HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:00 AM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
Many people already have the 52# and probably spares already, and they are probaly not flyig them because the 52# helicopter, can give you some headaches, if not set up correctly.
Yes, many people have the 52# and probably have SOME spares. Right now people are probably thinking either or both of the following things:

1. Buy up loads of spares and keep it going for as long as possible.
2. Sell it to someone else before all the spares dry up.

In both these options the eventual outcome is no spare parts and a dead bird. This will destroy the investment you made in producing your MIA upgrades. Sooner or later they will become obsolete. The only way you can stop this is to either license the parts and have Walkera continue producing them for you or you can source different parts from another helicopter, e.g. Gaui 100 plastic version. In the second case it won't be a 52# any more so you could rebrand it what ever you like. I really like my 52#. It was my first CP heli and I learned to fly with it. It has somewhat of a cult status and I hope there is some future for it.
mahbouni is offline Find More Posts by mahbouni
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:32 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
This is in response to a question that was asked regarding why I don't license the Walkera 52# parts I need to complete a full helicopter with the MIA 52# UPgrades and sell the helicopter as my own. In view that the 52# may or might be discontinued.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post10634375 POST 167-168

Many people already have the 52# and probably spares already, and they are probaly not flyig them because the 52# helicopter, can give you some headaches, if not set up correctly.

I almost shelved my 52#'s, when I first got them, but I decided to spend a little time with the product and see how I could really enjoy it without too much hassles. I really like the size, it is like my Bumble Bees but with less durability, however with collective mechanics and a little more setup involved. So I tweaked the settings and installed a set of MIA woodies, flat bottom, same blades I use on the Bumble Bee (I sent John Wood some of these blades also). The helicopter performs very nicely. I did have to relocate the battery forward, toward the nose, to get the proper CG.

I had one misshap with the stock heli and MIA woodies, I missed my landing spot, in one flight, and instead hit a rock and broke the stock LG, as expected. Had I been flying the MIA Full Upgrade for the 52# the LG would have been intact.

For collective pitch blades on the 52# helicopter you do need for brushless power and a more powerful tail motor.

So here are my Variations and Options for the 52#:

1) Stock with MIA Flat Bottom Airfoil Wood Blades:

Type of Flying Expected: Doscile with Very good air penetration and control. Great for backyard or small area park flying.
No 3D flying.

a)Use this setup with stock Brushed motors and Stock Geared Tail Drive
or
b) Use tis setup with Stock Brushed motor, or MIA 180, and MIA 52# Direct Tail Drive Kit (Motor and Blade)

2)Brusheless with MIA Flat Bottom Airfoil Wood Blades

Type of Flying Expected: Animated with great air penetration and control. No 3D flying, but will require a nice size park to fully enjoy this compbination. You can also fly backyard but you will not see the full potential untill you take it out to the open

Use this setup with Medusa or similar Brushless motor and 8 or 9T pinion, and Stock Geared Tail and Stock Blade with MIA BUmble Bee Tail motor.
Great post Mario!
Also guys i supplied Mario with his Medusa Brushless set up for his 52 Phantom.
my kits have been selling and performing well.
if interested see them here: http://www.rchobbyhelicopter.com/sto...o%20Helicopter
i use this set up myself with my 52.
i will be building a Phantom with Brushless set up soon!
cheers, JohnW
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:47 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
as far as I know the #52-1 is gone, but the #52 is not going anywhere anytime soon.
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
Old Sep 29, 2008, 01:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Thanks John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen
as far as I know the #52-1 is gone, but the #52 is not going anywhere anytime soon.
The 52#, is a nice helicopter with great potential, especially in a 2.4 GHz version. I really enjoy making the upgrades for it, as it allows me to enjoy this heli in a more confident way.

