HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2008, 03:33 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
tail drift tip

I have stumbled across someting with the gyro in the 4#3.
If anyone is having a problem with adjusting the tail trim on the radio i have discovered something. when the 4#3 is first powered up the position of the tail trim on the radio will be the gyros center point. So when you first power the heli up have the trim on the radio centered to compensate. And pow it's flying true!
cheers,
johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2008, 06:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
I have stumbled across someting with the gyro in the 4#3.
If anyone is having a problem with adjusting the tail trim on the radio i have discovered something. when the 4#3 is first powered up the position of the tail trim on the radio will be the gyros center point. So when you first power the heli up have the trim on the radio centered to compensate. And pow it's flying true!
cheers,
johnw

John,

Ideally, the trims on the transmitter should be set to mid point before connecting the battery to the helicopter, also, it is best not to disturb or move the helicopter once the battery is pluggesd so that the gyro stabilizes and centers itself properly. This is the sequence it goesw through with the flickering of the LED on the controller, let it do its thing, do not touch the heli while its doing this, than after 10 seconds you are ready to go! .
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:08 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
gyro initalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
John,

Ideally, the trims on the transmitter should be set to mid point before connecting the battery to the helicopter, also, it is best not to disturb or move the helicopter once the battery is pluggesd so that the gyro stabilizes and centers itself properly. This is the sequence it goesw through with the flickering of the LED on the controller, let it do its thing, do not touch the heli while its doing this, than after 10 seconds you are ready to go! .
Mario,
this is true for the FM 4#3 only. i have found that the 2.4ghz version does not do this. nothing changes no matter where the trim is upon initial start up.
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:27 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
hey mario will that flybar auto stabilization work on a CP heli?
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Old Apr 16, 2008, 02:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whilrybird
hey mario will that flybar auto stabilization work on a CP heli?
Yes, but for a CP heli you would need a slider (up-down) 2-part rotor hub.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA Carbon Frames. 4.0 grams !!!

John, Got the carbon frames going this week.
Total weight 4.0 grams! same sturdy block construction as the MIA G10 frames but at the same weight as the original plastic stock 4#3 frame. Taking pictures this afternoon.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 06:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA Carbon Frame for the Walkera 4#3. Premiminary Photo

This is just a preliminary shot to see how the frame looks with the MIA "Edge" canopies and MIA decals , ala King Bellt CP theme. Hard to believe this is a Palm Size helicopter. It totally changes the Walkera helicopter completely.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 07:04 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
MIA Carbon Frames

Mario,
great talking to you on the phone today. the carbon frames look awesome!
i can't wait to get the first run of 24 carbon frames for my website!
Mario you have another home run on your hands!
talk to you soon,
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Last edited by johnIn2SonAZ; Apr 16, 2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 07:08 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
MIA Carbon Frame Set

guys this is another photo of the new MIA Carbon Frame Set. They will be available on my website sometime next week for $59.99 ea.
cheers,
johnw
www.rchobbyhelicopter.com
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:26 PM
Tempe, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
90 Posts
someone say sexy?
DJ NeX is offline Find More Posts by DJ NeX
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:56 PM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,957 Posts
Dumping the 4#3 from the fleet. Has broken rotor head but tons of spares including new heads. Starting at 29.99 + 9.95 ship. Thanks for the help but time to dump this one.

ebay listing
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Marrying 4#3 Red Metal Parts with MIA Frames

I love the red metal parts Wakera has done on some preliminary new 4#3 helis. I found this today but unfortunately the helis are not available yet. Only 9 were sold to a few people, but I got a photo of it and did a bit of phto magic to see how the red metal parts would show with the MIA frames... this is the result. The canopy they have is much bigger than my upgrade canopies and so this will have a penalty on weight, mine will be lighter.

But here is a look to look forward to.. Walkera Alu mechanics on MIA Upgrade frames.

Anyway both MIA G10 and Carbon frames are now equipped for multiple servo locations, in case Walkera decides to come out with a CCPM version with typical CCP mounting (2 servos in the rear one near the front).
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:32 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
metal parts for 4#3

Mario,
yeah that will be the ultimate bling your carbon frame with the red anodized metal parts! How are my frames coming along?
cheers,
johnw
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:44 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
I was one of those lucky 9!

I was hoping to have your frame tested by the time I get it

its been a week!

<--impatient!

grin-was just hoping it would be here today

I really do not want to go direct drive tail!

they say the mod to fit tailcase is easy,but Mario,I am probably not the only one who would like geared tailcase too-if only for comparision! If not too difficult to do

would be worth a few more bucks on frame-I would pay more

btw-your cf frame and mht one,while differant-are the same price-I had one-wasnt worth the expense-I like basic design of yours better-but alu pylon on mht was nice

people having to chamfer the bearing seats is going to make for some sloppy work-then bitching about frame-would maybe consider a better bearing support

but I know-If I want the price-I better be prepared to do the work-note-the word "kit" might be more prominently displayed on your page-if only to warm people they have to build!-you would think it would be obvious-but human stupidity is infinite!

but anyway-if I go dd tail on bl-is going to burn out my tail motors every couple of flights! It alreadt is working real hard! had to lower my throttle curves way down to keep it from work so hard

if I put my new metal 2.4 in your frame-I am back to brushed for a while(till they find the fet!) so dd might be ok-but not for bl! (imho)

mk

thanx

Mk

edit: thanx for quick response-and delay for improvements always ok!

p.s.-I like look of g10 one over your cf one alot!
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:50 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,046 Posts
Love my Walkera 4#3 G10 Frame

I completed my Walkera 4#3 MIA G10 frame tonight and took it for a maiden flight in the garage. For this initial test, I used a stock motor setup (with heatsink on motor).
I was very pleased. It seemed to fly smoother and a little less twitchy. Hovers and piros were all very stable. I did several figure 8's as well as ovals (go fast, turn left for stock car fans). I got a few forward funnels too.
The stock canopy had to be cut quite a bit on the bottom, but it fit. I was pleased that the CG seemed spot-on; even with the longer tail boom.

I was very surprised how well the direct dirve tail motor handled. I just pressed the 4#3 stock tail blade on the motor shaft. It did seem to need a bit more right trim and right turns were a bit slower than geared. (this seems natural as the motor was loaded a bit.) I was pleased that the tail motor didn't get too hot. In fact, I couldn't feel any heat with my fingers, so I stuck the motor to my lips right after flying a full battery . (OK, maybe that was stupid). but it was only slightly warm. I will trim the blade to pick up a few rpm's and efficiency. I guess the extra boom length helps with leverage.

I've got an extra TheSteve's brushless setup which I will install in a day or two. I already love the setup in another stock frame set-up.

Glad to have you back, Mario.

Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is offline Find More Posts by Swilson50