Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
Nice Job!!
-johnw
Thanks John, actually I have a couple of reasons for doing this battery frame upgrade, one being the ease of changing batteries. The other I will hopefully be posting in a new thread in the near future pending my receiving the needed materials.

As a hint, let's just it has to do with illumination.
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2008, 10:52 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Sweeeet!
-johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 03, 2008, 11:32 PM
CULIACAN SINALOA MEXICO
Joined Aug 2005
550 Posts
does this thread contains any upgrades or info on the #52.?
raptorddd is offline Find More Posts by raptorddd
Old Aug 05, 2008, 05:38 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
I've always been a tinkerer, so when I discovered these little guys, I just couldn't leave it stock and Mario's frames are so cool.

With the addition of my modified stock 4#3 battery frame to my latest MIA G-10 frame with Ultra Miniature TUFF Struts/Skids, which already has my geared tail rotor to MIA G-10 mod, I'm really starting to be able to fly this thing!

I'm completely new to RC flight at any scale.

I've had experience with real helicopters when I was in the service, but that was almost forty years ago & RC choppers are a totally different animal, orientation and all. Balance and proper set-up are essential, there are some great posts in Micro Helis that help with that, which is very cool.

Anyway, I'm doing my flight training in a fairly confined area and I'm able to hover very steady for thirty to forty seconds and land softly. I'm now starting to fly in circles and feel I am starting to get it. With this current MIA G-10 frame set-up, it's flying very smooth and stable, even for a novice like me.

Can't wait to get my MIA CF frame so I have another project to work on, OK, I'm just addicted.
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Last edited by 1Hammer; Aug 05, 2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2008, 02:51 PM
Joined Jul 2008
14 Posts
Mario, do you have any of the G10 kits for the 4#3B in stock? Preferably the rigid skid version (slightly cheaper) as I'd like to use the Tuff skids. Thanks!
fastev is offline Find More Posts by fastev
Old Aug 09, 2008, 01:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA Frames Update

For the past month it has been a very hectic time, in taking cake of many intricacies in our growing small business. We picked up a new distributor in Japan and this also slowed down our operation, You wouldn't think so, but research and installation of adequate new equipment, requires considerable time and can be an undertaking, in itself.

Once again, many apologies for being away from this forum and not been able to post an update on a regular basis, but I am happy to announce that we are back to into the swings of things again. We have added more manpower and equipment, to satisfy this small, but fun, nitch of the hobby. All of you that share the same passion, as we do, for these little helis, is what makes our task fun and less of a job.

If you have been waiting for one of the MIA Frames, chances are that next week you will have it at your doorstep. New orders will still take a little longer, as we catch up, but we are very close to shipping same day we get the order in. Bear with us folks, many of you have been very kind, and my crew and I, thank you.

I am no longer handling, myself, the mailing of product, too busy with running the shop and trying to get new poduct into our site. My wife Sylvia is handling orders and shipments. She has all these boxes lined up and ready to go as soon as we include the rest of the pieces with the frame kits.
She is also responsible for managing the production of those cool little anodized red parts, which are patiently made, carefully assembled, packaged and labeled, by her. My son and 2 daughters are also responsible for helping us bring MIA products to your doorsteps. I could not do it all without their help and support.

E-mails... If you have any technical questions, please continue to forward them to my attention, for ordering and shipping question please forward them to Sylvia, via our E-mail at our site.

