SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2008, 01:42 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
This is a preliminary look at things to come.
Using Walkera 4#3 Mechanics and a CP head that is to come out soon.
Blended all with MIA Upgrades for this awesome new helicopter look.

That'll be sweet, now if we could only get a good belt or shaft driven solution for the tail, then we could actually do 3D with this bird.
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2008, 03:05 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
This is a preliminary look at things to come.
Using Walkera 4#3 Mechanics and a CP head that is to come out soon.
Blended all with MIA Upgrades for this awesome new helicopter look.
what receiver can be used with a CP Config??
Not sure if there is a receiver small enought to fit the 4#3 for collective pitch.
-johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2008, 03:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
what receiver can be used with a CP Config??
Not sure if there is a receiver small enought to fit the 4#3 for collective pitch.
-johnw
It looks to me like Mario is just planning to use the base of the 4G3 once released with his Mia frame rather than a home built setup. The image he is using is a photoshop of the 4G3 with his parts on it......at least that what it looks like to me
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Sep 20, 2008, 07:44 PM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
It looks to me like Mario is just planning to use the base of the 4G3 once released with his Mia frame rather than a home built setup. The image he is using is a photoshop of the 4G3 with his parts on it......at least that what it looks like to me
Yup I think that's what he means.
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old Sep 21, 2008, 01:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
1 Cell Brushless System - For Walkera 4#3 MIA MD 500E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
Yes, this is exactly what it is.

The 4G3 is scheduled to come out before the end of this year. So The MIA frames will work very nicely with the collective Walkera mechanics.

When I designed the MIA 4#3 Upgrade Frames, originally, this was my goal, to have a frame that can not only take the Losi and similar brushless motors for 3D, but a frame structure that will hold the extra servos and components for CP.

The way I designed the tail boom length, that come with the MIA upgrade Frame kits, also lend themselves ready for CP, because of the longer tail, this is where I recommend the use of the geared tail box, because for CP you will need the extra speed and torque that a gear box provides. Otherwise, for FP the tail runs fine direct drive, with the stock motors, as I've explained before in this thread and as on all my videos. The other option is to go also with a brushless DR tail.

This should all work with 1 cell, minimizing he need for additional separate electronic converters and and extra cell. There are already 1 cell brushless systems that will work with the 4#3 nicely, but the thing is that we still have to piece parts together, the 4G3 should have it all in one nice controller ready for us to customize to a super CP setup. So this is inspiring.

MIA MD 500 Scale Body and Frame

I am working on this helicopter body and frame, same MIA G10 /Carbon Upgrades Frame, but with a revamped LG to be in scale with the real MD 500 helicopter, for a "true to scale" model.

Being that the Hughes 500 ( MD 500E) has always and still is one of my favorites, and having done these bodies for larger micro helis, I decided to make my own body for the 4#3 and similar size palm size helis.

Because the 4#3 swashplate is rather large diameter, it is hard to try to make a body without ending up with a more whimsical look around the section that shrouds the swashplate. Quite a bit of planning has gone into the MIA MD 500E setup, especially for production, a body that is in true scale and with delicate crafted details along with a with a clear canopy for added realism, but this project is very close. The batteries are hidden quite effectively inside the body.

The doors have hinges and knobs which will be apparent in the final versions, so that the helicopter looks as realistic static, as in flight. This should fly beautifully with CP setup. I have test flown it with the stock motors on all 4#3 versions, but flight times are limited, this is the trade off with a full scale canopy. However, 1-2 cell brushless setups will fly this for extended periods with no problem.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Sep 21, 2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 08:49 PM
fly to win. win to fly.
clovis, NM
Joined Mar 2008
426 Posts
hello, i have scowered the internet where can i get mia upgrades????
dog chaser is offline Find More Posts by dog chaser
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:36 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
http://www.micro-flight.com/

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:00 PM
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,765 Posts
[QUOTE=MarioIArguello]Ok I couln't wait for the Walkera 4#3 Collective pitch so I made one for Real Flight G3.5. The standard model can be downloaded from KE Forum, but the model doesn't fly well, so I considerably enhanced the flight dynamics to get the results that you see in the attached video. It has collective and more powerful engine. If the real 4#3 could be modified for collective and have a real miniature nitro engine, it woudl fly like I am flying the model in the video, perhaps better in the hands of a PRO.

