HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2008, 08:33 PM
internet rebel
wasilla, alaska
Joined Sep 2007
490 Posts
i run them on my ep 100/200 they DO break as does everything ;D givein enough innertia lol.

but they do take alot more beatings then the stockers.

-tre
akguanja is offline Find More Posts by akguanja
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2008, 08:40 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
I wish someone would make like a titanium heli. That would take a real beaten.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old May 27, 2008, 09:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Indestructible Heli FUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster7467
I wish someone would make like a titanium heli. That would take a real beaten.
An option to that is to keep your helicopter extremely lightweight, you can do this without going all titanium by simply not using a lot of metal parts and removing as much weight from things that don't need to have the added weight. Heavy motors, heavy blades.

-You comsume less energy
-You keep the heli from breaking
-You minimize damage and safer to fly indoors
-You spend less in parts and equipment
-You can still have the same amount of fun or perhaps more because you
are not breaking many things on it or with it.
-Your piloting skills improve with a lighter helicopter, because it gives you more time to learn and burn the maneuver in memory
-you can try maneuvers that would not compromize or do damage to your model, perhaps yourself or sorrounding flying areas.
-You could demostrate your piloting skills more relaxed to others that might want to see you fly your model, at closer range.

There are so many pros in keeping a sub micro helicopter lightweight.
For example, look at this video of some of my helis flying in the patio and inside the house.
Look closely how they fly nice and light, this is also adds to hovering stability and gentle close in maneuvers like figure 8's and tight circles.

MIA Sub-Micro Helicopter, and MIA Palm-Size (TM) Helis (3 min 54 sec)
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Old May 27, 2008, 09:28 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
Yes but light weight parts are not the only answer. I made my own cf frame out of aerospace quality cf just like the upgrade frame from micro heli tuning. It was lighter and stronger than the stock aluminum frame and i nosed it into the ground from about 10ft i was just hovering it and the pinion came off the medusa motor and i panicked and it fell straight down and landed on the nose. It broke the frame like it was nothing. Luckily i had enough cf to build about a dozen of the frames and battery plates. Although your new frame looks incredible, i don't think that it would last in a slight crash. But i will still be getting one to tryout. Instead of trying to cut away all the material to make it lighter. I think that we should be concentrating on making it stronger. I was using a lipo that weighed like 56 grams. I know that is a little heavy but it still performed like a beast. So i know that if we get a lipo that weighs in around 35grams. That would leave around 20 grams that you could leave in the frame so it would be a lot stronger. I hear people complaining about getting shorter flights with a little bit heavier heli. Well i for one would rather have a heli that would survive a relatively light crash than one that will give me 2 minutes more flight time. I know the extra weight is not a problem because i also had walkera 36 landing skids on it and it did not really hurt the 52 from doing some nice loops and rolls. But then again i know that if you made a frame that last forever than you would go out of business because their would be less people needing replacements. But i would still prefer a frame that is more sturdy than one that just looks cool. I am not trying to be mean in any way just trying to help.
Old May 27, 2008, 10:03 PM
Joined May 2008
26 Posts
Thats why I was asking if he could adapt his uniflybar to the 52 and make a metal main hub. This is the only piece that gets damaged on my head. I have broke 3 of them already. I would just don't want to have to mess with it anymore.

Your frame looks nice but the 52 runs really high head speed with brushless. That energy transfers into the frame and wrecks it. I'm waiting till someone does a crash test with one lol.

My main thing is that i want a variable pitch tail using a brushless tail motor. I'm sure the great Mario could figure something out for this. Those who have done this mod say that the heli flies awesome.
cyclone2008 is offline Find More Posts by cyclone2008
Old May 27, 2008, 10:14 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
Yes i can see the energy from the high headspeed just twisting that frame all up in a crash. And will we be able to buy pieces to replace them or will we have to buy a complete new frame. Because that would get old and expensive. I would like to see it use the stock plastic anti-rotation loop. I guess we sill just have to buy the frame and mod it to suit our needs. I have some paper thin aerospace cf that i might just use to give it extra strength where i think it needs it. I have laminated two sheets of this stuff together and it is extremely strong. Stronger than the stuff that i had of equal thickness.
Old May 27, 2008, 10:25 PM
Joined May 2008
26 Posts
I have the frame from Germany and the force of the blades in a crash pop off the center pylon. I'm always having to epoxy it back on.
Old May 27, 2008, 10:34 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
That's what i am talking about. And with this heli, you need the high headspeed to help the tail hold it's position. And i am thinking that if i get the new frame from Mario, i will not be using the tail that it comes with. I have tried DD tail motors on the 52 and the stock tail gear and prop works extremely well with just a better tail motor. The GWS motor that people have been using performs extremely good either way but it will last 10x longer with the gear and prop than as a DD setup. Really there is not a lot that has to be done to get this heli to fly great. I am just wanting something that will not require a complete rebuild when you crash it. And you will. I want to build it to last and not just use as a shelf queen. I mean the new frame looks killer but that is not what people are after. Not the serious flyers at least. I really could care less about what it looks like compared to how it performs and holds up.
Old May 28, 2008, 03:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA Phantom Upgrade Frame Highlights - Frame , LG

