HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by im-sad, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:41 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,460 Posts
Discussion
F-16 Xl

Progress on my XL. Havent quite got the rear end contours right but plan to fix that. Really should have looked at photos before sanding all that foam.

Power: HET RC 6904 with 2W motor
Batt: 3s2p 1500mah 20C Evo

Still need to figure out how im gonna duct this thing.
im-sad is offline Find More Posts by im-sad
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:50 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,460 Posts
With canopy.
I hate how it somehow doesnt look right. Input appreciated. Will fix what I can later.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 02:16 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Hi Adrial,

Your F-16XL is coming along nicely- Are you building Ranes design? Mine flew great, just watch the torque when you lasunch. I launched with about 30% angle (looking from behind, left wing high), right wing low, but after a few feet in the air she was off. I used 2 C/F rods on the wing, one about 1/3 in from where leading edge of wing meets fueslage and the other further back near the ailerons.

Your canopy looks fine except I would suggest taking a bit off the bottom so it sits a bit lower? Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Regards
Adrian
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Mar 30, 2008, 06:12 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,011 Posts
It's getting there. These builds really seem to come together near the end. Keep at it.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:15 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,460 Posts
Thanks. Im still deciding on what to do on the front. The back fuse needs some work too. This isn't from Rane's plans. I overlaid a 3 view I liked so I could fit it to the Het fan.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:30 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by im-sad
Thanks. Im still deciding on what to do on the front. The back fuse needs some work too. This isn't from Rane's plans. I overlaid a 3 view I liked so I could fit it to the Het fan.
great!! EDF, no torque problems then-Please keep us posted I will be very interested to see how you get on- All the very best luck, should be really good! What did the wing span come out at?
Old Mar 31, 2008, 06:12 PM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,460 Posts
a bit short of 31.5 in for the wingspan. I only upscaled it around 108-118%. Weighing it yesterday, I found that my current airframe, 3 full size servos, 1 rec, 2 lipos and a container of lightweight spackle would weigh just under 1kg or 35 oz. Not bad I'd say considering I have 350 watts behind it giving a bit under 160 watts/pound.
Old Apr 04, 2008, 10:21 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,460 Posts
Did some more work on it. I cut a bit on the fuse for the canopy to sit lower. Astonishing what 2mm of foam makes. Also did the other side of the fuse. One question to whoever is reading, Does the F-16 fuse taper back? From photos it looks that way but some 3 views tell me otherwise.

need to do Ducting and shape the wing next. The nose also needs some more work. Still too boxy

Adriel
Old Apr 05, 2008, 04:25 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,011 Posts
See? She's comin right along. Nice work Adriel.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Apr 06, 2008, 06:52 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
The canopy sits and looks better now. Keep posting the pics as you go along.
Old Apr 06, 2008, 08:41 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,460 Posts
Thanks J.

Will do EE! Pics are a must.

By the way, I forgot to mention that the intake and the whole bottom of the fuse was taken from my old Blue Eagle F-16 that died from "hangar rash". Fit alright despite being a bit short.
Old Apr 06, 2008, 09:39 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,460 Posts
What would you guys think would be best for paint scheme? Im leaning towards Isreli Camo , Arctic Camo, or "Standard" F-16 XL grey.
Old Apr 06, 2008, 03:58 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Not much help if I say they all look great??!!! Perhaps the standard grey would help with orientation if you left the underside white and with the coloured fin?
Old Apr 07, 2008, 05:55 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,460 Posts
Now that you mention orientation, its got me thinking of those bright orange missiles that they put for testing. The XL grey would look pretty slick with those on dont you think? I mean so would the Arctic but I don't think the XL would look quite as good with the Arctic. Perhaps a 2nd(or third) f-16 for the arctic .
Old Apr 07, 2008, 08:55 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,460 Posts
Just to look busy I looked at the loadout options for the f-16. If I do end up using ordinance, here is what I plan to use and in what colors:

2 wingtip AIM-9 Sidewinders, Operational color (white)
2 AGM-65 Mavericks, outer pylon. OC (white)
2 GBU-31 JDAM 1000 lbs smart bomb's, middle pylon. OC (Olive Drab)
4 AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles, fuse pylons. OC (white)

The JDAM's may be replaced by AGM-84 Harpoon's