Walkera 0703 computerized transmitter which allows much better adjustments: especially for the throttle and pitch curves. The MIA frame seems to turn more precisely and smoother than the others, and it will piro left and right spot-on with virtually no drifting. For some reason, I usually have trouble doing a left turn into myself. (for this reason, I usually fly in a figure 8 so my turns are always away from myself). But with the MIA frame, I tried a left turn into myself, and it was smooooooth as glass. I attribute these changes to the slight differences in the dimensions between Mario's frame and the stock frame and the Micro Heli Tuning frame. I have put it through it's paces for 3 battery packs in my backyard, and all I have to say is WHY DID WALKERA DISCOUNTINUE THE 52 FOR A SECOND TIME....I'm sure the new 4G3 will be a great replacement..the manual shows it to be just slightly smaller than the 52, but considerably lighter....enough of that for now...and yes, I'll get a 4G3 as soon as they are available.

DIFFERENCES between the MIA frame and the others
MIA frame ready to fly without battery...128 grams
Micro Heli Tuning frame ready to fly without battery...130 grams
Stock frame ready to fly without battery...132 grams

MIA main shaft to tail shaft..9 3/4 inches (could extend another 1/4 inch)
Micro Heli Tuning main shaft to tail shaft...8 3/4 inches
Stock main shaft to tail shaft 8 3/4 inches

Mia blade to boom distance...1 1/2 inches
Micro Heli Tuning blade to boom distance...2 1/2 inches (remember, I'm using a Gaui 100 head set and shaft)
Stock blade to boom distance...1 7/8 inches.

Perhaps moving the tail rotor back one inch and raising it about 1/2 inch from the stock frame keeps the tail out of prop wash which aids in the smoothness of the rudder control.

DISCLAIMER: I only fly 2 D on purpose. Any time my helicopter is upside down, I'm crashing, and it was not planned. Your results may vary

Following are two photos. SUMMARY: Good job Mario, it's too bad they Walkera is killing it a second time.
Stan Wilson
Dodge City, Kansas
Nice report. Did you ever figure a way to set the rudder mix with your 0703 Tx? I have to set my rudder trim fully closkwise before powering up the heli and then set it almost fully anti-clockwise after power up.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 03:22 AM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahbouni
Good point but I wouldn't want to throw off my canopy. What do you mean by 5xg?
I think he meant in the 50's (grams) regarding weight ie 50 something grams.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Oct 14, 2008, 04:34 AM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,060 Posts
Oh I see. I was wondering if it's some other new heli coming out that I didn't know about. Must be too early in the morning for me
Old Oct 14, 2008, 08:35 AM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,054 Posts
Walkera 52 brushless requires pre-setting rudder

Mahbouni,
and others.

The only drawback that I've found with the brushless 52 is that I still have to pre-set the rudder to almost full right trim before turning on the receiver. Then,
move it back to about 1/2 full left to fly. I forget once in a while..that is until I'm about 6 inches in the air and spinning like a top. I'm using the GWS N20 motors, and they don't seem like a perfect match, but they have carbon brushes so they last.

Enjoy the 52....and sooooooooooooon the 4G3.

Stan in Dodge City
Old Oct 14, 2008, 04:49 PM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,060 Posts
Yes that's exactly what happens to me sometimes. You know the Blade CP Pro 2 will have a 2-in-1 mixer that allows you to use your own Rx? This might be the way forward or perhaps the 4G3's 4-in-1 will be useable.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 02:25 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Tampere, Finland
Joined Feb 2007
961 Posts
In my opinion, the only drawback of the 52 was the heavy (and bendy) aluminium frame. Mario's frame looks like a fantastic upgrade. I really hope they keep making the servos and other parts as spares. I think the 64c1 (brushless belt tail CP the size of the 52) was absolutely fantastic and would have bought one if they hadn't discontinued it.

Anyway, 4G3 will be shipping soon! It appears they are also releasing a brushless conversion kit for it! The 4in1 has connections already for a main motor ESC and a rudder servo!

Sorry for all the exclamation marks, but this little heli makes me excited!... ! ...!!!

-Oobly
oobly is offline Find More Posts by oobly
Old Oct 15, 2008, 03:40 AM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobly
I think the 64c1 (brushless belt tail CP the size of the 52) was absolutely fantastic and would have bought one if they hadn't discontinued it.
Yep, I love my 64#C. I had to do a lot of mods but it flies so sweet after that. I bough every spare I could lay my hands on as soon as I knew it would be discontinued. I don't fly it too often so I can make the spares last.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 05:01 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA Upgrade Frames - Mods for the 52# ... Continued

This is one of the 52# I had in stock form that I broke the original struts on a hard landing.

Back in 2001 I had done a series of Ultra-Light Sub-Micro frames for a 2 legged helicopter in various materials. The Molded one , also known as the MIA Falcon or "chicken Legged" heli frame, some of you might remember, happened to lend itself quite well for the LG mod, show in the attached photos, because of similarities in shape.

The original 52# LG shape is almost an exact copy of the one I did back then, but smaller, except my LG was integral part of the main shaft and tail boom support, molded as one piece. So I decided to remove the post on the MIA 2-legged frame/LG and ended up with just the struts. I hackked two of them in this manner and drilled some holes matching the 52# underside of the alu frame plate and installed with screws to the existing alu frame of the 52#. The result is in the phtos with the orange canopy, this is a much beefier LG mod than the stock 52# comes with, but not overall as strong as the MIA Upgrade Phantom Frame for the 52#.

Just for fun and because we are near Hollowen, I added an orange/black canopy that I designed for the 2-legged molded frame.

After digging out 2 legged frame and doing this mod, It dawn on me I could bring back the chicken legged frame, because with todays technology it could be made into a super lightweight helicopter. This was my intention when I designed such back in 2001, when I sold a few of them to some micro heli tinkerers, but RC equipment and batteries in particular were still heavy by todays standards. I was using an IPS motor back them with HS55 and GWS pico servos. Today same IPS or better yet a medium speed BL Feigao could be used on 2 cell and with direct drive for a supper flyer with almost any similar Sub-Micro heli mechanics. I thought I add this comment on the 2 legged frame because of the similar size to the 52# and I was jut going through some bins and found the 2 legged frames.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Oct 15, 2008 at 05:16 AM.