HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2008, 05:55 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Well done 1Hammer,
The extra time and care you have invested shows on this one.
Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2008, 08:17 AM
Joined Dec 2007
6,528 Posts
Very nice job 1Hammer......looks fantastic!!
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Jul 15, 2008, 08:22 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Thanks very much for the compliments, I'm having great fun with these little machines.

I've been experimenting with the 500 mAh upgrade battery John is selling and have found a good way to solder wire & connectors so they are very secure. I just bend the foil + & - tabs back over the flat part of the battery, then crimp the tabs around 21 AWG silicone wire and solder, I do this individually of course to avoid shorting out the battery. With that accomplished, I put a piece of heat shrink tubing on the end of the battery to hold the soldered leads securely in place and make sure it is beyond the silicone insulation on the wires going to the battery connector. I then solder the battery connector in place, in this case a Deans 2R Micro Plug and you're ready to go.

The weight is a bit more than the stock battery 2.9g, however I found I needed a bit more weight in the nose due to the lighter 2.4GHz electronics with the G-10 frame, so the added weight helps balance the bird without having to position the battery as far forward.

1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Jul 19, 2008, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
HI John,
Since your a fountain of information I was wondering if you would know the spur count of the old 4#3.

Thanks
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:08 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whilrybird
HI John,
Since your a fountain of information I was wondering if you would know the spur count of the old 4#3.

Thanks
Looks like 73 but it's hard to count those tiny teeth.
Thank you for the complement!
-johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:11 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer
Thanks very much for the compliments, I'm having great fun with these little machines.

I've been experimenting with the 500 mAh upgrade battery John is selling and have found a good way to solder wire & connectors so they are very secure. I just bend the foil + & - tabs back over the flat part of the battery, then crimp the tabs around 21 AWG silicone wire and solder, I do this individually of course to avoid shorting out the battery. With that accomplished, I put a piece of heat shrink tubing on the end of the battery to hold the soldered leads securely in place and make sure it is beyond the silicone insulation on the wires going to the battery connector. I then solder the battery connector in place, in this case a Deans 2R Micro Plug and you're ready to go.

The weight is a bit more than the stock battery 2.9g, however I found I needed a bit more weight in the nose due to the lighter 2.4GHz electronics with the G-10 frame, so the added weight helps balance the bird without having to position the battery as far forward.

Geat Job abd Good idea!
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:38 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
Thanks John.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:56 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
Hey on the losi brushless 4#3B, I heard that its best to run the stock main gear, but are you guys using the stock pinion or dropping tooth count to something like 8 or 9?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:27 AM
Joined Apr 2005
4 Posts
So I recently purchased a Walkera 4#3 from xheli - http://www.xheli.com/walkera-dragonf...elicopter.html

Not knowing about the 4#3B and whatnot. I'm very happy with it, and am having a blast with this thing.

I unfortunately had a more serious crash and broke off one of my flybar paddles. I've ordered a replacement upgrade from micro-flight.com.

In the meantime I trimmed the flybar and re-attached the paddle onto a now shorter flybar. I stupidly started up the heli with no blades to check the balance, and noticed one of the gold metal retaining pieces flew off, and is long gone. I've also lost the bit that holds the flybar in place in the center (forgive me as I don't know the proper names of the pieces, and can't find an exploded parts chart of this particular heli)

I was wondering if I could also order a the 4#B alloy swash plate and use it on my original 4#3? Where would be a good place to order this in the states?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: After doing a bit of research I found and ordered this - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=310064610259
Which came to be a little cheaper than ordering them separately from a site like ehirobo.com.
Treytor is offline Find More Posts by Treytor
Last edited by Treytor; Jul 20, 2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:46 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Hey on the losi brushless 4#3B, I heard that its best to run the stock main gear, but are you guys using the stock pinion or dropping tooth count to something like 8 or 9?
The Best Gear ratio for the Losi motor is 10.8 to 1.this will have the losi running at 111 degree F.
So the stock gearing would not be good for the Losi.
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:47 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
swash,see-saw,shaft,t/r,boom,bearings,tailcase,knighthead are compatible between versions

rotorheads,bladesholders,maingear,pinion,batterytr ay,frame,servos arent

v2(4#3a or b) flybar has flat spots for better paddle alignment-but can be used on both

t/r blades are differant but compatible-same with skids(just better wire I think)

booms are still the weak point imho

use my fav mod and get thinner stronger boom( I use ss ) and dip in l.e.t. and pressure fit like marios mia frames-smaller diam boom offsets weight of heavier material-and pressure fitted so no breaking

might need thinner t. wires to fit through boom-but using magnet wire for t.motor is a great mod anyway-people dont notice their tail wires breaking-even if their boom didnt-on a tailstrike-get bad tail motor response

that wont happen with magnet wire-lighter weight is good too!

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:53 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
So i think the 4#3 Spur gear is 73 tooth therefore you need at least a 7 tooth pinion gear to give a gear ratio of 10.43 to 1. this gets you close.
this is for 2S set up.
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Last edited by johnIn2SonAZ; Jul 20, 2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 01:04 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Dec 2007
1,027 Posts
Quote:
stock main gear as in v1 main gear? If so I don't think you want to go below 10t for the pinion. Loses too much oomph, with 10t its marginal. Oh we're talking about a 1s setup right? with 2s its a whole different ball game.
fretman is offline Find More Posts by fretman
Old Jul 20, 2008, 01:07 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman
stock main gear as in v1 main gear? If so I don't think you want to go below 10t for the pinion. Loses too much oomph, with 10t its marginal. Oh we're talking about a 1s setup right? with 2s its a whole different ball game.
No i'm talking about 2S set up.
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 20, 2008, 01:14 AM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
What's up with the missing swashball in the CNC head upgrade kit?
I know, just pop it out from the stock one and insert it but still......
SebastianJ is online now Find More Posts by SebastianJ