SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2008, 07:23 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Micron V2 vs. MIA 4#3

this is a size comparison of the Micron V2 and MIA 4#3.
if anyone is interested.
-johnw
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
this is a size comparison of the Micron V2 and MIA 4#3.
if anyone is interested.
-johnw
John,

Pictures look great, the Micron and MIA 4#3 are better in size proportions to the equipment. This is the reason I went a bit larger with the G10 frames, and canopies, makes the helicopters look like real helis.

I like the blue heat shrink tubing touch on the skids. Very cool. I will add more heat shrink tubing, in each G10 frame kit, so people can do the same if they like the skids, rubber like, color touch. Thanks for posting the pics.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:31 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
John,

Pictures look great, the Micron and MIA 4#3 are better in size proportions to the equipment. This is the reason I went a bit larger with the G10 frames, and canopies, makes the helicopters look like real helis.

I like the blue heat shrink tubing touch on the skids. Very cool. I will add more heat shrink tubing, in each G10 frame kit, so people can do the same if they like the skids, rubber like, color touch. Thanks for posting the pics.
thanks Mario,
i may have found a place to get 64 pitch 6tooth, 7tooth,and 8tooth pinions with 1.5mm bore. these will be perfect for the losi motors in your frame!
So can you make me some carbon frames for my new website?
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Last edited by johnIn2SonAZ; Apr 14, 2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 03:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Quote:
thanks Mario,
i may have found a plae to get 64 pitch 6tooth, 7tooth,and 8tooth pinions with 1.5mm bore. these will be perfect for the losi motors in your frame!
So can you make me some carbon frames for my new website?
-johnw

Thanks John, about the Carbon frames. Yes I can make some for your site also. I'll send you my price quotes via Email.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 03:37 PM
Zwolle, The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
948 Posts
Mario i sent you a pm
Junglemaxx is offline Find More Posts by Junglemaxx
Old Apr 14, 2008, 03:39 PM
Joined Jan 2008
215 Posts
Me too Mario.
micron5 is offline Find More Posts by micron5
Old Apr 14, 2008, 04:13 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
mia frame stock tailcase

someone here mounted the stock tailcase on the mia frame-I would like to do that rather than use dd tail-tail motor is working hard enough!

if anyone has done it-how? just reamed it out a little?

I am getting my frame in a few days(I hope) so any pointers would be great!

watched vids,though I dont have a chamfering tool! any other options?

thanx

MK
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Apr 14, 2008, 04:51 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
geared tail on MIA frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by microkites
someone here mounted the stock tailcase on the mia frame-I would like to do that rather than use dd tail-tail motor is working hard enough!

if anyone has done it-how? just reamed it out a little?

I am getting my frame in a few days(I hope) so any pointers would be great!

watched vids,though I dont have a chamfering tool! any other options?

thanx

MK
just look at this thread i posted pics of this mod. i think i drilled the tail gear housing with a 1/8'' drill bit. it's very easy to get it to fit on the tail boom.
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Last edited by johnIn2SonAZ; Apr 14, 2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 04:56 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
tail boom length?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
Thanks John, about the Carbon frames. Yes I can make some for your site also. I'll send you my price quotes via Email.
great Mario!
may i make a recommendation? i think you should make the length of the tail boom shorter so the gyro doesn't have to work so hard stabilizing the added mass. maybe it should be kept at stock length? just an idea.
what do you think?
just let me know how soon you can make those carbon frames for me!
thanks again, johnw
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:13 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Mario,
On another note i think i am going to be able to get the 7 tooth pinion in 64 pitch with 1.5mm bore made from metal. i am just waiting on a price. So then we can get a brushless motor in your fames up and flying!
-johnw
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Boom Length - Moment Arm, Weight, Speeds and Torque

Quote:
great Mario!
may i make a recommendation? i think you should make the length of the tail boom shorter so the gyro doesn't have to work so hard stabilizing the added mass. maybe it should be kept at stock length? just an idea.
what do you think?
just let me know how soon you can make those carbon frames for me!
thanks again, johnw

John,

the gyro will work less with a longer moment arm (longer boom)but it also depends on the mass at the very tip of it and how much pitch on the main blade the tail has to counteract that force. The rule of thumb in this is, the loger the boom and lighter the tail section, the less power required to the tail end. Reason why direct drive works great in my current setup with the stock components and should work better with a brushless setup because of the higher RPM involved and less torque, if we streamline the blade pitch a little bit more. High torque on a helicopter main rotor means a harder working tail. I prefer higher speeds and this you get with the high speed brushless motors already.

But the boom as I have it designed, can be moved in and out, reason I don't like setting boom end stops or making booms stricly to a certain length. But it all has been preset and figured out for a length that is not too long and not too short. I do a lot of my tests with a lab power supply, thrust fixtures, voltage and current meters to tell me exactly where my power limits are. So don't worry about the lengh so much. Also the carbon pieces for the tail will be lighter too, and you can always use the original 4#3 carbon tube with a a bit more heat shrink tubning to pressure fit it in the MIA frames, as an alternative. But I am still supplying my own booms because they are stronger.

Metal pinions are smoother, I prefer stainless steel ones, like I use on MIA the Bumble Bee kits, because they are very smooth when meshed with nylon or similar polymer spur gears. I can also get those pinions made with the different size bores and since they are the same 64 pitch that is not a problem, however, there will be a penalty in weight for the metal part vs. a plastic pinion. I can mold pinions with any bore from 6T on up, but I have to create the tooling and this normally takes time.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Apr 14, 2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:13 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Mario,
I think using the stock tail boom may be the ticket to some weight savings.
I can't wait to see the new carbon frames!
It was great talking to you today as usual.
cheers,
johnw
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:47 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,311 Posts
john, in one of your pictures, of your MIA frame, (the first pic) it looks like you've cut your antenna down to ~2" is that the 2.4ghz version or do you have a loaded antena or is it the stock antenna? I'm really considering the idea of an MIA frame, they do look REALLY good.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:28 AM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
Regarding the tail motor getting warmer/having to work harder. I rigged 2 stock blades to make a 4 blade tail rotor. This seems to make the tail motor spin slower/not work as hard. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Also I had a thought about the tail drift. I noticed that my main motor is starting to lose power (need to change it out, I have TONS of spares), and like with the stock setup, I notice the tail does not hold the same with low power at the main motor.

Another thing I noticed is that if I have a hard landing, the fly bar, or blades hits the swash guide. I don't know if anyone else has this issue or not. Seems like either the guide is a little to tall, or the head is a little to low.
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
Old Apr 15, 2008, 04:16 PM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd
john, in one of your pictures, of your MIA frame, (the first pic) it looks like you've cut your antenna down to ~2" is that the 2.4ghz version or do you have a loaded antena or is it the stock antenna? I'm really considering the idea of an MIA frame, they do look REALLY good.
Thanks!
No i coiled up the antenna and put it in the canopy. it doesn't seem to effect radio range with the fm set up.
-johnw
Site Sponsor