HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2008, 03:15 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
I never had one problem with the 0701 radio. It works perfectly in the 52. And yes it will fly inverted with the stock radio. Just check out Buildem336 on the 52 thread and watch him fly the 52. It is a really great flyer. This heli does not need a new radio to fly well. It just takes practice. For a motor driven tail, it is probably the best out there. I will always stand behind the walkera 52 as long as it is in production. You can get them on ebay for around 125$shipped and then all you need is the brushless motor, esc and some better lipo's. Also some better main blades will help. The climb out is incredible and it will flip and roll with the best of them. I would not be surprised if it would be able to fly inverted in it's stock form during the first minute of flight. Anything after that would be stupid to try because the stock lipo is a POS. I just used the stock lipo for the radio. It makes a better flight batt for the radio than in the heli itself.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2008, 09:04 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,368 Posts
52#

Quote:
Originally Posted by microkites
have had 2!

mechanics are ok-all my problems were tx or 4in1 related

since I heard walkera was discontinuing 52 and 52-1, and 64c and 64c-1,I wont be getting another

mk
i just conversed with walkera and there are No plans of stopping the production of the 52#. they are working on a 2.4ghz version to come out at some point. but the 64#c is no longer available and neither are the parts for this heli. i can't even get new main blades! i haven't had any problems with the tx as a matter of fack it like the way it feels and performs too.
cheers, johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old May 19, 2008, 10:20 PM
Bay Area California
Joined Apr 2007
2,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
i just conversed with walkera and there are No plans of stopping the production of the 52#. they are working on a 2.4ghz version to come out at some point. but the 64#c is no longer available and neither are the parts for this heli. i can't even get new main blades! i haven't had any problems with the tx as a matter of fack it like the way it feels and performs too.
cheers, johnw
Good to hear the #52 will continue with production. I've always wanted to try it.

I've got a pile of 64C blades, if you need some.
sketchaholic is offline Find More Posts by sketchaholic
Old May 19, 2008, 10:27 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,368 Posts
64#C Main blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchaholic
Good to hear the #52 will continue with production. I've always wanted to try it.

I've got a pile of 64C blades, if you need some.
i just sent you a PM.
thanks, john w.
Site Sponsor
Old May 19, 2008, 10:30 PM
Heli Addict & Not Ashamed
Cathedral City, CA (Near Palm Springs)
Joined Feb 2008
159 Posts
who here has done a 2s brushless with the 3.5g outrunner on the tail? I cant get mine set up right and i am tempted to send it to someone who has and have them do it for me... anyone interested? i have a AR6300, ebay esc's, losi, and 3.5g on tail with an Align Gyro (i know its not the best choice for a gyro) all on a Mia G10 frame. Someone please help me out.

TheSteve i dont know if you have experience with the 2s version, but i have seen your work and know you would be able to get the mechanics right...

Anyone?
I am willing to pay for shipping and for your time!!!
chez143 is offline Find More Posts by chez143
Old May 19, 2008, 11:16 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,368 Posts
Brushless

Quote:
Originally Posted by chez143
who here has done a 2s brushless with the 3.5g outrunner on the tail? I cant get mine set up right and i am tempted to send it to someone who has and have them do it for me... anyone interested? i have a AR6300, ebay esc's, losi, and 3.5g on tail with an Align Gyro (i know its not the best choice for a gyro) all on a Mia G10 frame. Someone please help me out.

TheSteve i dont know if you have experience with the 2s version, but i have seen your work and know you would be able to get the mechanics right...

Anyone?
I am willing to pay for shipping and for your time!!!
this is what i'm rinning in my micron v2 bl conversion heli.
except the gyro and the best speed controllers are the feigao 6Amp ones. i use the e-sky HH gyro. go look at my Micron V2 going brushless thread.
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Old May 20, 2008, 01:08 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,368 Posts
A Short video of my medusa powered venom/52#

just a quick clip of my Medusa Powered BL convesion on my Venom micro/walkera 52# heli. Pretty good headspeed too!
cheers, johnw
RC HOBBY HELICOPTER VIDEO (2 min 6 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old May 20, 2008, 02:31 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,983 Posts
That looks great John,
Now Iam a bit jealous,If I didn't sell my other 2 52's,I'd give them a fly now.
What do you think of the 64C blades?
Jason
jasonjetski is online now Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old May 20, 2008, 03:24 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,368 Posts
64#C Main blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski
That looks great John,
Now Iam a bit jealous,If I didn't sell my other 2 52's,I'd give them a fly now.
What do you think of the 64C blades?
Jason
thanks man! i can't say enough about how well this thing flies. it is the first cp heli that i feel i can trust flying in my living room.
it's really stable. i like the 64#C blades they are heavier and make the heli very stable,but there not available from my walkera account. so i will try the ep100 plastic blades next. i don't trust the foam ones inside my home. get another one their only 160 bucks.
very worth the money and it's so easy to convert to brushless too.
cheers, johnw
Site Sponsor
Old May 20, 2008, 06:23 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Well my new Venom/52 didn't stay brushed for long(15 flights).
This is by far the easiest heli to convert to brushless.
Parts:
1:Medusa 12mmx30mm afterburner 4100kv BL Motor
1:Feigao 6A Brushless ESC
1:8Tooth .5Mod 1.5MM bore Pinion
Walkera 64C Blades
stock 3S li-po
It flies like a dream!
Cheers, johnw
Hey John,

Can you point me to some places that I can order these parts that have good prices.. I know I am going to want to go brushless when my 52# arrives..

