HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2008, 09:26 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen
how thick is the tube for the lights? I did a homemade version of this idea a while back using a thin drinking straw (coffee stirrer), and some blue LED's and the thin tube looked pretty slick imo. Pretty lighweight too.
actually a bit thicker than coffee stirrer-looks like standard straw-maybe a bit thicker walled

I think your mod is brighter and lighter! if pix is any judge

one of mine wouldnt light when first tested,jiggled it -worked-so loose connection

will fly later

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2008, 09:30 AM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
mine is VERY light, i dont have a gram scale, but it did not change my COG at all, downside is that if i have a hard landing, I get a tail strike which will crack the straw.

I have noticed that since the tail is oriented higher up on the G-10 frame, I tail boom strikes are much more common (never ran into that with the stock frame that I noticed). Is anybody else running into that?
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
Old May 10, 2008, 09:44 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Ha ha I cheated,But I was the first so Iam the demi god!!!!
hehehe I didn't notice it drop a little bit at the 30 second mark.
Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old May 10, 2008, 09:58 AM
Bay Area California
Joined Apr 2007
2,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski
Keep an eye on here 4#3 inverted (0 min 40 sec)
It might not work straight away.
I had a nice chuckle! Nice flying
sketchaholic is offline Find More Posts by sketchaholic
Old May 10, 2008, 12:24 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
Beta test light kit

My wife called (im at work, and said that my light kit has arrived . I will be able to get started on that this weekend. I will post pic's in the Need 2 Beta testers for light kit for Walkera 4#3 thread.
Old May 10, 2008, 04:08 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
hmmm... This is the quietest this thread has been in a while, so here's something to pass the time. I made it very early on and my piloting skills are much better now (this was about 3 weeks after I got my heli, never flown one before that).

Walkera 4#3 Chase Cam (1 min 49 sec)

PS That helipad on the kitchen floor stayed there for weeks, and the wife never even said anything about it (nice!! )
Old May 10, 2008, 04:23 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Nice flying Nexgen,
Iam hanging my head in shame now.
I have been too scared to try flying through doorways.
Jason
Old May 10, 2008, 04:28 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
my thing was to start by shooting through them quickly, and then dealing with the corrections after I was through the skinny part. That logic did not work going down the hallway, so I had to white knuckle it through there.
Old May 10, 2008, 04:33 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
I want to make another one now that I can fly much better. I did a walk through once that was the same as the vid, but then up the stairs, into my kids room, and then back down. I lost it on the way down the stairs tho and crashed.
Old May 10, 2008, 05:00 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
They are the best videos though,
Old May 10, 2008, 05:33 PM
heliman, junior grade
nyc
Joined Jun 2007
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaldu
Be aware of this guy "MarioIArguello" MIA company. I purchased goods (microheli + parts) for 250$ on ebay but i nevere received after 2 months he closed the shop on ebay ! I also tried to conatact him on email but no success.

I almost feel bad even giving this nonsense more attention, but I'm catching up on the thread and I just have to take exception.

I've done quite a bit of business with Mario in the 5 weeks or so since I found this thread, and his service and products have been nothing but excellent. He ships quickly, except when holding off to include newer, better versions of his products at no cost (fine with me!). He's easy to contact, and he even threw in free battery rubber bands for me on a canopy order, since my frame predated that addtion (BTW Mario, got that order today: thanks!).

No one should feel any hesitation ordering these awesome frames from Mario. Great product, great seller, 'nuff said.

Attached is a pic of my brushless G10, just to make this post less pointless

Cheers,
/alex.
r0shi is offline Find More Posts by r0shi
Old May 10, 2008, 06:50 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Sorry for being off topic,but does anybody have too much old junk in a drawer? Or do they want someone elses junk instead of buying little bits for an experiment?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862213
It is just a little idea that might help the heli group.
Regards Jason
Old May 10, 2008, 08:18 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
RcHobbyHelicopter is a Dealer for MIA Products and we have never had a problem with Mario and getting his products on time. We carry a large inventory of Mircro-Flight Products and enjoy Mario's Professionalism and quick response time.
cheers, johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old May 10, 2008, 08:20 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0shi
I almost feel bad even giving this nonsense more attention, but I'm catching up on the thread and I just have to take exception.

I've done quite a bit of business with Mario in the 5 weeks or so since I found this thread, and his service and products have been nothing but excellent. He ships quickly, except when holding off to include newer, better versions of his products at no cost (fine with me!). He's easy to contact, and he even threw in free battery rubber bands for me on a canopy order, since my frame predated that addtion (BTW Mario, got that order today: thanks!).

No one should feel any hesitation ordering these awesome frames from Mario. Great product, great seller, 'nuff said.

Attached is a pic of my brushless G10, just to make this post less pointless

Cheers,
/alex.
Very Nice! are you using thesteve converters and what esc?
good work!
-johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old May 10, 2008, 11:21 PM
heliman, junior grade
nyc
Joined Jun 2007
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
Very Nice! are you using thesteve converters and what esc?
good work!
-johnw
Oh, it's the bog-standard ebay ESC, steve's tucked in the 4-in-1, losi conversion. You can see my home made micro-antenna (that's a WD40 straw). I'm using an 11t pinion, which I guess is unusual.... It works well, but I sort of miss the ridiculous power of the 12t. The motor is definitely cooler, though. I haven't started timing flights yet, since I was still playing around with trim, and the geared tail using the stock geared tail mount.

To do this, I cut off the screw mount using an xacto. This gave me a fairly smooth ~1/4" cylinder on the end of the tail mount. The diameter of this was just small enough so that I could drill out one of the white plastic spacer blocks and mount the gear-case in one end and the boom in the other.

The only problem with this arrangement is that the plastic block I'm using isn't really long enough for the job, so I had to use copious CA to make it stay. If it were longer, I could trim more plastic on the tail mount and stick it in further. It would probably still need CA, but I'd feel a lot better about it. The shortness of the block also means that it doesn't stick on the boom as far as it should, so I used CA there as well. The result is pretty solid, though it can be twisted a bit as the shrink tubing slides on the boom. This isn't all bad, as it has allowed me to play around with twisting the tail rotor a few degrees up or down (I'm not convinced it does much of anything).

I have another G10 frame that I bought originally and tried to put together. It came out rather.... crooked (I'm new to this ). I chalked it up to learning and built this new one. I may de-bond the CA on the original one and salvage a longer plastic block, when and if the current setup falls apart.

The tragedy is that I actually would have had enough blocks, since the new assembly directions specify splitting one block in half to mount the landing gear to the main body. But I thought I was extra-clever so I split *both* blocks and used the two halves I liked the best. It wasn't until later when I started to consider how to mount a geared tail that I began to regret that decision.

Overall, the setup flies very well, and I found the tail much easier to trim and control with the geared setup. I did have some bad stability problems, but I've just realized that this is badly bent main shaft (I can't believe I didn't see it before ). I haven't gotten around to fixing that yet, as I've been too busy flying my HBFP outside I'm pretty confident, though, that once I take care of that last problem, it's going to be a very fine, rock solid flier.

Hope this helps somebody, somewhere, since I've gotten so much great info on these pages....

/alex.
r0shi is offline Find More Posts by r0shi