HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2008, 03:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Rotor Head Damping O-Rings

The Durometer of the material used in the damping rotor head o-ring can make or break the helicopter's performance.

Too soft of durometer will yield a rotor head that flops a lot and makes control of helicopter more difficult.

Too hard of durometer will introduce a too tight of rotor head and vibrations will appear in the rotor head. For tiny Helicopters, such as the 4#3
it is preferable to have damping, on the rotor head, on the softer side, but not too soft.

Size of O-Rings is important as you want as much of a perfect match, as possible, of the O-Ring ID to the Rotor Axle's OD and the O-Ring OD to the Head's ID O-ring pockets.

O-Rings come in various rubbery materials. Best to experiment until you have the right "damping tension" on the rotor head so that you get smooth and precise rotor head stability and control.

Keep in mind that this is only one area, of the complex rotor head mechanical system, that plays a part in the stability and control of the helicopter performance. The other areas are in the flybar, tip weights, paddles size, how high the rotor sits in relationship to the weight under the belly, it is important also to remove as much slack as possible in all the mechanics that provide control to the helicopter, thus attaining a much more precise controllable and flying machine.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2008, 02:43 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
No I would never order from ehirobo. I'm gonna hold off giving names till they respond to my email with a resolution.

Anyone experience a shimmy when flying the 4#3b usually happens when transitioning from forward flight to a stop.

Also wondering if anyone has an idea how many amps the heli uses to power everything up?
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Last edited by whilrybird; Jun 16, 2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 03:00 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whilrybird
No I would never order from ehirobo. I'm gonna hold off giving names till they respond to my email with a resolution.

Anyone experience a shimmy when flying the 4#3b usually happens when transitioning from forward flight to a stop.

Also wondering if anyone has an idea how many amps the heli uses to power everything up?

I donít know why you are so against Ehirobo. Iíve ordered from them before including 4#3B and they ship within 24 hours and respond within a few hours to any questions I had.
Almaz is offline Find More Posts by Almaz
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:59 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
4-3 parts@rchobbyhelicopter.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenchal26
do you have the o-rings and main motors in stock also?
I have the 001 O-rings from Granger and 4-3B V2 Motors in stock but just a few left.
-johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 18, 2008, 01:25 AM
Nottingham UK
Joined Jan 2007
288 Posts
Mia 4#3b

Hi mario , my 4#3b flys very well stock , but im dying to have a go at one of your frames , so the question is which setup have you found the best ?
I was thinking g10 frame rigid , preset deluxe flybar and a canopy
Is there anything else you would add to this list ?
Also have you tryed a 4#3b brushless setup yet ? using your upgrades
Cheers Ross
pristo82 is offline Find More Posts by pristo82
Old Jun 18, 2008, 02:50 AM
Gaui X2 & Protos Mini FBL
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
758 Posts
Does a MIA Edge cannopy fit to standard 4#3B frame? I would like to save some weight with the cannopy. I have understood that MIA cannopies are 1.2g lighter than 4#3B the standard one. At this time I am not willing to uppgrade to a whole MIA frame. I want to keep my 4#3B as small and lightweight as possible.
Picofly is online now Find More Posts by Picofly
Last edited by Picofly; Jun 18, 2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 08:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
More on MIA upgrades for the 4#3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by pristo82
Hi mario , my 4#3b flys very well stock , but im dying to have a go at one of your frames , so the question is which setup have you found the best ?
I was thinking g10 frame rigid , preset deluxe flybar and a canopy
Is there anything else you would add to this list ?
Also have you tryed a 4#3b brushless setup yet ? using your upgrades
Cheers Ross
Hi Ross,

I personally like the Carbon Flex with the cool flex struts but I don't crash land as often as a beginner pilot so this is the way I would go if I was looking from the outside into the upgrades at my site. I would also go with an "Edge" canopy or the "Phantom Carbon Pattern" one, because they were designed for the MIA frames, specifically and they give the helicopter a unique personality. These frames also provide improved flight characteristic by nature of their design.

I would recommend getting the MIA TUFF Ultra-Miniature LG, as a retrofit to the MIA frames for the 4#3's or as a direct retrofit to the stock 4#3's, any of them. This particular LG was made avaialble, in response to people requesting a more durable one. This is also one of my favorite items, because of its ultra durability and utility, but for looks, I like the carbon struts that come with the Carbon frames. Some folks like the Rigid ones, I do too but these may be a bit to rigid for beginner pilots.

The Preset Deluxe Flybar is an excellent upgrade, these really increase the stability of the rotor head and you will feel the difference right away. I would also add the matching anodized shaft collar-swashplate standoff, this part keeps the swashplate from moving up and down. You can do this with a couple spacers made from plastic tubing really easy, but the alu parts have a preset height and makes install a snap, these also add to the aesthetics of the whole helicopter by complementing the red rotor head parts of the 4#3B.

