SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 05, 2008, 03:59 PM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen
There is a pic of the frame witha canopy on it at John's website.
That's a Venom/walkera 52 canopy, not the Phantom. Plus I want to see it with everything else (motor, blades,etc). I guess Mario's still working on it.
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2008, 04:30 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
Aaah yes, me too! I'd like to see the vid too before I purchase.. I'm just worried about crash resistance. I had a VERY HARD crash with my 52 into the pavement yesterday, and nothing on the stock frame was broken. My 4#3 g-10 frames have suffered a little tho, mainly where the glue spots are, and definitely on the little white blocks. I guess that should be minimal with the phantom frame, as I hear it is all bolt on? The first part that spooks me is where the tail mounting box is connected to the rest of the frame, there dosent seem to be alot of material there.
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
Old Jun 05, 2008, 05:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA Walkera 52 Frame - Instructions Info

Quote:
Aaah yes, me too! I'd like to see the vid too before I purchase.. I'm just worried about crash resistance. I had a VERY HARD crash with my 52 into the pavement yesterday, and nothing on the stock frame was broken. My 4#3 g-10 frames have suffered a little tho, mainly where the glue spots are, and definitely on the little white blocks. I guess that should be minimal with the phantom frame, as I hear it is all bolt on? The first part that spooks me is where the tail mounting box is connected to the rest of the frame, there dosent seem to be alot of material there.
I have all the raw video files on my PC and will be uploading them to its own 52 Instructional video page at my site this weekend.

Frame uses miniature bolts-nuts and spacer hardware. The boom is supported via bolt-on compression blocks that allow for boom adjustments and boom replacements (if required) easily. There are 3 sets of these compression blocks included in the kits to allow user to select the boom desired, from 3 to 5mm OD. Use the 5 mm boom supplied in the kit to provide for an ultra rigid boom setup. Will have more pictures at my site this weekend.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Old Jun 05, 2008, 05:29 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
cool, I like the idea of the bolt on setup with multiple tail options. Cant wait to see it!!
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
Old Jun 05, 2008, 05:58 PM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
I'm excited! My wife gave me the go signal.
Old Jun 05, 2008, 09:30 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Mario,
will you be shipping the Phantom frames to me for the store Firday?
thanks, johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 05, 2008, 10:00 PM
Flying RC Heli's since 1977
Joined Dec 2003
103 Posts
Quote:
Over the past 9 or 10 months I've got hundreds upon hundreds of flights on my 52-1 brushless with a brushless variable pitch tail. There have been maybe a dozen really good crashes. I've sheared off a couple of tail booms and chipped up the blades pretty bad but the stock frame and landing gear have held up without a single problem. I bought a spare landing gear set when I bought the heli and it's still in the original bag.

I have had to replace a few worn and/or cracked ball links. My most recent tail boom is a 4mm O.D. x 2.5 I.D.

I did make a small CF plate to reinforce and adapt the motor area but other than that there are no frame changes. Not once has my main gearing backlash changed.
The frame is covered with electronics and servos so you can't see enough of it to call it "toyish" looking.

Pictures of it still exist on the "walkera #52 eCCPM palm-size heli" thread.
milwiron is offline Find More Posts by milwiron
Old Jun 05, 2008, 10:20 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
You must be the luckiest pilot in the world. Hell, the stock landing gear would break on mine if you look at it wrong. They are the weakest part of the heli. But you are right. The 52 does not need all the extra stuff to fly right. But i do think the 52 and the 52-1 have different frames so they do need a little stiffening up. If you make a new motor plate and battery plate out of either G10 or CF is all it needs to make it really strong. Once i did that i was more than pleased with my 52. You will see all kinds of people saying that it needs this and it needs that, but they all say that instead of just saying they WANT the stuff. The MIA frame for the 52 does look good but that is all it has going for it. Plus it makes the heli bigger. I don't really like that. I mean that was the reason that i got mine. I like the smaller size of it. Why buy a small heli just to make it bigger. I can see it now. When the 4g3 ever makes it to the market they will make frames that just make it bigger. No matter what it looks like it is still just a toy. Even the almighty Trex is just a toy.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old Jun 06, 2008, 04:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA 4#3B Prior to Full MIA Carbon Frame Upgrade Photos

Part of the fun in our hobby is taking photos and videos of our models and sharing them with others in the hobby.
Old Jun 06, 2008, 04:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
Mario,
will you be shipping the Phantom frames to me for the store Firday?
thanks, johnw
Yes, John.
Old Jun 06, 2008, 04:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
4#3s Canopy Options - with specific weight info

Weight information on the various canopies for the 4#3's
edge, phantom and walkera
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Jun 06, 2008 at 04:45 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2008, 06:39 AM
Joined Dec 2003
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster7467
You must be the luckiest pilot in the world. Hell, the stock landing gear would break on mine if you look at it wrong. They are the weakest part of the heli. But you are right. The 52 does not need all the extra stuff to fly right. But i do think the 52 and the 52-1 have different frames so they do need a little stiffening up. If you make a new motor plate and battery plate out of either G10 or CF is all it needs to make it really strong. Once i did that i was more than pleased with my 52. You will see all kinds of people saying that it needs this and it needs that, but they all say that instead of just saying they WANT the stuff. The MIA frame for the 52 does look good but that is all it has going for it. Plus it makes the heli bigger. I don't really like that. I mean that was the reason that i got mine. I like the smaller size of it. Why buy a small heli just to make it bigger. I can see it now. When the 4g3 ever makes it to the market they will make frames that just make it bigger. No matter what it looks like it is still just a toy. Even the almighty Trex is just a toy.
Luck has -never- been in my back pocket when it came to flying rc heli's.
I've re-kitted more RC aircraft than I could ever hope to remember now.

I did forget to mention I added a battery plate, I had to move the weight forward because of the heavier VP Tail and motor.

And I should add that after all the air time mine has it's starting to get pretty loose. It's time to replace most of the bearings.
Old Jun 07, 2008, 12:27 AM
Goodyear, AZ
Joined Jan 2003
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
Part of the fun in our hobby is taking photos and videos of our models and sharing them with others in the hobby.
Is that your Tuff LG on a stock 4#3? When do we get to have these?
Kelley is offline Find More Posts by Kelley
Old Jun 07, 2008, 03:15 AM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwiron
Over the past 9 or 10 months I've got hundreds upon hundreds of flights on my 52-1 brushless with a brushless variable pitch tail. There have been maybe a dozen really good crashes. I've sheared off a couple of tail booms and chipped up the blades pretty bad but the stock frame and landing gear have held up without a single problem. I bought a spare landing gear set when I bought the heli and it's still in the original bag.

I have had to replace a few worn and/or cracked ball links. My most recent tail boom is a 4mm O.D. x 2.5 I.D.

I did make a small CF plate to reinforce and adapt the motor area but other than that there are no frame changes. Not once has my main gearing backlash changed.
The frame is covered with electronics and servos so you can't see enough of it to call it "toyish" looking.

Pictures of it still exist on the "walkera #52 eCCPM palm-size heli" thread.
Maybe I'm just unlucky but that 52 LG of mine is weak. After about my 15th flight I hovered about 4 ft, something went wrong, crashed straight down without much impact, cracked the LG and the boom.
Old Jun 07, 2008, 09:30 AM
Joined Dec 2003
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyastro
Maybe I'm just unlucky but that 52 LG of mine is weak. After about my 15th flight I hovered about 4 ft, something went wrong, crashed straight down without much impact, cracked the LG and the boom.
Iím flying a 52-1 and have never seen the 52ís landing gear so I donít know how different they are... design or material.
Iíve had nothing but good results from my stock gear but it sounds like the 52ís would benefit greatly from MIAís upgrades.

Iím guessing here but it appears my 52-1 landing gear is a glass filled nylon. Most commercial grades of nylon will be more flexible with high humidity, more brittle if the plastic is very dry. When I flew nitro airplanes we always boiled nylon props in water a couple hours to remove the brittleness during winter months and in the old days of rc helis we did the same for any nylon parts. I always added Rit fabric dye to the water so I knew which props had been boiled.
In the summer when the air humidity was high it wasn't an issue.

There are non-hygroscopic grades of nylon that arenít affected by moisture or humidity but most companies save the few cents and use less expensive grades.