Hi Mario,

Did you happen to post this modified 4#3 in KE swap pages?

Because I can't find it, if no would you be so kind to share it?

Thank you.

Paulo.
blackmoon is offline Find More Posts by blackmoon
Old Sep 22, 2008, 07:13 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Also Get MIA Parts Here MIA Dealer..
http://www.rchobbyhelicopter.com/sto...MIA%20Products
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 22, 2008, 07:20 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Walkera 4#3FM version

Here is a tip guys.
The 4#3Fm version is a lighter and a more powerful heli than the current 4#3B heli. therefore if you are wanting to fly with a scale body this version is best.
Just use the MIA Flybar Tuning Kit and it will be as stable as the current model. And they are on sale at a very appealing price! Anyone who has had all the versions will tell you this.
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
[QUOTE=blackmoon]
Quote:
Ok I couln't wait for the Walkera 4#3 Collective pitch so I made one for Real Flight G3.5. The standard model can be downloaded from KE Forum, but the model doesn't fly well, so I considerably enhanced the flight dynamics to get the results that you see in the attached video. It has collective and more powerful engine. If the real 4#3 could be modified for collective and have a real miniature nitro engine, it woudl fly like I am flying the model in the video, perhaps better in the hands of a PRO.

Hi Mario,

Did you happen to post this modified 4#3 in KE swap pages?

Because I can't find it, if no would you be so kind to share it?

Thank you.

Paulo.
I will post them on my site this week. I got a couple other variations of the 4#3 for RF G3.5
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
5 Good Reasons for using the original 4#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
Here is a tip guys.
The 4#3Fm version is a lighter and a more powerful heli than the current 4#3B heli. therefore if you are wanting to fly with a scale body this version is best.
Just use the MIA Flybar Tuning Kit and it will be as stable as the current model. And they are on sale at a very appealing price! Anyone who has had all the versions will tell you this.
-johnw
John, I think most people that have flown the original 4#3 will share similar sentiments about the FM version.

Putting the Metal parts aside, on the 4#3B, I honestly like the FM version, I said that before in this thread and will say it again for the following reasons:

1) A great simple FP little flyer
2) Easily Upgradable
3) Now cheaper than later more heavier versions
4) Works great with full scale bodies like the MIA MD 500E http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1295,
because the gearing is different on it and it is lighter than the 4#3B.
5) Parts are exchangeable with newer versions and MIA UPgrade frames

The options are many. I have several of these original FM versions I bought just to keep them in various MIA mods. Now that the prices have gone down on them, I don't think they will be on shelves much longer, so perhaps this is a good time to stock up on them.

I hope you still have the MIA original frames I did for them, the ones with the single holes for the serovos because I stopped making them when the 4#3A and B versions came out and I started making the upgrade frames with the double holes. There is a nostalgic attraction to these first upgrade frames I did and I might just make some more because I have been getting some requests for the upgrade frame for original FM version.

Some more pictures, some of these remind me, that simplicity in the first FM version was part of the inspiration, for me making the upgrade frames and canopies/bodies, for the 4#3 line.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Sep 29, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:46 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
John, I think most people that have flown the original 4#3 will share similar sentiments about the FM version.