Many years ago I introduced the House FLY, then, The Falcon and Bumble Bee Sub-Micro class FP helicopter kits. The 52# came later on, in this class, but in a CP version, and much as, is the Bumble Bee size, for backyard and small park flying, so is the 52#. If you can fly 3D and are willing to invest the time to tweak it and install a good brushless combo it will perform very nicely. There is no reason to shelf this helicopter, get them out and fly them.

These are my recent settings while using the MIA Flat Bottom Woodies, no 3D, just a nice setup that you can enjoy in a calm lazy afternoon.

Dip Switch on rear of transmitter:

1. Ele On
2. Aile On
3. Thro Off
4. Rudd On
5. GEar Off/ON doesn't matter
6. Pit OFF
7. Rudder Mix On
8. Norm/CCPM On
9. CCPM/ELE OFF
10. Pitch Lock OFF
11. THRO CRV/EXP On
12. Gyro Sens/RUDD Mix Off *

* For normal hovering and mild flying around only, turn this ON, I was doing fast circuits and wanted to have more tail control via the Rudder stick, rather than the gyro/mix taking over, too much, so I set this to Off.

The V1 and V2 Pots on the Transmitter are very sensitive to changes, so go easy on these settings until you find that right spot that makes the helicopter lift off "smoothly", on my particular radio, in addition to the above dip switch settings, I set pots V1 around 2 and 3 o'Clock and V2 around 8-9 o'clock, this is the tweaking I was talking about earlier, if you spend a little time with these settings, you can have the 52# operating smoothly. Otherwise you will notice that the helicopter may be too animated and jumpy especially with the fully symetrical blades, reason I recommend not using them if you don't really fly 3D.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:36 AM
Joined Jul 2008
100 Posts
I know, it is well known that if you take an old worn-out 4#3b motor to bits, you can find two washers that you can use for the feathering spindle.
But did you know, that if you twist the part where the bushes connect to, with a pair of pliers, and twist it all off so you have a bare shaft sticking out, you have four more washers.

Derek.
wufer is offline Find More Posts by wufer
Old Sep 29, 2008, 03:58 PM
Life Auditor
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2006
540 Posts
Hey Mario,
I got a problem. I was on your site yesterday looking at the tuff skids you sell for the 4#3 series of helicopters. I noticed that you sell the skids, struts, 8 screws, and the spacers as a kit, but the two plates shown in the pic are not included. After looking forever, I came to the conclusion that the plates cannot be bought seperately from the entire heli frame packages.

I have a 5G6-1 that I want to put the tuff gear on, but I need those plates to make a custom mount to my 5G6-1 frame. I don't need the entire frame kit. What do I do? Is there anyway to get those plates?
Azimov is offline Find More Posts by Azimov
Old Sep 29, 2008, 04:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimov
Hey Mario,
I got a problem. I was on your site yesterday looking at the tuff skids you sell for the 4#3 series of helicopters. I noticed that you sell the skids, struts, 8 screws, and the spacers as a kit, but the two plates shown in the pic are not included. After looking forever, I came to the conclusion that the plates cannot be bought seperately from the entire heli frame packages.

I have a 5G6-1 that I want to put the tuff gear on, but I need those plates to make a custom mount to my 5G6-1 frame. I don't need the entire frame kit. What do I do? Is there anyway to get those plates?
Can you post a picture of your heli, because I have different adapter plates for different coaxial versions.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 05:12 PM
Life Auditor
Joined Oct 2006
540 Posts
The Walkera 5G6-1 is basically a 5G6. I think the frames are the same on the bottom, but I could be wrong.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 07:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA UPGRADE LG FOR Walkera 5G6 Coaxials

Azimov,

Is this what you are looking for?

