HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:44 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Tampere, Finland
Joined Feb 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microkites
darn-didnt think of the brushes when I reversed wires!

mk
well I have a few spare tail motors-will experiment!
Another way to do it is keep the tail motor wires the normal way, but flip the tail rotor on the shaft (so the blades curve towards the motor instead of away) and motor in the mount (so the rotor is on the left side of the tail boom) so it "sucks" the tail instead of blowing it. I think the tail fin and other bits and pieces may reduce the effectiveness aerodynamically, but it may save the brushes. This is assuming of course that the brushes DO die quicker. They may handle it just fine and you don't have to change a thing

Experimentation is the way to go.

-Oobly
oobly is offline Find More Posts by oobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2008, 08:30 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobly
Another way to do it is keep the tail motor wires the normal way, but flip the tail rotor on the shaft (so the blades curve towards the motor instead of away) and motor in the mount (so the rotor is on the left side of the tail boom) so it "sucks" the tail instead of blowing it. I think the tail fin and other bits and pieces may reduce the effectiveness aerodynamically, but it may save the brushes. This is assuming of course that the brushes DO die quicker. They may handle it just fine and you don't have to change a thing

-Oobly

lol I tried that before switching wires-not very effective,I am afraid

wont hold tail that way

will do some sustained hovering today to check things-especially tail motor!

I think I will like geared tail better-but we will see..........

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobly

-Oobly
The vertical tail fin which supports the DD motor is machined out, not full flat sheet, to reduce any effect on the tail rotor wash over it if installed as oobly is indicating, but shoot for the dd set up as in the following picture, with the blade facing it as shown, with the vertical stabilizer or without as I have it. With the vertical stabilizer it helps prevent tail-ground strikes.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:33 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
The vertical tail fin which supports the DD motor is machined out, not full flat sheet, to reduce any effect on the tail rotor wash over it if installed as oobly is indicating, but shoot for the dd set up as in the following picture, with the blade facing it as shown, with the vertical stabilizer or without as I have it. With the vertical stabilizer it helps prevent tail-ground strikes.
mine is set up that way

well I can get it to hover nice but the dd tail has no authority-takes constant trimming and rudder control to keep it from wandering when I do anything but hover-I just dont think dd will hold well for bl-but any suggestions will be appreciated.

if I dont get dd to work-will mod tailcase for wider boom which I love

with longer boom,geared should have good authority

am testing my new 2.4ghz metal 4#3-she is sweet and almost hoh out of the box

mk
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:54 PM
master 4#3
istanbul Türkiye
Joined Jan 2008
958 Posts
Mario please consider shipping worldwide.forum member TheSteve made his converter available worldwide and never had a problem afaik.

microkites you are a lucky man
baygenco is offline Find More Posts by baygenco
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:26 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
brushless

Quote:
mine is set up that way

well I can get it to hover nice but the dd tail has no authority-takes constant trimming and rudder control to keep it from wandering when I do anything but hover-I just dont think dd will hold well for bl-but any suggestions will be appreciated.

if I dont get dd to work-will mod tailcase for wider boom which I love

with longer boom,geared should have good authority

am testing my new 2.4ghz metal 4#3-she is sweet and almost hoh out of the box

mk
I think your going to find out you need to goto a brushless tail motor.I found this out on my micron v2 when i was the first to go full brushless. And MB did this with 2s set up just like i did. I will be building Up a Carbon MIA with seperates and brushless main and tail with spektrum rx and feigao esc's and e-sky hh gyro, just like my microns. Using the Losi 10250kv and 3.5g outrunner in the tail.
-johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:41 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
I think your going to find out you need to goto a brushless tail motor.I found this out on my micron v2 when i was the first to go full brushless. And MB did this with 2s set up just like i did. I will be building Up a Carbon MIA with seperates and brushless main and tail with spektrum rx and feigao esc's and e-sky hh gyro, just like my microns. Using the Losi 10250kv and 3.5g outrunner in the tail.
-johnw
well I had no problem with tail when I used stock frame bl-just extended my boom 1/2"

so I think that going back to geared should fix it(I hope)

boy with this tight metal head and swash I have on my 2.4 and the wider blades-I really want to go bl-metal-this g10 frame will be good for that

mk
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:50 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
Not sure about these motors but usually once you run a brushed motor it will seat the brushes, wears a groove into the carbon so it hugs the commutator. The thing is on cheap motors the brush will sort of lean in the direction the motor turns. So if you reverse the polarity of the motor to spin the other direction the brushes could crumble because the thin part that was the trailing edge of the brush is not the leading edge and will bite into the commutator usually cracking and causing all sorts of chaos in the motor.

Now heres the thing if you have a brand new motor and run it in reverse the brushes should seat in for that new direction and not have any problems being run in reverse. The motor should be absolutely brand new as in never run at all. Now unless they have changed the way these brushed motors are assembled I could be wrong. I hope you understand the theory.

Anyone ever leave their TX on the spektrum on over night? Does it damage the batteries or does the TX have a low voltage cut off to save the batteries?

On another note, if anyone could help me out. I need the UPC codes for the spektrum gear. SPM2710, SPMAR6200 and SPM6100. I just bought some new radio gear and wanted to get the rebate for the free receivers, but my wife being a clean freak threw out my packaging. There goes $138 dollars in free receivers. Sigh..
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Old Apr 22, 2008, 05:37 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
New MIA Carbon Frames

I just recieved the First 12 New MIA Carbon Fiber Frames from Mario.
thanks Mario!
www.rchobbyhelicopter.com
Site Sponsor
Last edited by johnIn2SonAZ; Apr 22, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 06:05 PM
Belfast
Joined Apr 2007
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whilrybird
On another note, if anyone could help me out. I need the UPC codes for the spektrum gear. SPM2710, SPMAR6200 and SPM6100. I just bought some new radio gear and wanted to get the rebate for the free receivers, but my wife being a clean freak threw out my packaging. There goes $138 dollars in free receivers. Sigh..
Whats the UPC code? I just bought a 6100 but can't claim since I got my dx6i 2 weeks before the offer started .
Fuddmeister is offline Find More Posts by Fuddmeister
Old Apr 22, 2008, 06:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
darn-didnt think of the brushes when I reversed wires!

mk
well I have a few spare tail motors-will experiment!
The 4#3 tail drive motors are coreless, I don't think they come with carbon brushes as in the main drive motors, so these wiper brushes extend over the commutator's center line, If you reverse the leads they will be fine, if you notice tail slugish, with direct or geared drive, might be time to change the tail motor.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Old Apr 22, 2008, 06:37 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
The 4#3 tail drive motors are coreless, I don't think they come with carbon brushes as in the main drive motors, so these wiper brushes extend over the commutator's center line, If you reverse the leads they will be fine, if you notice tail slugish, with direct or geared drive, might be time to change the tail motor.
ok-that is my next step-thanx,I have a few new t. motors laying around

grin might be a bit-I am loving my 4#3 v2!

stock,out off the box, almost hands off hover!

it is twice as quite as 4#3 v1!! think it is the finer gear mesh

so quiet I can hear my servos work!-and these servos are quieter than any other of my 4#3 or 5g6!

is going to be sweet bl

I go fly her outside now!

mk
Old Apr 22, 2008, 06:41 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
The cardboard has the barcode on the back. Thats the UPC.

Is that V2 the 2.4 metal?
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Last edited by whilrybird; Apr 22, 2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 03:32 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
well I had no problem with tail when I used stock frame bl-just extended my boom 1/2"

so I think that going back to geared should fix it(I hope)

boy with this tight metal head and swash I have on my 2.4 and the wider blades-I really want to go bl-metal-this g10 frame will be good for that

mk
Sorry i forgot your only running 1s. You would have a problem with the tail holding if you were running 2s. then the losi can spin up past 75,000 rpm!
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2008, 07:26 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whilrybird

What's this about free receivers? I bought an ar6100 last week.
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer