1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski
That is looking great!
I love the look of the 5 blade head.
Can't wait to see more.
Jason
Thanks again,

It is preliminary at the moment , but I figured, if I was going to do a scale MD500E for the 4#3, it had to have a 5 bladed rotor for total realism. This is quite challenging since the control of such is a bit tricky without adding to much complexity and weight. I already figured one way but there are more ways, and once I start approaching manufacturing of such another way will pop up, this normally happens, in production as parts are made and tried and tested.

My goal with this is to obtain total scale flight which means that the helicopter will have to fly slower and a bit heavier also. the 5 Wood blade have plenty of liftr!. I love the MD 500 E and so I am going to put a great deal of effort into finalizing his little dream by Xmas.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2008, 10:29 PM
Life Auditor
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2006
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
For simplicity the Retrofit LG G10 support is CA glued to the existing frame side, this may not be readily aparent but it is a super strong! joint, it will not come appart easily, if the pieces glued are cleaned first. G10 (Fiberglass) glues extremely well, when it is clean, to itself and to plastics.
Thanks for the detailed explanation and for providing such cool parts. But, I'd still like a weight tally of the kit please.

Quote:
I have a set of your Tuffskids and they are the kind of thing every heli needs.
Great! Can you weigh them? Maybe a ballpark figure?
Azimov is offline Find More Posts by Azimov
Old Oct 02, 2008, 01:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2008
23 Posts
Quote:
Azimov,

Is this what you are looking for?

MIA TUFF Strut/Skid Kit for the 5G6:

* 2 TUFF Struts
* 2 TUFF Skids
* 2 G10 Strut Supports

These arer under 5G6 Upgrades.
http://www.micro-flight.com/Walkera%205-6.htm
Excuse me for buddin' in, I didn't realize there are so many interesting upgrades for the 5g6. I've an old 5g6 with the wk0405 transmitter & receiver, I think the main frame is a little different than the 5g6-1. The tuff parts look so clean and cool. I think I might just try my hands on these upgrades. Thanks for the info. Also if anyone is looking for the older version of the 5g6 with the old wk0405 transmitter you can get one for only $88 now at raidentech.com and if you want the newer 5g6 package that includes the 2.4g transmiter you can get it for $99 at wowhobbies.com. May be I'll get the 2.4g version and do the upgrades on it instead of the old one.

I saw the 5 blade upgrade for the 4#3. Does it have more power or is the power cancelled out by the extra weight, I wonder? But it's a beaut.

thanks you all
usarmyguy is offline Find More Posts by usarmyguy
Old Oct 02, 2008, 04:15 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usarmyguy
I saw the 5 blade upgrade for the 4#3. Does it have more power or is the power cancelled out by the extra weight, I wonder?
A? where you find that?
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Oct 02, 2008, 01:21 PM
Life Auditor
Joined Oct 2006
540 Posts
OK guys. The silence is deafening.

Is it safe to assume that the landing gear upgrade is so heavy that you can't possibly post it publicly in fear of potential lost sales?

This is beginning to feel like asking questions about the MCX in the other merchant threads. If this forum is about retailers presenting product in only the best light possible and not allowing or encouraging discussion then it has lost it's usefulness and is simply a convoluted commercial with groupies.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 02:39 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimov
OK guys. The silence is deafening.

Is it safe to assume that the landing gear upgrade is so heavy that you can't possibly post it publicly in fear of potential lost sales?
The weight of the MIA TUFF Struts-Skids for 4#3 is 2.4 grams.
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Oct 02, 2008, 02:59 PM
Life Auditor
Joined Oct 2006
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer
The weight of the MIA TUFF Struts-Skids for 4#3 is 2.4 grams.
Thank you so much!!
I'm not sure what was so hard about that for others.
I'd still like a weight on the kit for the 5G6s, but I don't think I'll hold my breath.
I'm just not willing to pay 16-17 dollars for a kit to be delivered that I possibly can't use.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 04:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimov
Thank you so much!!
I'm not sure what was so hard about that for others.
I'd still like a weight on the kit for the 5G6s, but I don't think I'll hold my breath.
I'm just not willing to pay 16-17 dollars for a kit to be delivered that I possibly can't use.