Whenever possible, it has been customary of me to make a post with a picture or two, to put a little color into the raw text, so here is a picture. If you ordered one of the rigid frames and have been patiently waiting for it, you are probably seeing it in this batch, right off the press, so to speak, which are going out on Monday.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Aug 09, 2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2008, 02:22 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Which is also good news for my customers too!
As i will be getting a large order from Mario next week!
thanks, john w.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 09, 2008, 10:37 PM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
He lives! Mario lives!
tonyastro is online now Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old Aug 09, 2008, 11:08 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Hi,
I just wanted to show off my new MIA 2S heli and thank Johnw,Mario and all the group that has helped me learn enough to get this far.
Yes even the beginners who ask noob questions help because they ask some questions I have never asked myself and that does help.
Thanks guys,
Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Aug 09, 2008, 11:11 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
That looks awesome Jason!
How does she fly?
What pinion gear did you use for the Losi Motor?
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 09, 2008, 11:28 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
That looks awesome Jason!
How does she fly?
What pinion gear did you use for the Losi Motor?
-johnw
Thanks John,
I found a 9 tooth pinion on an old motor.I think it came from a cheap coax heli.It had heaps of power with the standard pinion,but flight times were anly 2 minutes or so.Iam getting aroung 5 minutes now with the 350mah.
Iam taking it easy still at the moment until I get it set up almost perfect.
It is very stable in the air,but Iam only really hovering tail in for now.
Jason
Old Aug 09, 2008, 11:45 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
flight times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski
Thanks John,
I found a 9 tooth pinion on an old motor.I think it came from a cheap coax heli.It had heaps of power with the standard pinion,but flight times were anly 2 minutes or so.Iam getting aroung 5 minutes now with the 350mah.
Iam taking it easy still at the moment until I get it set up almost perfect.
It is very stable in the air,but Iam only really hovering tail in for now.
Jason
wow only 5 minutes. it must be a really bad gear ratio for the losi.
My Fully Brushless Micron flies for 10 minutes on a 25mah 2S!
my gear ratio is 10.8:1.
10 tooth pinion and 108 tooth main gear.
you need to shoot for 10.8:1 gear ratio for optimum efficiency of the losi motor. BTW i am using the 10250Kv Losi and the 3.5g outrunner in the tail.
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2008, 01:06 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
wow only 5 minutes. it must be a really bad gear ratio for the losi.
My Fully Brushless Micron flies for 10 minutes on a 25mah 2S!
my gear ratio is 10.8:1.
10 tooth pinion and 108 tooth main gear.
you need to shoot for 10.8:1 gear ratio for optimum efficiency of the losi motor. BTW i am using the 10250Kv Losi and the 3.5g outrunner in the tail.
-johnw
Iam using a standard 4#3 v1 main gear. I think it is 72 teeth.
I just found a 9 tooth pinion,but I don't think the teeth are deep enough.
Do you stock an ideal pinion and main gear set?
Jason
Old Aug 10, 2008, 02:57 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Going Brushless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski
Iam using a standard 4#3 v1 main gear. I think it is 72 teeth.
I just found a 9 tooth pinion,but I don't think the teeth are deep enough.
Do you stock an ideal pinion and main gear set?
Jason
No i don't. you need a 7 tooth pinion for a 10.29:1 gear ratio. they are no where to be found. this i why i haven't converted any of my 4#3B or 4#3FM
helis. and why i have done it on my micron. the 10 tooth pinion and 108 tooth main gears are perfect. plus there is more room on the micron airframe for the conversion. None of the BL Walkeras fly as well as the origonal set up.
it's a compromise. I'd rather just keep replacing motors. besides i'm still on my origonal motors. (50Flights)+
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2008, 03:47 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
No i don't. you need a 7 tooth pinion for a 10.29:1 gear ratio. they are no where to be found. this i why i haven't converted any of my 4#3B or 4#3FM
helis. and why i have done it on my micron. the 10 tooth pinion and 108 tooth main gears are perfect. plus there is more room on the micron airframe for the conversion. None of the BL Walkeras fly as well as the origonal set up.
it's a compromise. I'd rather just keep replacing motors. besides i'm still on my origonal motors. (50Flights)+
-johnw
Not to worry,
I just had a fly and it went for 6 minutes 20 seconds.
That was with a 9 tooth pinion.I think the 7 tooth would be too small for a 1.5mm shaft.
I will look around for a larger main gear.Maybe 97 would be good with the 9 tooth pinion.
Jason