HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2008, 02:17 AM
Joined Oct 2006
3 Posts
Hi Guys, try the narrow blade modification on the original 4#3. It simply works great. With original battery pack, I can get ~8 min flight time. And it looks and sounds really good with the slim blades
KyoSan is offline Find More Posts by KyoSan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:18 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoSan
Hi Guys, try the narrow blade modification on the original 4#3. It simply works great. With original battery pack, I can get ~8 min flight time. And it looks and sounds really good with the slim blades

lol

that was last years mod!

but does work good

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Aug 24, 2008, 08:31 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Ultra Precision Screwdriver for the 4#3

I designed this screwdriver especially for Palm Size Helicopters, like the Walkera 4#3, MIA and similar ones that uses ultra miniature hardware that require finesse and ultra precision.

While working on the 4#3 helicopters, I had tried all sorts of precision screwdrivers, but none of them had the finesse, smoothness and ultra precision that I was looking for.

Most of the precision screwdrivers out there are designed for bigger projects requiring a screwdriver with heavy grip or handle for torquing the screw open or close, this is not required on the 4#3 screws since too much torque or the wrong screwsdriver tip will ruin the tiny screw heads.

So I designed this one, with a precision high quality tip and a handle made from CNC anodized aluminum, which also matches the red anodized parts of the 4#3 B helicopter and the rest of MIA aluminum red anodized upgrades for the 4#3s.

Makes a great tool for the 4#3 helis or any project that requires an ultra precision philips tip screwdriver.

Works and feels confortable, the tubular thinner diameter of this MIA tool allows for greater handling finger tip precision , when tightening or lossening those ultra tiny screws, especially those on the Walkera 4#3 helicopter rotor head.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Aug 24, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 08:59 AM
4#3B 2s Owner
Italy, Pavia
Joined Jun 2008
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
I designed this screwdriver especially for Palm Size Helicopters, like the Walkera 4#3, MIA and similar ones that uses ultra miniature hardware.

I had tried all sorts of precision screwdrivers but none of them had the finnesse, smoothness and ultra precision that I was looking for.

So I designed this one, from CNC anodized aluminum, which also matches the red anodized parts of the 4#3 B helicopter and the rest of MIA alu upgrades for the 4#3s.

Makes it a great tool for the 4#3 helis or any project that requires an ultra precision philips tip screwdriver.

Works and feels confortable, the tubular thinner diameter of this MIA tool allows for [B]greater handling finger tip precision [/B, when tightening or lossening those ultra tiny screws, especially those on the Walkera 4#3 helicopter rotor head.

where do you buy it?

p.s. sei italiano?
ITALion is offline Find More Posts by ITALion
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALion
where do you buy it?

p.s. sei italiano?
These new items will be up on MIA Micro-FLIGHT's web site shortly.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 05:30 PM
Joined Dec 2007
215 Posts
If anyone is interested in those Wes-technik servos. I have a pair of these and they are brand new and never used. I will consider $50 bucks shipped OBO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaaa
Thanks for your advices. so I ordered one 4#3B plus a LOT of spare parts and spare motors.

I will fine tune it: I will NOT go brushless, but instead I will try to make it as light as possible (by reducing the weight, I will make life easier for the motors, and therefore reduce the motor over-heat & short life span issue)

So....have you tried those 1,6 grammes servos:

http://www.falconmodels.uk.com/acata...tion_page.html

or more realisticaly those 2 grammes servos :

http://www.wes-technik.de/English/light_ng.htm

Also, for the AC they have a 1,4 gramme brushless :
http://www.wes-technik.de/English/Motors-Brushless.htm

and they also have a 1,6 Grammes dual brushless ESC for helico that drive BOTH the AC and the main motors :

http://www.wes-technik.de/English/controller.htm

1 - High-Frequency-Controller HF250 twin:

this controller consists of two Highfrequency controller and has been developed especially for use in micro helicopters. One of the controller is used for the main rotor motor - the second controller on the PCB is used to control the tail rotor - both with an extremely high 256step sensitivity. With the 250kHz clock frequency they allow a long life for both - the main motor and the tail motor.

Price 96,00 Euro/ pcs.
Dimensions (mm): 17 x 16 x 7
Mass (without wires): 1,6 g
Mass (with wires): 2,7 g
Clock Frequency 250 kHz
All other technical data are the same as
for the HF100 described above.

2 - High-Frequency-Controller HF100 Heli:

this controller has been developed especially for an extremely sensitive 256 step control for optimized operation of Helicopter tail rotor motors e.g. for the Eco Piccolo. The high clock frequency of 100 kHz allows a long lifetime for your tailmotor even if a high battery supply voltage of 11V from 3 cells Li-Ion batteries is applied to your controller.

