HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2008, 01:40 AM
internet rebel
wasilla, alaska
Joined Sep 2007
495 Posts
my mia 4#3

heres a pic of my 4#3 i finished it today still stock except for the frame and spring mod. needs a new tail motor(on the way) before i can fly it and test it out.

weighs in at 51 grams w/out the tail motor. does anyone know what the stock AUW is? noticed the flex frame is a little heavier then the stock by 3 or 4 grams? seems to have plenty of power still thoe. heres a pic

-tre
akguanja is offline Find More Posts by akguanja
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2008, 01:45 AM
Heli Addict & Not Ashamed
Cathedral City, CA (Near Palm Springs)
Joined Feb 2008
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
Mario is making frames for the walkera 52#. i hear you can use the ep100 metal head on these helis. so buy a 52# convert the head and it is very easy to go brushless on them. i have some in stock too. i will be building one with marios frames and a medusa afterburner BL.
-johnw
I already have an all CF ep pro... the only weakness is the skids. i dont want an entire new frame... just the skids.
chez143 is offline Find More Posts by chez143
Old May 15, 2008, 01:47 AM
internet rebel
wasilla, alaska
Joined Sep 2007
495 Posts
just buy the guai cf skids....

-tre
Old May 15, 2008, 01:55 AM
Heli Addict & Not Ashamed
Cathedral City, CA (Near Palm Springs)
Joined Feb 2008
159 Posts
I have heard they break easily also... anyway back on topic... i am waiting for my two esc's, my outrunner for tail, and my AR6300, then my brushless setup will be complete!
chez143 is offline Find More Posts by chez143
Old May 15, 2008, 02:05 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
I'm still trying to decide which one to buy metal version 4#3b or a standard version but I have a quick question, can I use 800mah cell around 20g-25g? What parts usually break during the crash? It looks like a great size to fly circles around my bed
Almaz is offline Find More Posts by Almaz
Old May 15, 2008, 02:28 AM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
So I was able to fix the power problem I was having. I cleaned the 4in1, and the white plastic cover. There was some WD-40 residue, and a little dirt (:-() in there. I also adjusted my gear mesh again. now she flys the whole pack with no problem.

I even did the paper trick when setting my gear mesh, but I guess it was still too tight, so I just eyeballed it a little looser. And here I thought there would be a more major issue at hand. Just goes to show how easy it can be to overlook the simple things sometimes. Thanks all for the advice.

She looks nice, with lots of accents all over. I will post some pic's of the setup soon.
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
Old May 15, 2008, 02:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA TUFF (TM) Strut Landing Gear Retrofit for Gaui or similar SUb-Micro Helis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chez143
Mario,

I have a MIA G10 flex frame on my 4#3 and I love it! I also have have a Gaui Ep 100 Pro. The landing gear on this heli sucks! Its very brittle... I was wondering if you have any plans on making some upgrades for this little guy? I would buy new skids in a heartbeat! If you want i can send you some details on the dimensions for some skids. I think this would help out a lot of people on the EP100 thread!

Thanks for the nice comment.

Regarding the Gaui, I know exactly what you mean because on my Gaui Pixie Zap 100 the same thing happened and it was frustrating having to fly at the field with a broken LG and frame.

So what I did on mine is simply attach the following MIA TUFF (TM) Strut and Skids retrofit fro sub-Micro helis (see attached picture ) to the existing Gaui Frame and no more broken LG on hard landings.

Take a look at it and see if this helps. I am not sure about the Gaui PRO, dimensions of the base and if the heli you have has a plastic frame or not, but no matter, because my retrofits are adjustable to any base footprint, you just need to let me know if that foot print is similar to the Gaui Pixie 100, the first one that came out.

This LG Retrofit is also at my site under PRODUCTS with the title
MIA TUFF Struts Skids Kit for Sub-Micro Helicopters, 8th product down the products page. THis is the quickest FIX for any sub-micro helicopter that suggers from brittle or fragile LG.

As John mentioned, I am making a full frame retrofit for the Walkera 52 and this might also work with similar sub-micro helicopters. I really like the 52 mechanics, they are very smooth and the head has nice damping, the original Gaui did not have any damping (no rubber orings in the head, it was simply a plastic head with a bar through, which I ended up modifying it so that it was smoother. Meanitme or you really want to retrofit your heli so that you can go on flying use my LG retrofit it is only $4.99 , very cheap considering how tough it really is.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Old May 15, 2008, 02:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen
So I was able to fix the power problem I was having. I cleaned the 4in1, and the white plastic cover. There was some WD-40 residue, and a little dirt (:-() in there. I also adjusted my gear mesh again. now she flys the whole pack with no problem.

