Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 30, 2008, 04:50 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,996 Posts
Build Log
VQ Hawker Hurricane 40 size build ***MAIDENED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received the 40 sized VQ Hawker Hurricane a few weeks ago and I finally have some time to start the assembly. I ordered it directly from www.vqwarbirds.com . Excellent service, selection and prices. This is a superb ARF model that is very, very complete. There's nothing extra to buy with regard to fittings, wheels, pushrods and ez-connectors. Following are some photos of the Hurricane in the box and a few to show that the sides are in fact stringered but not as much as the 60 sized VQ Hurricane. It arrived double boxed with the inner box further protected with crumpled newspaper. Mine arrived without any damage-- a first for me!

I worked on the landing gear yesterday and have to load the photos. A note: Don't follow the assembly order in the plans booklet. It has you joining the wing halves first...WRONG. You have to work the retracts in place and run the aileron servo wires (and wires for lights if you like) before joining them.

More later.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CarreraGTSCS; Aug 11, 2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Maidened!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2008, 05:08 PM
Amped UP!
Saint Cloud FL
Joined Jan 2007
705 Posts
What kind of motor are you planning on using? How many cells? I thought of doing an electric conversion on the VQ P-40. Still need to finish a couple of other projects first. My Kyosho Tony is next. Going from the foamy's to the bigger birds is a lot more $$$. I'm glad I have the Tony in hand, after only being out a short time it's been discontinued.

I will watch this thread with interest.

Good flying
AR1516 is offline Find More Posts by AR1516
Old Mar 30, 2008, 07:49 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,286 Posts
Nice looking kit.
I'll be watching as well. This looks really interesting. Although I think I prefer the fleet air arm colours (the one on the box) this one still looks great.
Good luck and make sure to post lots of pics.
Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Mar 30, 2008, 09:02 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,996 Posts
I'm going to use a Turnigy C4260-500 (www.HobbyCity.com) on 6s lipos (2x 3s packs). I didn't think to check to see if my esc is 6s capable. I have to make another order from HC for a motor mount and some battery connectors and I might need another esc. I'll have to see what BPHobbies.com has on sale.

This is a really nice looking kit that I'm betting you could assemble in a day if the family was away for the day that is! I have in the back of my mind the thought to repaint this plane someday in a BoB flat earth colors scheme. I have the 60 size Sea Hurricane and it is a really stunning model. If it makes it through the summer I'm planning to bring it to the NEAT Fair in September '08 along with the 40 size. My truck will be full of planes.

I have the retracts in place temporarily just adjusting the position. The seem to work pretty darn well and smoothly too. I want to use a standard servo on them because I bought a Multiplex EVO 9 last fall and it has the facility to slow servos, like retract servos, for a more scale looking retract cycle. Have to learn how to use it though. Not enough time in the day.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:13 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,360 Posts
I just picked up the VQ P-51B. The LHS had the 109, a few P-51B's and the Hurricane. I opted for the Mustang as my young son seems to love them right now.

I'm reaserching motors right now and power setups. If I make it to NEAT I'll be bringing this one too.

I do need to source the retracts as the LHS did not have them.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:25 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,996 Posts
Steve-- Try Tomas at VQ. He can get you the right retracts. Mine fit perfect in length and bend angle. The web address is in my first post.

Sack time,
Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2008, 04:06 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,577 Posts
They make very nice, and inexpensive oleo's for the P-51.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:56 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,091 Posts
And for the Hurricane, too.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:54 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,996 Posts
Retracts

Trying a few different things with the retract mounting. The mounting rails are very solid so the retracts should be very stable. I'm considering though replacing the 3x10mm stock screws with allen head bolts and blind nuts for extra security on those rare rough landings. Note that I had to cut away most of the liner pan around the mounting area and you must at the very least remove the area above the mounting rails.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:27 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,047 Posts
I think we should all write VQ and ask them nicely to leave the wheel liners OUT for us to install.

Best of luck on the build, I want to see this one fly at NEAT 08!

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Apr 01, 2008, 12:01 AM
O stewardess I speak jive
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
I fly the Veltro with glow and love it. One question: Does the Hurricane use torque rods for the ailerons or is it seperate servos for each? The Veltro has torque rods which is kind of a bummer... . Just wondering.
Jake Williams is offline Find More Posts by Jake Williams
Old Apr 01, 2008, 12:28 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,167 Posts
Hi Mike! I am watching...We have both sizes at work an i am build one of each also..the 60 size is for me! its very scale looking..
Scott
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Apr 11, 2008, 06:56 AM
Amped UP!
Saint Cloud FL
Joined Jan 2007
705 Posts
How's the build going?
AR1516 is offline Find More Posts by AR1516
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:49 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,996 Posts
Hey guys. This work week was completely draining. I'll do some more work on the Hurri this weekend. I'm so glad it's going to rain!

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2008, 07:02 AM
uhhh....this thing on?
Long Island, NY USA
Joined May 2005
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
I think we should all write VQ and ask them nicely to leave the wheel liners OUT for us to install.

Best of luck on the build, I want to see this one fly at NEAT 08!

Tommy D
Or better yet....not to install them at all.
skyking1231 is offline Find More Posts by skyking1231