Thanks John. Had a blast setting it up.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old May 23, 2008, 01:36 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,983 Posts
That looks great!
I think flying these things is only a small part.
Creating them and expressing yourself in your heli is a really big part.
Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old May 23, 2008, 01:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Boom Support - ALu and Titanium Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen
Mario, that would be a GREAT idea. I have found in all the kit's I have purchased, the parts that I have to keep fixing are the landing gear (admittedly I use the rigid frame skids), and the little white blocks that the tail press fits into, especially the one in the frame. It eventually cracks causing the tail to be loose. What are your thoughts on a tougher "white block" replacement for added strength. or some spare parts sheet options that we can start buying. or maybe be able to buy frame parts a la carte style like some of the bigger heli frames out there?

Mario, Have you ever thought about an aluminum or titanium version of your kit? with so many people going brushless on these helis, they may be able to handle the extra weight. I too am going brushless, and would be happy to try a first run alu frame in my setup.
Boom Supports, if you feel you need additional material on the block , you can simply reinforce the top and bottom of the white blocks with some of the G10/Carbon scrap material from the MIA kits, cut into rectangular shapes for the boom and tail supports.

Aluminum or Titanium options, yes I have thought about these, there are pros and cons to consider, as well, with various materials.

Performance vs Looks, vs durability. A combination of all these is ideal.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Oct 18, 2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:49 AM
Joined Dec 2007
6,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski
That looks great!
I think flying these things is only a small part.
Creating them and expressing yourself in your heli is a really big part.
Jason
I like building them better than flying them as strange as that sounds. Once I finish one, I start looking for a new project to work on.
I managed to fly 10 packs through my other regular 4#3 during breaks from working on this one, so today was a good mix of building and flying
Its a good day for me when I can waste the entire day playing with these things and ignore the work Im supposed to be doing
Old May 23, 2008, 01:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Thanks for posting your version of helis guys, using MIA Frames kits/parts, I enjoy seeing them. I really like the one that was painted white and red MIA G10 frame and wondering what that heli looks when it is all finished. Also liked the Alu boom and skids conversion using the MIA rigid struts. Great pics, great variations. This is what makes this hobby FUN! it is the options available to customize helis to each one's individual taste.
Old May 23, 2008, 02:03 AM
Joined Dec 2007
6,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
Thanks for posting your version of helis guys, using MIA Frames kits/parts, I enjoy seeing them. I really like the one that was painted white and red MIA G10 frame and wondering what that heli looks when it is all finished. Also liked the Alu boom and skids conversio using the MIA rigid struts. Great pics, great variations. This is what makes this hobby FUN! is the options available to customizer it to your particular taste.
Hey Mario.....how hard is it to just cut a sheet of spare rigid struts? I think from what I hear, you would have a market for just some of the key G10 components instead of entire kits. Of course, you dont sell as many kits that way and I understand thats what helps fund this stuff, but just wondering if you would consider spare parts for these?

Thanks for the great inspiration on these little guys and providing us with the stuff to do it!
Old May 23, 2008, 03:00 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Tampere, Finland
Joined Feb 2007
961 Posts
Xrayted,

Good job, that is a great looking heli! Unique, neat and sleek.

I thought of suggesting that you remove the centre section of original tail boom, but realised it was the weight-saving scrooge in me saying it and it will make it too "bendable" with just the aluminium tube there. It's great just as it is.

My heli parts have been on a serious weigh-less diet and my head is stuck in that gear.

-Oobly
oobly is offline Find More Posts by oobly
Old May 23, 2008, 03:48 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
A Set of Struts only vs. a Complete Frame Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
Hey Mario.....how hard is it to just cut a sheet of spare rigid struts? I think from what I hear, you would have a market for just some of the key G10 components instead of entire kits. Of course, you dont sell as many kits that way and I understand thats what helps fund this stuff, but just wondering if you would consider spare parts for these?

Thanks for the great inspiration on these little guys and providing us with the stuff to do it!
Do you mean, to cut a set of 2 spares or a sheet of 100 spares at one shot. The cutting is no different than for the frames.

Which are the key parts you are hearing about? I am wondering because there is quite a difference in a full MIA Frame Kit with the MIA Edge or Phantom canopy vs the original stock product, or the stock product with only some retrofitted parts. ( I attached the following 2 pics for comparison).

If some folks only want struts, I will gladly make them as a separate kit. But please don't loose focus on why the MIA G10 frames for the 4#3 were done as complete kits. There are many benefits with the full MIA Frame kit, as oposed to only having the MIA struts on the plastic stock frame.

What about the boom being cracked by the set screw on the plastic frame?
What about the flexing and breaking in the stock p[lastic frame anti-rotation arm.
What about provisions for going separates or using other equipment options? and not remaining locked to Walkera equipment, if you don't want to?
What about various muntings on the frame for Stock, Brushless and other motors options?
What about Having a better battery undercarriage? More room on the frame, to allow a little more flexibility, to mount equipment , so not to compromize the CG, by being locked to stock setup?
What about a spiffy larger canopy, that is designed in proportion to the heli and equipment size, so that it looks pleasing to the eye and conforms with real RC helicopter architecture? but at a Palm-Size scale?

These are the questions that I think about when I do a full Upgrade kit. But I also offer separate upgrades like the MIA Bumble Bee TUff Struts and Skids, individually, so to provide an option for everyone.

PM or Email me to MIADSGNS@COX.NET, which parts you would like to see more of. I take all suggestions with an open mind and as you can probably tell by this thread, my videos and information on my site , I am very flexible within reason. Thanks.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; May 23, 2008 at 04:27 AM.
Old May 23, 2008, 04:50 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,822 Posts
i like everything about the MIA frames except that they make the heli larger.
the main reason i got a 4#3 was because it was the smallest one I could find.
I would go even smaller if I could find one.

I think you should maybe consider making a same size frame if you can. I bet a ton of people would buy them.

I know I would.

My anti-rotation arm just snapped today on my 4#3 and so I was thinking maybe its time to go with a MIA frame. But ended up just reordering a stock frame.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old May 23, 2008, 05:29 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,983 Posts
Has anyone thought about this with 52 internals?
http://www.walkera.com/en1/particula...pn=Z55G4Q30104
Just a thought.
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old May 23, 2008, 08:25 AM
Danger is my middle name
USA, DE, Magnolia
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
Well, I had my 4#3 for a few weeks now and I've gotten the mod bug......so, I ordered up the MIA frame and went to town.

New Parts!!

Upper chassis together.

Carbon fiber yummyness

Top and bottom halves ready to be joined.

Joined together.

Tail assembly together.

All the guts installed.

New canopy.

A few grams heavier than stock....but close
After I put everything together and then figured out that the wiring for the tail needed to be reversed because of going direct drive it flew like a dream, seems to be a lot more stable now. Working on getting a video up of some hover action.
diamondd7711 is offline Find More Posts by diamondd7711
Old May 23, 2008, 09:00 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Tampere, Finland
Joined Feb 2007
961 Posts
Nice build, diamondd. The main motor looks longer than my old 4#3 motors. Did it come with your 4#3?

-Oobly
Old May 23, 2008, 09:20 AM
Danger is my middle name
USA, DE, Magnolia
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
Yes, that's the same motor that came with my 4#3. It might look taller because the 4 in 1 is sitting lower on this chassis then the motor.
diamondd7711 is offline Find More Posts by diamondd7711
Old May 23, 2008, 09:35 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Tampere, Finland
Joined Feb 2007
961 Posts
I hope you guys (Mario and diamondd7711) don't mind me reposting your pics, but I thought it would give a good comparison between what my motors (and apparently Marios) and diamondd7711's motor look like.

-Oobly