I found the motor here (i think this is the one) http://www.bmkdesigns.net/Medusa-Aft...0kv-pr-50.html

but not sure if thats a good price or not.

thanks

(just found some interesting info here )
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Last edited by sideburn; May 20, 2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old May 20, 2008, 03:20 PM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
use this http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6281
or this http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5229
10% less perfomance for less than 1/2 of price.
K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn
Hey John,

Can you point me to some places that I can order these parts that have good prices.. I know I am going to want to go brushless when my 52# arrives..

I found the motor here (i think this is the one) http://www.bmkdesigns.net/Medusa-Aft...0kv-pr-50.html

but not sure if thats a good price or not.

thanks

(just found some interesting info here )
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Old May 20, 2008, 03:28 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salat
Thanks,

I don't mind spending extra for performance if it will help.. My main goal is for inverted flight.

I'm just not sure which one is the best.. the medusa, Feigao, or maybe these you sent will be good enough?

Also, do they all come with mounting screws? If not where should I get those?

What about batteries? So far all I have is the one it will be coming with.

and finally, should I reprogram the stock TX as described here ?

Thanks for the help
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old May 20, 2008, 03:56 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,338 Posts
Quote:
Well my new Venom/52 didn't stay brushed for long(15 flights).
This is by far the easiest heli to convert to brushless.
Parts:
1:Medusa 12mmx30mm afterburner 4100kv BL Motor
1:Feigao 6A Brushless ESC
1:8Tooth .5Mod 1.5MM bore Pinion
Walkera 64C Blades
stock 3S li-po
It flies like a dream!
Cheers, johnw
Nice work. Be careful with the Medusa and that Feigao 6 amp ESC. The Medusa Afterburner I have on the tail of the Axe fried the Feigao 6 amp after 20 flights or so. You'll probably need an 8-10 amp rated ESC for the afterburner motors. Glad its working for you this good NICE.

BTW, I got my first taste of a 450 helicopter last night. I got an RCT-450 Skyshark (a.k.a. the MB-3) its all CF, I even replaced the boom with a nice CF boom, lost 2 grams of the tail.... CF tail blades are on the way. I was able to buy a Spartan DS760 gyro to put on it and this thing hovers for 15 seconds without touching the controls, its so much more stable than anything I've tried to date that its not even funny. I had to touch the rudder stick three times counted in a ~13 minutes hover. These Thunderpower 2200 v2 packs last about 13 minutes hovering. Flight times actually increase considerably if you do forward flight and other manuevers and not just hover it. I can't believe its only been 3 months and I just don't crash my helis anymore. My last accident was two weeks ago and it was a mechanical failure, (tail motor cable came unsoldered, tail motor stop spinning... bad...)

The 4#3 20 packs a day routine is startig to pay off right now... might pick up a 4#3B all metal, stick some of those 500s that John found and keep on flying...

Cheers.

MB.
Minibichus is offline Find More Posts by Minibichus
Old May 20, 2008, 04:11 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
Thinner main blades

So I know this has been addressed before in the big 4#3 threads, but I just want to chime in with my experience.

I had been having some stability issues, my heli was starting to act a little squirly, and I was noticing slightly reduced flight times..

I had a couple extra set of main blades, so I figured I'd (finally) give the trimmed blade thing a try. I trimmed about 3mm off the trailing edge of the blades, making the trailing edge more parallel to the leading edge. near the tips there was hardly anything removed, but near the grips is where it ended up around 3mm. I must say WOW! I really like the difference. With the slightly higher head speed the heli flies much more stable. I just had it out in the parking lot on break here at work, and was able to fly it in light to moderate wind with relatively hefty gusts with no problem. The thing seemed to cut through the air much better than before. It also seems like the throttle is a little more responsive as well. very satisfied.

Also I noticed that my flight time was a little longer as well. With the stock blades, I would get about 4-5 min, and my pack would be at about 3.8v +/- .2v, and couldn't get a decent flight all the way down to my Lipo alarm cutoff. Now I am able to run about 8-9 min running the pack until my than tran LiGlow Lipo Alarm goes off.
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
Last edited by nexgen; May 20, 2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: I cant spell :-(
Old May 20, 2008, 04:20 PM
Heli Addict & Not Ashamed
Cathedral City, CA (Near Palm Springs)
Joined Feb 2008
159 Posts
anyone need a programing card for ebay esc's? I had two and fried them both! (they literally caught fire!) pm me if interested!
chez143 is offline Find More Posts by chez143