You asked you could not find it our site, so I place the item there for you,
Then you mentioned you didn't like the way it is designed. I am sorry but that is how the kit comes.
You asked for weights: You have two references now the one with the hardware for the 4#3, that hammer posted (Thanks) and now for the 5G6 below.

I have videos of my 4#3s, and throughout this thread with the same type of LG but with the hardware (even slightly heavier) and yes, it does work.

The price is $7.99 for the kit, shipping is standard fees. The cost is probably cheaper, if you look at it in terms, that it will save you additionally, in parts, if you land hard and saves your heli. This is not a guarantee because if you land sideways and your rotor hits first, then that is just tought luck!, but if you land vertically or anyway that the LG makes contact with ground first , you can bet your heli will be well protected.

The MIA TUFF kit is a lot tougher than the the stock LG. You will not snag it on carpeting also. As always there are some small compromises and yes the TUFF LG is heavier than the stock, but that is the tradeoff for the benefits it offers.

I hope this answered all your questions.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Oct 02, 2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 04:34 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Sorry Azimov,I went to weigh the skids yesterday and the batteries were flat on my scales.
By the time I charged the batteries,I forgot to weigh the bits for you.
Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Oct 02, 2008, 05:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Additional Progress on Resurrecting and older 5-6.

Here is another 5-6 that I am building for a friend. This one has the stock plastic parts, and he wanted a white MIA Edge canopy with the TUFF LG.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 06:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Looks good will you be selling that kind of canopy too? Also could you make a good looking tail fin differnt to the 5g6-1's tail fin? (dont like shape)
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Oct 02, 2008, 08:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcr001
Looks good will you be selling that kind of canopy too? Also could you make a good looking tail fin differnt to the 5g6-1's tail fin? (dont like shape)
Yes, That canopy will come with a set of fins, this will be up in our site soon.

I want to take the opportunity to also point out that the MIA TUFF Miniature LG, comes in two options, either for the 4#3's or 5G6's

Option 1 (Vertical Strut Style) :

* Molded Struts
* Molded Skids and CA Glue on Mounting pegs.
* G10 Strut Supports

This provides a LG structure that places the struts vertical (like in the previous white canopy picture)

Option 2 (Angled Strut Style), also happens to be my favorite:

* Molded Struts
* G10 Skids (Press Fit inside the ends of the Struts)
* G10 Strut Supports

This provides with a stylish LG structure that places the struts swept back. Gives the helicopter a different persona (As in attached photo)
Old Oct 02, 2008, 08:30 PM
Life Auditor
Joined Oct 2006
540 Posts
Quote:
I hope this answered all your questions.
Yes it does, and thank you very much.
I never questioned whether the LG works or not, on the contrary, I'm sure it works very well. But, in micro terms, as I'm sure you would agree, "works" must always include an assesment of component weight.
I also was not complaining about price, simply pointing out what it would cost me to answer my question first hand.

Now that I have information that I can use to make a more educated decision, I can look at the various kits again and decide which works for my particular needs. Thank you again.

My point in posting my concerns about some aspects of the LG kits was to incite thoughts on how they could be improved even more. It had nothing to do with whether I liked them or not. I do like them and said so. If I didn't like them I would have written them off when I first saw them on your website. But, since I do like them and had some ideas on how to use them and maybe improve them, I posted here and in another thread asking about them.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 08:34 PM
Life Auditor
Joined Oct 2006
540 Posts
Quote:
Sorry Azimov,I went to weigh the skids yesterday and the batteries were flat on my scales.
By the time I charged the batteries,I forgot to weigh the bits for you.
Jason
no problems.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 09:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Resurrecting the old 5-6 - In Flight Pictures.

Your welcome Azi. Just making sure you have all the information.

OK here is some more work that I am doing on the old 5-6 with the retrofits mentioned. In this following photo I installed the LG with the G10 skids, notice the angled struts, that is because the skids are made with angled press fit pegs as part of the design, these are the one I like best. It adds another .2 grams but it flies very nicely. I have yet to add the tail fins, debating wether to add more color to the canopy with decals.