I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
curved = stiffer=no shock absorbtion, strait=flex= shock absorbtion
-johnw
really? hmm doesnt seem logical......... well will do the math when sober and find out

so where does the energy go in straght lg? where do they flex? at frame connection right?-seems force in straight skids would concentrate to frame?
weak 4 connection point,rather than upward flexing of lg?

seems backward to me-but I am often awesomely wrong!

so tell me what I am not understanding!

hehe
the internet kicks ass sometimes!

mk

btw-I design kites and have good knowledge of how forces dance-which is why helis are so addictive-but with cf-a curved spar will ALWAYS spring(absorb force) more than a straight one-grin-is amazing what you can fly if you try!
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Last edited by microkites; Apr 18, 2008 at 12:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microkites
thanx

quality wasnt in question,just design factors-straight l/g looks like honeybee fp, curved looks like most 450 size!

if same material-would choose curved over straight just for shock absorbtion if nothing else

mk
WHen parts are manufactured from flat sheet either G10 or Carbon, the Struts can be made with the curve like the 450 size helis, this was my approach with the first G10 Frames, to have this look, but they the stuts are rigid, and do not compress sideways if you look at the heli fron the front or back.

With the straight new strut designs this flex, or side to side compression is there but we loose the standard 450 helis strut look.

OK the questions I am faced with when I design parts are eactly the above. Which one do I chose? Decisions decisions? and Why?

The question I asked myself was, does the straight struts (carbon frame look) take away or enhance the product, the answer was? It enhances it, even though it doesn't look like the 450 standard strut anymore for the reasons indicated above. So double plus! Mechanical it provides a cushion and aesthetically, looks great! from any angle you see it. This is how I made that decision and I asked John in a preliminary discusion about them and he confirmed the look. I also like the look of the Belt CP King struts when seen from the sides, they angle towards the front, and this also influenced my decision on making them llook like that.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Apr 18, 2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:16 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
you know what? I am Wrong! (see I told you so!)

just realized-the forces I am dealing iwth in curved spars are opposite of what a heli l/g is!

so straight will spring more on impact!

sorry-I blame the 2 beers!

deep chagrin

Mk

durabality over aesthetics!-though does look good-
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:20 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
you know what? I am Wrong! (see I told you so!)

just realized-the forces I am dealing iwth in curved spars are opposite of what a heli l/g is!

so straight will spring more on impact!

sorry-I blame the 2 beers!

deep chagrin

Mk
MK. That's cool! I have a problem ....I visuallize things in my head very easy especially in 3 D and so when I talk, I talk in these terms as I see them in my head but I forget not many pople can visualize from words so I added the pic again to go along with my explanation.. I am glad you see it. Thanks!
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:26 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
In the Carbon frame if the L/G was the curved design it would take away from the great looks of a carbon weave and this is part of the attraction of carbon fiber along with the bonus of weight savings. to add to this the strait design gives shock absrobtion too. it's looks are perfect and performance is spot on. i was very happy and honered to be included in the carbon frame developement. don't change a thing mario!
it's going to be a joy to get this one flying too.
-johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:29 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
MK. That's cool! I have a problem ....I visuallize things in my head very easy especially in 3 D and so when I talk, I talk in these terms as I see them in my head but I forget not many pople can visualize from words so I added the pic again to go along with my explanation.. I am glad you see it. Thanks!
actually wasnt the pix-just thought-but the pic made me add that it looked nice!

I design 3d animations,origamic architecture,kites and silver lockets and micro gadgets-all for profits-along with painting and sculpture for fun,have 6 patents-4 on kites alone-my point being that 3d visualization is second nature to me! I hate when I dont understand something!

that is why I love helis! new modes of flight to learn!

with tech as it is these days- be able to design human wings soon-I am so close! but helis are fine for now!

mk
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:32 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
In the Carbon frame if the L/G was the curved design it would take away from the great looks of a carbon weave and this is part of the attraction of carbon fiber along with the bonus of weight savings. to add to this the strait design gives shock absrobtion too. it's looks are perfect and performance is spot on. i was very happy and honered to be included in the carbon frame developement. don't change a thing mario!
it's going to be a joy to get this one flying too.

-johnw
though I was talking g10 frame-which is what I am getting-I dont even mind stock frame-but I like to experiment!

mk
Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:36 AM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsiege
Dumping the 4#3 from the fleet. Has broken rotor head but tons of spares including new heads. Starting at 29.99 + 9.95 ship. Thanks for the help but time to dump this one.

ebay listing
Hello!
It is me who bought servos from you yesterday
And person who helps me with delivery - "P-6e" here
Kostya
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:15 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
My Gl-450 (Trex clone) has the best shock absorbing landing gear I have ever used.
If you can picture a hunting bow on the front and another on the back.
They have suppressed some very hard landings and I cant believe they survived.
Then again,Iam comparing them with Walkera 52 landing gear that breaks if the blades are weighed down with a spec of dust.
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Apr 18, 2008, 09:36 AM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
I went back to the 1 tail blade setup rather than using 2 tail blades. Seems that my theory of more thrust was incorrect. It was making the motor spin slower, but there was less authority. I am going to shave a tail rotor to see how I like that. I want to get back to having the same type of authority I had on the stock frame. Perhaps the lighter carbon frame will restore some of that lost authority.

Mario, the G-10 frame flies like a CHAMP, and my heli hovers rock solid. I have never been able to fly this well with the stock frame. I now have moved the servo balls back to the middle holes, and have great control. I am even considering going to the outer holes!

I cant wait until the carbon frames are available at your website , and also the edge canopy (it is the 3rd week of April after all, ;-) ). John when is your site going to be up?

Mario, any thoughts on making carbon blades? you could make them a little longer than stock to make them look more scale, like larger helis, and to add a little more lift to compensate the added weight of the G-10.
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
Old Apr 18, 2008, 09:43 AM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
Quote:
I was one of those lucky 9!

I was hoping to have your frame tested by the time I get it

its been a week!

<--impatient!

grin-was just hoping it would be here today......

How the he did you get to be one of the lucky 9. I CANT WAIT until I can buy this version.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 02:32 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen
I went back to the 1 tail blade setup rather than using 2 tail blades. Seems that my theory of more thrust was incorrect. It was making the motor spin slower, but there was less authority. I am going to shave a tail rotor to see how I like that. I want to get back to having the same type of authority I had on the stock frame. Perhaps the lighter carbon frame will restore some of that lost authority.

Mario, the G-10 frame flies like a CHAMP, and my heli hovers rock solid. I have never been able to fly this well with the stock frame. I now have moved the servo balls back to the middle holes, and have great control. I am even considering going to the outer holes!

I cant wait until the carbon frames are available at your website , and also the edge canopy (it is the 3rd week of April after all, ;-) ). John when is your site going to be up?

Mario, any thoughts on making carbon blades? you could make them a little longer than stock to make them look more scale, like larger helis, and to add a little more lift to compensate the added weight of the G-10.
Hopefully i will have my new website up this weekend.
thanks for asking.
i will add hard to find pieces for mods i have done on all my helis soon.
like special pinions, motors and the like.
cheers, johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 18, 2008, 04:05 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
I got a pretty slick light setup on my heli (different than my avatar) , I will add pictures later this evening. I think some of you will like it.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 08:39 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen
How the he did you get to be one of the lucky 9. I CANT WAIT until I can buy this version.
early bird etal!
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:32 AM
Biel, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2006
68 Posts
Ordering outside USA

"Ordering from outside the USA:
Please have a USA friend order it for you and send it to you. I am really sorry but right now we are not shipping outside the USA."

Hello
Please allow me to ask: Is someone in the USA kindly interested and willing to order and send such wonderful parts for people like me outside the USA? I would very much love to get some - and besides me surely man other people as well. No problem about paying for shipping and handling on my side. Thank you for your interest. Happy landings.
mokabo123 is offline Find More Posts by mokabo123