MIA TUFF Strut/Skid Kit for the 5G6:

* 2 TUFF Struts
* 2 TUFF Skids
* 2 G10 Strut Supports

These arer under 5G6 Upgrades.
http://www.micro-flight.com/Walkera%205-6.htm
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Sep 29, 2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:12 AM
Life Auditor
Joined Oct 2006
540 Posts
That looks like it might work. I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old Oct 01, 2008, 01:47 PM
Life Auditor
Joined Oct 2006
540 Posts
Been thinking about these skids for awhile now.
First, I like the way they look. Only thing I would change in that regard is the bend at the front of the skids. They are bent straight up, but when glued to the struts, they angle in slightly. This will give the heli a "pigeon toed" look that I don't like. Just changing the angle of the glue points would fix that.

I don't like the pieces glued to the battery box or the press fit idea. Too many pieces added and not a sturdy connection. I suppose it is meant as a safety feature so the gear pops off in a crash rather than breaking, but I don't like it and I know what happens to pressure fits over time, they loosen. This will probably need to be glued eventually and that is just not a strong join at that point in the structure. I want to bolt them on and I don't want a second frame glued around the stock one.

What does it weigh??????????????????????? In comparison to the stock gear, I would say a heck of alot. I also know that for every gram of weight added to the 5G6 helis, one loses a minute or more of flight time and it also adds additional wear to the battery and motors causing premature failure.

In conclusion, I think they need to be lighter, attach more firmly, and lose the extra parts.

I've looked at the MCX gear which can be bought as a replacement part for 5.00. I don't really like the look of it as it seems the struts curve backwards as they come down to the skids. They do look very light though.
Old Oct 01, 2008, 08:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Revamping the old 5-6 with New MIA Upgrade Parts

For simplicity the Retrofit LG G10 support is CA glued to the existing frame side, this may not be readily aparent but it is a super strong! joint, it will not come appart easily, if the pieces glued are cleaned first. G10 (Fiberglass) glues extremely well, when it is clean, to itself and to plastics.

The LG kit weights less than the ones I have been sucessfully selling for the4#3, because it uses no hardware. So weight is not really an issue in tradefoff for total LG durability and protection for the rest of the helicopter.

Here is a new picture of the progress on revamping the old 5-6 to the new look.

I have fitted the original 5-6 FM receiver under the hood and using an MIA Edge Canopy with black window, to dress it up. This is a 2 part canopy that I will offer also on my site under the 5G6 page.
Old Oct 01, 2008, 08:46 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Mario,
I have a set of your Tuffskids and they are the kind of thing every heli needs.
A wide stance,Iam guessing they are unbreakable within reason and they look really good.
I have used the old chrome dome ends off Walkera 52 skids to finish these off nicely.
Do you have any plans for some dome endcaps for these skids in the future?
Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Oct 01, 2008, 08:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA Scale MD500E - 5-Bladed Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski
Mario,
I have a set of your Tuffskids and they are the kind of thing every heli needs.
A wide stance,Iam guessing they are unbreakable within reason and they look really good.
I have used the old chrome dome ends off Walkera 52 skids to finish these off nicely.
Do you have any plans for some dome endcaps for these skids in the future?
Jason
Thanks Jason,

I have made the same TUFF LG kits for all sorts of helis and many are out there, just that some people don't know about them. I use them in various forms, and on various helis, with G10 skids, with molded skids, with Press fit skids, etc. I am still using them on the Walkera helis for the same reasons that they provide a heck of a heli saver. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=905

Endcaps? Yes, but I have to create the tooling , a metal mold for injecting plastic. This is on my to do's list.

I am also looking at various ways to produce more realistic parts and bodies for Palm Size helicopters, like the 4#3 and 5G6 and similar ones. So I am working on this MIA MD 500E project. Currently I am fine tunning the original body which I created using real helicopter measurements and photos. I started with single piece body but I wanted a molded clear canopy, and will have molded skids and struts as an option. I am also working on multiple rotor head designs for the 4#3. Starting with a 5 bladed design that I have been wanting for my 4#3's for the longest time. Things look promissing and as soon as I have them finalized I plan to offer them. Some pictures of this project follows.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Oct 01, 2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2008, 09:09 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
That is looking great!
I love the look of the 5 blade head.
Can't wait to see more.
Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski