HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2008, 09:46 AM
Bay Area California
Joined Apr 2007
2,055 Posts
Walkera has a 1220 motor now in the 4#3B's maybe they've decided to use it on the 4#3's too?
sketchaholic is offline Find More Posts by sketchaholic
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2008, 09:48 AM
Danger is my middle name
USA, DE, Magnolia
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
Weird, no idea man. It's the motor that came with mine??? Well, got a video of my hovering...still learning nose forward orientation, but I can usually hover it for a whole battery.

Walkera 4#3 with MIA Chassis (4 min 37 sec)
diamondd7711 is offline Find More Posts by diamondd7711
Old May 23, 2008, 10:51 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchaholic
Walkera has a 1220 motor now in the 4#3B's maybe they've decided to use it on the 4#3's too?
That's what I asked you a few posts back. Can we use this new motor in the original 4#3?
humveeflyer is online now Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old May 23, 2008, 10:58 AM
Bay Area California
Joined Apr 2007
2,055 Posts
Oh, sorry, I didn't see your post. I haven't been able to keep up with all the posts. My email notification doesn't always seem to work and it's tough to keep track of 4#3 chats in 5 different threads. LOL
sketchaholic is offline Find More Posts by sketchaholic
Old May 23, 2008, 11:02 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchaholic
Oh, sorry, I didn't see your post. I haven't been able to keep up with all the posts. My email notification doesn't always seem to work and it's tough to keep track of 4#3 chats in 5 different threads. LOL
No problem, Sketch. These threads move so fast and there are so many different ones that I follow too, so I understand. I would like to try these motors if they work in the original.
Old May 23, 2008, 11:13 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
How tough are the carbon look canopies? The stock canopies are crap, and $14 is a lot if it's not much stronger.
creapyd is online now Find More Posts by creapyd
Old May 23, 2008, 11:44 AM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,067 Posts
New Long Can Motor

I received three of the new long can motors from Terrance. I placed one in my 2.4 gig 4#3. It's the one that Casey sold which is basically the standard 4#3 with a 2.4 radio. (I love the heli, by the way)

I couldn't tell much difference with the new motor. It did make it a bit nose heavy (the canopy for that heli is the 3-part canopy and it's heavier than the original). I might have to use the original battery holder.

Flying didn't seem to be much different (it's hard to improve on perfection). I use the fancy heat sink, and I THINK that maybe it was a bit cooler.

My test was in the garage. The wind hasn't been below 25 mph in a week, so I didn't get to test it in the calm back yard. I would suspect that it has more torque, so it should have better ff, ability to hold altitude in maneuvers and climbing ability too.

Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is offline Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old May 23, 2008, 12:49 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
Do you mean, to cut a set of 2 spares or a sheet of 100 spares at one shot. The cutting is no different than for the frames.

Which are the key parts you are hearing about? I am wondering because there is quite a difference in a full MIA Frame Kit with the MIA Edge or Phantom canopy vs the original stock product, or the stock product with only some retrofitted parts. ( I attached the following 2 pics for comparison).

If some folks only want struts, I will gladly make them as a separate kit. But please don't loose focus on why the MIA G10 frames for the 4#3 were done as complete kits. There are many benefits with the full MIA Frame kit, as oposed to only having the MIA struts on the plastic stock frame.

What about the boom being cracked by the set screw on the plastic frame?
What about the flexing and breaking in the stock p[lastic frame anti-rotation arm.
What about provisions for going separates or using other equipment options? and not remaining locked to Walkera equipment, if you don't want to?
What about various muntings on the frame for Stock, Brushless and other motors options?
What about Having a better battery undercarriage? More room on the frame, to allow a little more flexibility, to mount equipment , so not to compromize the CG, by being locked to stock setup?
What about a spiffy larger canopy, that is designed in proportion to the heli and equipment size, so that it looks pleasing to the eye and conforms with real RC helicopter architecture? but at a Palm-Size scale?

These are the questions that I think about when I do a full Upgrade kit. But I also offer separate upgrades like the MIA Bumble Bee TUff Struts and Skids, individually, so to provide an option for everyone.

PM or Email me to MIADSGNS@COX.NET, which parts you would like to see more of. I take all suggestions with an open mind and as you can probably tell by this thread, my videos and information on my site , I am very flexible within reason. Thanks.
I agree Mario that the G10 frame set is a huge improvement over stock and offers all sorts of options when setting one of these up ( I have three now). My thought was just that no matter which way you choose to build, the landing struts are what will most likely be broken at some point, and was just wondering if it would be possible to purchase just the struts rather than another whole frame. That was all I was asking.

Thanks Mario
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old May 23, 2008, 12:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobly
I hope you guys (Mario and diamondd7711) don't mind me reposting your pics, but I thought it would give a good comparison between what my motors (and apparently Marios) and diamondd7711's motor look like.

-Oobly
My motor is the stock one that came with the basic 4#3, and I love it!, have not had any issues with that motor. It does get hot though, but I use it with the MIA Moto-Cool-er heat sink. if you have seen the video of the heli even with the aluminum head the semi autostable one, it is flying with that exact same stock motor and it has plenty power for the first 4 minutes then it gradually slows down, but I must have about 100 flights on that motor flown in intervals with cool down periods, in between flights, I don't fly the motors continuosly, in order to extend the motor life.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Last edited by MarioIArguello; May 23, 2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
I agree Mario that the G10 frame set is a huge improvement over stock and offers all sorts of options when setting one of these up ( I have three now). My thought was just that no matter which way you choose to build, the landing struts are what will most likely be broken at some point, and was just wondering if it would be possible to purchase just the struts rather than another whole frame. That was all I was asking.

Thanks Mario
Yee, I have started to make individual kits for just the Struts and Skids in case you want to purchase these as spares. Will have them next week.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondd7711
Weird, no idea man. It's the motor that came with mine??? Well, got a video of my hovering...still learning nose forward orientation, but I can usually hover it for a whole battery.
I think if you shift the battery a little bit forward you will get a more stable flight, your CG seems to be a bit towards the rear, give that a shot.
Nice Video and thanks for sharing with all of us.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; May 23, 2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd
How tough are the carbon look canopies? The stock canopies are crap, and $14 is a lot if it's not much stronger.

They are stronger than the stock ones, also give your heli that custom carbon pattern look and are roomier too.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:28 PM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swilson50
I received three of the new long can motors from Terrance. I placed one in my 2.4 gig 4#3. It's the one that Casey sold which is basically the standard 4#3 with a 2.4 radio. (I love the heli, by the way)

I couldn't tell much difference with the new motor. It did make it a bit nose heavy (the canopy for that heli is the 3-part canopy and it's heavier than the original). I might have to use the original battery holder.

Flying didn't seem to be much different (it's hard to improve on perfection). I use the fancy heat sink, and I THINK that maybe it was a bit cooler.

My test was in the garage. The wind hasn't been below 25 mph in a week, so I didn't get to test it in the calm back yard. I would suspect that it has more torque, so it should have better ff, ability to hold altitude in maneuvers and climbing ability too.

Stan in Dodge City
Thanks Stan.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:38 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
Yee, I have started to make individual kits for just the Struts and Skids in case you want to purchase these as spares. Will have them next week.
Thanks Mario!!
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old May 23, 2008, 06:15 PM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Hey guys, I'm sorry to hijack the thread like this but I'm really exited about my new toy here, #52 brushless, running 2S, insane power to weight ratio.
Bought from Terence at http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera52_Heli.htm $143 shipped, great guy, good service and fine prices.
Mario, I can't wait to see what you have in your goodiebag for the #52.

Walkera #52 brushless 2S. (0 min 35 sec)

Sebastian.
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Last edited by SebastianJ; May 24, 2008 at 02:25 AM.