Preis 64,00 / pcs. Dimensions (mm): 17 x 8 x 7
Mass (without wires): 1 g
Mass (with wires): 2 g
All other technical data are the same as
for the HF100 described above.

.... so I am now in the race for a 40gr 4#3B

OH, one more question: I read that some folks have succefully reduced the lengh of the blades (or have made them thinner) in order to increase the rotor RPM. This has 2 main advantages apparently: reduce the motor consumption and make the heli more stable (thanks to higher head speed).
--> is it true ? If YES, for the lazy guys like me , are there some smaller blades from other Micro-heli that will be directly at the right size ?
micron5 is offline Find More Posts by micron5
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micron5
If anyone is interested in those Wes-technik servos. I have a pair of these and they are brand new and never used. I will consider $50 bucks shipped OBO.
I have a pair of the Westek servos, myself, the early ones which look almost identical to the pictures you posted. The only trouble I had with them is the tiny spur gears kept coming loose and the linear pot sliders kept jaming. At the time I used them, several years ago, on a tiny helicopter and also on a small Ultralight mode, they were the only ones that would fit on these models without adding too much weight. IMO you are better off with a couple Walkera 4#3 servos, cheaper and mechanics are fully enclosed for about the same weight, they also have better torque specs.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Aug 25, 2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA Phantom Kits - Upgrade for Walkera 52#

Ok, I had some time this past weekend to finish the canopy for the MIA Phantom heli Kit which was designed for the Walkera 52# mechanics.

Recap:

I have been a little fond of the Walkera 52# mechanics, for quite some time, since they first appeared on the market, but, perhaps as many other folks who have the 52#, was not happy with the metal frame and LG, that kept bending and breaking. This particular helicopter is also very snappy, in stock form and if you are beginner you will have a hard time trying to hover it, this is due to a few factors that are part of the original design. One of them being the type of blades that come with the stock product.

For the above reasons and my own personal desire to keep the 52# CCPM mechanics, which I really like, I decided to do the Phantom kit.

The MIA Phanton Kit:

Is basically a whole new helicopter frame, boom, tail gear box for direct or geared tail, and fin made from G10, add to that a much stronger carbon boon and MIA TUFF LG for ultra durability, top that with a MIA Phantom canopy for a totally new look.

Basically, all you need to do is add the 52# mechanics and electronics.

You can use the stock 52# Symetrical blades, or for those starting out, I recommend using the MIA Woodies (as pictured) which make the helicopter a lot easier to fly by nature of their particular design, size and shape.

Attached is what the Upgrade looks like. The canopy is being molded in the same carbon like material that is used on MIA Phantom canopy upgrade for the 4#3, but currenty it is white for this picture and setup.

Some Key Details:

I wanted also a way to use various motors and so the kit comes with a separate motor adapter, that has means for mounting various motors from the stock, to the IPS, Medusa, 150, 180, and even 280 size motors. I am curretnty flying this heli with a MIA Bumble Bee Sub-Micro 180 carbon brush motor, nothing fancy, this allows for a nice backyard flyer, with the MIA woodies.

For more agressive flying, a brushless 180 size motor is recommended along with the stock symetrical blades.

I also wanted a way to mount various types of RC equipment, and this helicopter upgrade is no different than my other MIA Frame upgrades which allow for greater room and flexibility to use various other types of RC equipment. You can use the stock electronincs or use your own separates.
Plenty room.

I also wanted to have the room for mounting various size batteries under the belly and towards the front of the heli and hide this under the canopy, the kits allows for this also, and you can use the stock battery or a more powerful, larger one, with plenty room for wires and connectors to be hidden away under the canopy.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Aug 25, 2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:04 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I had some time this past weekend to finish the canopy for the MIA Phantom heli Kit which was designed for the Walkera 52# mechanics.

Recap:

I have been a little fond of the Walkera 52# mechanics, for quite some time, since they first appeared on the market, but, perhaps as many other folks who have the 52#, was not happy with the metal frame and LG, that kept bending and breaking. This particular helicopter is also very snappy, in stock form and if you are beginner you will have a hard time trying to hover it, this is due to a few factors that are part of the original design. One of them being the type of blades that come with the stock product.

For the above reasons and my own personal desire to keep the 52# CCPM mechanics, which I really like, I decided to do the Phantom kit.

The MIA Phanton Kit:

Is basically a whole new helicopter frame, boom, tail gear box for direct or geared tail, and fin made from G10, add to that a much stronger carbon boon and MIA TUFF LG for ultra durability, top that with a MIA Phantom canopy for a totally new look.

Basically, all you need to do is add the 52# mechanics and electronics.

You can use the stock 52# Symetrical blades, or for those starting out, I recommend using the MIA Woodies (as pictured) which make the helicopter a lot easier to fly by nature of their particular design, size and shape.

Attached is what the Upgrade looks like. The canopy is being molded in the same carbon like material that is used on MIA Phantom canopy upgrade for the 4#3, but currenty it is white for this picture and setup.

Some Key Details:

I wanted also a way to use various motros and so the kit comes with a separate motro adapter that has means for mounting varios motros from the stock, to the IPS, Medusa, 150, 180, and even 280 size motros. I am curretnly flying this heli with a MIA Bumble Bee 180 motor carbon brush, nothing fancy, this allows for a nice backyard flyer with the MIA woodies.

For more agressivre flying a brushless 180 size motro is recommended along with the stock symetrical blades.

I also wanted a way to mount various types of RC equipment, and this helicopter upgrade is no different than my other MIA Frame upgrades whcih allow for greater room and flexibility to use various other types of RC equipment. You can use the stock electronincs or use your own separates.
Plenty room.

I also wanted to have the room for mounting various size batteries under the belly and towards the front of the heli and hide this under the canopy, the kits allows for this too and you can use the stock battery or a more powerful larger one with plenty room for wires and connectors to be hidden away under the canopy.
very nice!

the one thing I wish for for a #52 though is a alu head block

this heli needs one more than almost any other heli I have seen!

almost every other heli hes some kind of alu upgrade-except the #52

I have snapped sooo many of the main head pieces it is not funny

I wish some company would just do the main head block in alu!

no blade grips, seesaws etc- just the main block

everything thing else is at least usable

but that is very pretty birdie mario!

sorry, ranting

I would buy your upgrades- but I know the head block will snap again

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:04 AM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microkites
very nice!

the one thing I wish for for a #52 though is a alu head block

this heli needs one more than almost any other heli I have seen!

almost every other heli hes some kind of alu upgrade-except the #52

I have snapped sooo many of the main head pieces it is not funny

I wish some company would just do the main head block in alu!

no blade grips, seesaws etc- just the main block

everything thing else is at least usable

but that is very pretty birdie mario!

sorry, ranting

I would buy your upgrades- but I know the head block will snap again

mk
Isn't the 52#1 or the 64#C alu? Not sure
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old Aug 26, 2008, 02:52 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
64#C1 is,but it is nothing like the 52 mechanics.
Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:27 AM
Bertrand MICHELS
Belgium
Joined Nov 2003
1,411 Posts
Mario, I received your upgrades. Nice stuff !

One question: what do I do with the 4 ROUND small pieces (the Rotor Head Blade Mounting Plastic Washers ?) that are supplied with the "flyber stability tuning kit" ?

Also, in your video you mention a "control link enhancement kit", but is is not on your WEB-Site ? Did you abandoned it ?

And finaly, let us know when you will have the wood blads available for the 4#3B

sincerely
bmaaa is offline Find More Posts by bmaaa
Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaaa
Mario, I received your upgrades. Nice stuff !

One question: what do I do with the 4 ROUND small pieces (the Rotor Head Blade Mounting Plastic Washers ?) that are supplied with the "flyber stability tuning kit" ?

Also, in your video you mention a "control link enhancement kit", but is is not on your WEB-Site ? Did you abandoned it ?

And finaly, let us know when you will have the wood blads available for the 4#3B

sincerely
Thanks.

The 4 small round pieces that come with that upgrade are fine tunning washers for the 4#3B blades to fit better on the alu head.
The stock head has too much play when you mount the blades and so these 4 pieces, 2 per blade(1 top and one on the bottom), allow the blade root to be the right thickness so that it fits on the head better. You will need to punch the blade mounting screw through the pieces once they are installed on the blades.

I did mention a control link enhancement tool, but I found the that other upgrades like the Swashplate Standoff Shaft Collar, takes care of any play in the area of the swahplate and links and so there was no need to do the link adjustment tool.

I am working on the woddies..
Old Aug 28, 2008, 04:20 AM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
I am working on the woddies..
They should make a great difference to the flight characteristics. Should get rid of alot of the pitch up in fff.
Awesome. Well done Mario

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Sep 04, 2008, 02:37 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA Phantom-Walkera 52 - Continued...

Here is the Phantom in two tone canopy and in full Carbon look.

I can't decide, the white canopy and carbon pattern windscreen or full carbon -stealth look. Eventually I will normally venture into molding them in various colors, as well, as I like to have that option also.

Updates at my site, here are a couple of pictures to go along with this post.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Sep 04, 2008 at 02:45 AM.