Putting the Metal parts away from the 4#3B, I honestly like the FM version, I said that before in this thread and will say it again for the following reasons:

1) A great simple FP little flyer
2) Easily Upgradable
3) Now cheaper than later more heavier versions
4) Works great with full scale bodies like the MIA MD 500E because the gearing is different on it.
5) Parts are exchangeable with newer versions and MIA UPgrade frames

The options are many. I have several of these original FM versions I bought just to keep them in various MIA mods. Now that the prices have gone down on them, I don't think they will be on shelves much longer, so perhaps this is a good time to stock up on them.

I hope you still have the MIA original frames I did for them, the ones with the single holes for the serovos because I stopped making them when the 4#3A and B versions came out and I started making the upgrade frames with the double holes. There is a nostalgic attraction to these first upgrade frames I did and I might just make some more because I have been getting some requests for the upgrade frame for original FM version.

Some more pictures, some of these remind me, that simplicity in the first FM version was part of the inspiration, for me making the upgrade frames and canopies/bodies, for the 4#3 line.

I agree, Mario

problems with v1- was twitchier- without dampened head was not quite as forgiving to noobs- same with the gearing- if flown well is better gearing

but for those just learning- going to fry something much easier-usually the motor- on a v1

so it is kinda backwards

the blinged out 4#3b is great for beginners stock- the original version is more for those who can already fly it- and great for modding and experimenting

the other real main drawback to the v1- is its crappy servos

as I have ranted about- the v2 servos are alot better than originals

but wont fit on v1 frame without lots of work

that is where you frames come in

have used yours brushed and bl- would reccomend them

great mod

but I would point noobs to the cheaper g10 frame-- takes crashes better

though I do like the 2.4 -very nice and hassle free- I had a few problems with ALL my 4#3- 72mhz

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:39 AM
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,765 Posts
[QUOTE=MarioIArguello]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoon

I will post them on my site this week. I got a couple other variations of the 4#3 for RF G3.5
Thank you, Mario
blackmoon is offline Find More Posts by blackmoon
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Walkera 52# Upgrades - MIA Phantom Helicopter

This is in response to a question that was asked regarding why I don't license the Walkera 52# parts I need to complete a full helicopter with the MIA 52# UPgrades and sell the helicopter as my own. In view that the 52# may or might be discontinued.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post10634375 POST 167-168

Many people already have the 52# and probably spares already, and they are probably not flying them because the 52# helicopter, can give you some headaches, if not set up correctly.

I almost shelved my 52#'s, when I first got them, but I decided to spend a little time with the product and see how I could really enjoy it without too much hassles. I really like the size, it is like my Bumble Bees but with less durability, however with collective mechanics and a little more setup involved. So I tweaked the settings and installed a set of MIA woodies, flat bottom, same blades I use on the Bumble Bee (I sent John Wood some of these blades also). The helicopter performs very nicely. I did have to relocate the battery forward, toward the nose, to get the proper CG.

I had one misshap with the stock heli and MIA woodies, I missed my landing spot, in one flight, and instead hit a rock and broke the stock LG, as expected. Had I been flying the MIA Full Upgrade for the 52# the LG would have been intact.

For collective pitch blades on the 52# helicopter you do need for brushless power and a more powerful tail motor.

So here are my Variations and Options for the 52#:

1) Stock with MIA Flat Bottom Airfoil Wood Blades:

Type of Flying Expected: Doscile with Very good air penetration and control. Great for backyard or small area park flying.
No 3D flying.

a)Use this setup with stock Brushed motors and Stock Geared Tail Drive
or
b) Use tis setup with Stock Brushed motor, or MIA 180, and MIA 52# Direct Tail Drive Kit (Motor and Blade)

2)Brusheless with MIA Flat Bottom Airfoil Wood Blades

Type of Flying Expected: Animated with great air penetration and control. No 3D flying, but will require a nice size park to fully enjoy this combination. You can also fly backyard but you will not see the full potential untill you take it out to the open

Use this setup with Medusa or similar Brushless motor and 8 or 9T pinion, and Stock Geared Tail and Stock Blade with MIA BUmble Bee Tail motor.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Sep 29, 2008 at 02:10 AM.