There is also a brand new training gear, this follows in the tradition of the MIA TUFF LG so this one is calle the MIA TUFF Training gear - Palm Size helis, it has been specifically developed for palm size helis such as the 4#3, there is also one for the 52# pictures of these new items will be at my site this week end.

Get the 500mah battery that John carries , also these are very nice batteries. John has also done some brushless setups and he has the motors to do so. I have done custom brushless setups, as well, but I don't sell the motors. John carries MIA upgrades as well so if you want to order all in one shot, John can also set you up with MIA upgrades. We can also help you via my site. Thanks.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Oct 19, 2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 08:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picofly
Does a MIA Edge cannopy fit to standard 4#3B frame? I would like to save some weight with the cannopy. I have understood that MIA cannopies are 1.2g lighter than 4#3B the standard one. At this time I am not willing to uppgrade to a whole MIA frame. I want to keep my 4#3B as small and lightweight as possible.
Picofly,

Take a look at my earlier post, the one with the pictures of the canopies on the digital scale. The MIA Edge canopies (any color that is on my site) are lighter than the stock 4#3B canopies. Even the MIA PHantom Canopies are lighter than the Stock 4#3B one, so whcih ever you chose should keep your 4#3B lighter. If you go brushless and direct drive I recommend the MIA frames.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 08:45 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
There is also a brand new training gear, this follows in the tradition of the MIA TUFF LG so this one is calle the MIA TUFF Training gear - Palm Size helis, it has been specifically developed for palm size helis such as the 4#3
Mario, I was going to place an order tomorrow however I'm wanting to wait for the new training gear, will I be able to purchase the MIA TUFF Training gear by adding to my shopping cart this weekend?

Thanks, John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:00 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Dec 2007
1,029 Posts
Hey Mario,

I just received one of your latest MIA frames for the 4#3, but it must be one of your old stock. It doesn't fit my 4#3b stuff on it. can you send me the 'new' one? I already have a couple of the old ones for the original 4#3.

Also how do you fit the TUFF landing gear? It gets in the way of mounting the battery on the heli.
fretman is online now Find More Posts by fretman
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer
Mario, I was going to place an order tomorrow however I'm wanting to wait for the new training gear, will I be able to purchase the MIA TUFF Training gear by adding to my shopping cart this weekend?

Thanks, John
Yes. But wait till you see the item on my site so you know what the traiing gear looks like and you can simply click on the shopping cart button.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman
Hey Mario,

I just received one of your latest MIA frames for the 4#3, but it must be one of your old stock. It doesn't fit my 4#3b stuff on it. can you send me the 'new' one? I already have a couple of the old ones for the original 4#3.

Also how do you fit the TUFF landing gear? It gets in the way of mounting the battery on the heli.
Send me your full name and address via email to MIADSGNS@COX.NET and I will take care of it.

The TUFF LG mounts in various ways. I will take a picture and post it later on so that you can chose the mounting method that works with your particular setup. If you are simply attaching the TUFF Struts from under the frame, use a piece of foam sheet to make up the different of space so that the battery clears the stuts.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:58 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Dec 2007
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
Send me your full name and address via email to MIADSGNS@COX.NET and I will take care of it.

The TUFF LG mounts in various ways. I will take a picture and post it later on so that you can chose the mounting method that works with your particular setup. If you are simply attaching the TUFF Struts from under the frame, use a piece of foam sheet to make up the different of space so that the battery clears the stuts.
Thanks! you should have an email from me already.
fretman is online now Find More Posts by fretman
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:58 PM
I Like Deraring
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jan 2008
1,006 Posts
a very stable 4#3 v1

i used a piece of antenna rod for a tail boom, and a stiff metal wire for the flybar and wow what a stable heli!

the biggest difference i noticed was with the stiffer metal tail boom. not only do i not have to keep replacing tail booms, i now have a much more stable heli!!!

has anyone broken the frame of the heli from an antenna rod tail boom?

it seems too stong for the plastic...but is it ever sweet!

jdog
jdog83 is offline Find More Posts by jdog83
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:13 AM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman
Hey Mario,

I just received one of your latest MIA frames for the 4#3, but it must be one of your old stock. It doesn't fit my 4#3b stuff on it. can you send me the 'new' one? I already have a couple of the old ones for the original 4#3
I have a shopping cart full of things for the 4#3 including a G-10 ridged frame which I'm intending to build with all 4#3B 2.4ghz parts. How can I be sure I receive the newer frame that works with the 4#3B servos and main gear when I place my order?

Thanks again, John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer