HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2003, 06:41 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Found a good source for micro size wire.

If you look at an IDE or floppy drive cable (any ribbon cable for that matter) you'll find 20 or more lengths of very fine stranded wire of high quality. You can pick these ribbon cables up for pennies at small computer shops, or pay a bit more and find them at CompUSA or the like. Hope this helps, I've been searching and searching for fine stranded wire for Li-poly hook up wire and the like, this stuff works pretty well.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2003, 07:39 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
another old classic is to use wire from old mice. Quite good stuff

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Jan 09, 2003, 07:52 PM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
Jim,
If you find the newer version of IDE cable, EIDE, the wires are even smaller, well at least the ones I've found.

Philip
fill is offline Find More Posts by fill
Old Jan 09, 2003, 11:01 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
Great idea guys! I'm a computer geek and have tons of that stuff! That wire would probably make a perfect RFFS-100 antenna.
flytowner is offline Find More Posts by flytowner
Old Jan 10, 2003, 08:28 AM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
Philip,

Besides trying to judge the size of the wires, is there a way to identify the EIDE from the IDE cables?

Dave Wulff
Dave Wulff is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wulff
Old Jan 10, 2003, 08:35 AM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
Dave,

The EIDE will have blue connectors while the IDE will have black. The stuff works pretty good, I've been using it for over 2 years now. Pretty flexible, but doesn't like heat too much so be careful with the iron. I usually will pre-tin the wire first.

Philip
Old Jan 10, 2003, 08:41 AM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
Philip,

Thanks, every time I buy a replacement hard drive it comes with a new cable that I never use...probably have a bunch around somewhere.

Dave
Dave Wulff is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wulff
Old Jan 10, 2003, 10:14 AM
MrC
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
192 Posts
How much current with these wires carry?

I'm thinking that this might be a good source to replace wires in the servos to lighten them.

--MrC
MrC is offline Find More Posts by MrC
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:57 AM
Fanfold abuser
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Aug 2002
1,577 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I just wired up my RFFS for the first time and thought more flexible wire and stranded wire would be an improvement. The first two strands would be color coded, as well.
Jgardner is offline Find More Posts by Jgardner
Old Jan 10, 2003, 02:14 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Good idea on the mouse wire Graham, there is some good long wires in there, and they can be found DIRT cheap. Fill: I'm still in the stone age and don't have any EIDE cables, are those the new 100 pin cables that I see now? Sounds like an even better source thanks!

-Jim
Old Jan 10, 2003, 02:16 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
MRC:
I don't know how much current these wires can carry, but would be pretty confident in rewiring a servo with the wire. The GWS picos come with wire that is very nearly the same gauge. The only thing that you'll need to be careful about is wire color since the majority of the wires will be grey. The simple fix is to get a sharpie or two and color the ends of the wires.

-Jim
Old Jan 10, 2003, 03:25 PM
RIP "Long Shadow Flyer"
Upstate New York-- Rochester, NY USA
Joined Oct 2001
732 Posts
Telephone cords have nice small wire inside, usually colored red, green, black, yellow. These are the wires from the phone to the wall, or the Modem to wall cords (everyone probably has a couple in the drawer by the computer). Small stranded very flexable!
The other suggestions got me thinking and cut open some spare cords laying around......
crvogt is offline Find More Posts by crvogt
Old Jan 10, 2003, 04:11 PM
Living Room Aviator
Joined Jun 2002
269 Posts
One consideration for those interested in saving the most weight possible is that plastic insulated wire is always significantly heavier than the same size conductor insulated with an enamel coating (technically some of these "enamels" are actually plastics but for clarity I'm refering to those wires with typically shiny ultrathin coatings that are removed by sanding, scraping, or in some cases, soldering).

One wire I'm having good recent results with is AWG 36 wire with a single polyester insulation coat. It weighs 2.95 mg/in and has no problem with currents of 200 mA (and quite possibly more) over our micro sized lengths (< 10"). Comparable plastic insulated wire can weigh several times as much.

-David
drliu is offline Find More Posts by drliu
Old Jan 10, 2003, 04:37 PM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
Jim,
The actual connector is the exact same, but I think on the older IDE not all the pins are used. I'm looking at both cables right now, and my IDE says 28awg while my EIDE is 30awg.
Philip
Old Jan 10, 2003, 06:18 PM
Ogden Ut
Joined May 2002
331 Posts
another source for some (I think) 40awg wire is guitar pickups. There is a TON of it on the bobbins.
Timmy is offline Find More Posts by Timmy