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster7467
That's what i am talking about. And with this heli, you need the high headspeed to help the tail hold it's position. And i am thinking that if i get the new frame from Mario, i will not be using the tail that it comes with. I have tried DD tail motors on the 52 and the stock tail gear and prop works extremely well with just a better tail motor. The GWS motor that people have been using performs extremely good either way but it will last 10x longer with the gear and prop than as a DD setup. Really there is not a lot that has to be done to get this heli to fly great. I am just wanting something that will not require a complete rebuild when you crash it. And you -will. I want to build it to last and not just use as a shelf queen. I mean the new frame looks killer but that is not what people are after. Not the serious flyers at least. I really could care less about what it looks like compared to how it performs and holds up.
The MIA Phantom frame was designed primarily to resolve the following two major problems with the Walkera 52#:

- Stock aluminum frame bending
- Weak LG that break on hard landings.

The thicker boom tail rotor mounting and stylish looks, and optional canopy are added perks you get when you go with this upgrade. You will not require a complete rebuild with this MIA upgrade, because you will simply not break the LG or bend the frame, as on the stock product.

Walkera 52# Upgrades (1 min 46 sec)

Walkera 52# Upgrades (1 min 35 sec)
Last edited by MarioIArguello; May 28, 2008 at 05:39 AM.
Old May 28, 2008, 04:26 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Hey Mario give me a call and an eta on a frame shipment for the store.
thanks, johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old May 28, 2008, 04:46 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
The MIA Phantom frame was designed primarily to resolve the following two major problems with the Walkera 52#:

The thicker boom tail rotor mounting and stylish looks, and optional canopy are added perks you get when you go with this upgrade. You will not require a complete rebuild with this MIA upgrade, because you will simply not break the LG or bend the frame, as on the stock product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1IvivFwju0
Mario what is the material that the skids are made out of?
thanks, johnw
Site Sponsor
Old May 28, 2008, 04:46 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
skid material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1IvivFwju0
thanks, johnw
Site Sponsor
Old May 28, 2008, 05:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
thanks, johnw
polyamide.
Old May 28, 2008, 05:48 AM
Joined May 2008
26 Posts
My receiver burned out so I'm taking it all separates. If I'm going this route I would like a variable pitch tail. I'm sure that sooner or later others will want to go separates as the stock gyro is just not as locked in as they would want it. Please make a variable pitch tail and servo mount for this upgrade.
Old May 28, 2008, 08:30 AM
Flying RC Heli's since 1977
Joined Dec 2003
103 Posts
I know this is primarily a forum for dealers to self-promote their products but hereís how you can make your own unbreakable landing gear for sub-micro heliís:

Pneumatic and hydraulic suppliers sell semi-rigid Polyamide (most people call it Nylon) tubing in many sizes. McMaster Carr is an on-line dealer.

3/32 to 3/16Ē O.D. Nylon tubing will cover most sub-micro heliís depending on the weight. Get as heavy a wall thickness as you can, it won't add much weight but will help the tubing hold its' shape.

Take a piece of music wire or uncoated gas welding rod that will fit in the tubing and bend it into the shape you want for the skids or gear, leave it a little long so you have some wire to grab onto with pliers later. You donít want a tight fit between the wire and tubing, loose is good. Deburr the ends of the wire.

Slip your wire-form into the tubing and bake it in an oven or toaster-oven on a cookie sheet at 280 degrees F. for about 30 minutes. Depending on your oven you may have to play with the temp., up or down.

Pull it out of the oven and let sit for a while. Pull the wire-form out with pliers and the tubing will hold itsí shape. At first the tubing will be very rigid but will soften a bit as it re-absorbs some moisture from the air.

You can pin and super glue the gear to the skids or use Nylon miniature Nylon/Polyamide hose connectors with super glue to hold everything together.

Larger than sub-micro machines will need stiffer gear than Nylon tubing will provide.
milwiron is offline Find More Posts by milwiron