I even did the paper trick when setting my gear mesh, but I guess it was still too tight, so I just eyeballed it a little looser. And here I thought there would be a more major issue at hand. Just goes to show how easy it can be to overlook the simple things sometimes. Thanks all for the advice.

She looks nice, with lots of accents all over. I will post some pic's of the setup soon.
That is great to hear that. Yes those simple little things can make or break an already great product such as the 4#3.
Old May 15, 2008, 02:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaz
I'm still trying to decide which one to buy metal version 4#3b or a standard version but I have a quick question, can I use 800mah cell around 20g-25g? What parts usually break during the crash? It looks like a great size to fly circles around my bed

I still like the simplicity of the stock 4#3 and you can upgrade this heli with the next versions along with the MIA Upgrades. Please do not use an 800mah cell too heavy you don't need that much capacity and weight in a heli this size. Try John's Batteries the 500mah one, they are perfect for the 4#3s.
Old May 15, 2008, 02:43 AM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
Almaz, with the extra weight, it may be best to go brushless for the extra power if you want to use a batt that large. The stock setu0p will have a hard time lifting the extra weight, and yo wouldnt really notice much in increased flight time. johnIn2SonAZ has some nice 500 mah lipos at his website that are only 11 grams, same as stock batt weight, but you still get the increased flight times. here is a link to the battery

as far as parts breaking, here is what I have noticed with the stock setup, the list is in the order of how easy the part is to damage, or break:

skids
battery tray
flybar
canopy
tail boom

There are mods for all of these parts to make them better, and less susceptible to damage, or you can cover all the bases and get a G-10 or carbon frame from Mario. They are much more sturdy than stock.
Old May 15, 2008, 02:58 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA Metal Flybars, Canopies, Antenna and Battery Mounting Kits

Quote:
Almaz, with the extra weight, it may be best to go brushless for the extra power if you want to use a batt that large. The stock setu0p will have a hard time lifting the extra weight, and yo wouldnt really notice much in increased flight time. johnIn2SonAZ has some nice 500 mah lipos at his website that are only 11 grams, same as stock batt weight, but you still get the increased flight times. here is a link to the battery

as far as parts breaking, here is what I have noticed with the stock setup, the list is in the order of how easy the part is to damage, or break:

skids
battery tray
flybar
canopy
tail boom

There are mods for all of these parts to make them better, and less susceptible to damage, or you can cover all the bases and get a G-10 or carbon frame from Mario. They are much more sturdy than stock.

I also have the MIA metal flybars, 3 size per pack. Phantom carbon pattern and Edge in white, both of these canopies come now in Glossy Finish. I Also made some kits for mounting the antenna and Battery nice and neat. They are all here
Old May 15, 2008, 03:00 AM
internet rebel
wasilla, alaska
Joined Sep 2007
495 Posts
Quote:

skids
battery tray
flybar
canopy
tail boom

you forgot to mention unless you upgrade the head with one of the ones like small.planes designed or similar you will be breaking those buggers more then anything...

ive only went though 1 boom 1 set of skids and a couple batt trays(which u can just toss and use a bit of velcro or rubber bands to fix. but i went though like 6 heads so far. im still on my original set of blades... i had to replace a set of the upper links that got worn out from popping out. and the flybar broke very easy untill i replaced it with some 0.32 steel wire now it works fine.

- tre
Old May 15, 2008, 03:05 AM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
I think it's great that like minded people can come together and share Ideas and get excited about others improvements. Mario, I think you have done alot for this heli, and I have always been willing to recommend your upgrades to anyone that has this heli. My brother wanted to get into the 4#3, so I got one off the for sale thread with some extra parts, and I immediately got him one of your frames to put the heli into. I know that it will make the thing much more stable for him, and make the learning curve easier for him too.. Kudos, and keep it up.
Old May 15, 2008, 03:15 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
I wish they were selling 4#3A/B barebones Anyway guys a new Metal version cost $178 shipped which is a little expensive for this type of helicopter. Since I have already receiver, transmitter, 4in1 (from esky FP without external yellow box) how would you assemble and setup 4#3 if you had a choice to spend $100-$150 just by buying separates?
Almaz is offline Find More Posts by Almaz
Old May 15, 2008, 03:20 AM
internet rebel
wasilla, alaska
Joined Sep 2007
495 Posts
almaz, if i was going to assemble a metal head version id go with a brushless setup(tail/main) ar6300 rx or similar. one of the mia frames. and see how much the metal head parts were to buy. later on dunno if you'd be under 150$ thoe. but you should know a cp heli doesnt come cheap. better just grab the wallet and go for it man lol....

-tre