HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:22 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,546 Posts
>What about NIRVANA -was that a Vic Smeed design?

The name 'rings a bell' but only a faint one. I don't feel a connection with Smeed but I stand to be corrected
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:40 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
603 Posts
Just thought Nirvana may have been a free plan design that didn't get into the plans service.
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:01 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
533 Posts
Nirvana is a floatplane shown as a small drawing in one of the aeromodeller annuals. It's a bit like a stretched Courtesan with a pair of floats from memory. I can post a scan if anyone is interested.

Woops Gossie beat me to it by a second or two!!
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:01 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,425 Posts
NIRVANA is a SMEED design in the 1953 AEROMODELLER ANNUAL.
It has the option of floats or regular landing gear.
SMEED is not mentioned on the plan or article but somewhere else in a later magazine he is linked to the model. At this stage I don't know where though.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Feb 26, 2009, 05:07 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,546 Posts
Thank you, both ... it's been bugging me all afternoon! I've had this hazy mental picture of a floatplane by that name but could'nt place it ... but AM Annuals I don't have, other than 1950 on a disk, so it just never firmed up.
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Feb 26, 2009, 06:15 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,398 Posts
Thanks for reference Gossie. This is the Nirvana drawing included in an article by Vic called "Floatplanes Are Fun" so I assume it is one of his designs.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:56 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,425 Posts
It's rather nice, isn't it?
I had often thought about building it over the years powering it with a Mills1.3, but as yet??????????
Vic Smeed as mentioned has written the article where the plan is, but it does not really say NIRVANA is a design of his, but I do know for sure in a much later magazine he is mentioned as the designer of NIRVANA.
Someone look it up please........I'm MUCH too lazy.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:39 PM
Napa, CA
Joined May 2007
601 Posts
Since we're all on the subject of Mr. Smeed, does anyone have a complete list of all the "Flying Machines" he designed? I really enjoy his designs and one day would like to collect all his plans. Also, did he design boats as well? I posted the little Hydro-Bat skimmer he designed, but it seems to me that I read somewhere that he was an avid boat builder.
tri-pacer is offline Find More Posts by tri-pacer
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:45 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,090 Posts
There was also another smeed side drawing of a model called SAMBA & or RUMBA or similar in an issue of Aeromodeller. I dont know if the models ever became a reality ,fom memory it was only drawn hypotheically as Smeeds approach to whatever design aspect the article was refering to.
The Nirvana has also been on my 'to build list' for some time (anyone actually have one of these with less than 100 models on it?)
Gossie, build that cute little Celeritas on page 30 of the 1953 AM annual - you were threatening to at one stage.
cheers
Simon
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:20 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorks
There was also another smeed side drawing of a model called SAMBA & or RUMBA or similar in an issue of Aeromodeller. I dont know if the models ever became a reality ,fom memory it was only drawn hypotheically as Smeeds approach to whatever design aspect the article was refering to.
The Nirvana has also been on my 'to build list' for some time (anyone actually have one of these with less than 100 models on it?)
Gossie, build that cute little Celeritas on page 30 of the 1953 AM annual - you were threatening to at one stage.
cheers
Simon
I have built it Simon, and in fact only today fired up the Dart in it.
Here are two pictures of it a few weeks ago without the covering.
I have a couple of things to do to it but should be able to take a pic or two of the finished model tomorrow........How's that for service?

I did build one as a young teenager with the first engine I ever bought with my own hard earned money......A MK2 Allbon Dart with the red head and clear tank in 1954......I guess it did fly but I can't quite remember.
This new one is built to the plan except I have moved the firewall back so I could mount this DC Dart and leave it's tank on, and built the sides of the fuselage forward to the front of the engine......Clear as mud?
This one will be a flier without doubt......I even have a Tomy Timer DT on it.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 05:28 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,090 Posts
Talk about service!! Very nice Gossie! Where's that timer hidden? This is still one of the hundred or so on my to build list.... Looks like a flyer & or floater. Where are those wheels from?

cheers
Simon
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:48 AM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri-pacer
... Also, did he design boats as well? I posted the little Hydro-Bat skimmer he designed, but it seems to me that I read somewhere that he was an avid boat builder.
Just a few.

In the 1955 plans handbook there are 8 of his of scale or semi-scale power boats designs. 5 out of a total of 7 airscrew-driven hydroplanes plans are Smeed designs. Plus in the inserted supplement to the handbook he has another 3 scale designs.
He also has 2 airscrew & 1 Jetex ground vehicle designs listed.
Goodness knows how many more he's added since 1955/6.

Considering the number of scale boat models, it's interesting that he doesn't seem to have designed any scale model aeroplanes.
Or have I overlooked them ?
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:35 PM
Joined Feb 2009
13 Posts
This thread is safe for Vic Smeed's plan.

Tom Thumb is a scaled down plan of Vic Smeed's earleir design Tomboy. Scale up the size by %60 and you get the Tomboy model plan.
Suberk is offline Find More Posts by Suberk
Last edited by Suberk; Mar 01, 2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:40 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorks
Talk about service!! Very nice Gossie! Where's that timer hidden? This is still one of the hundred or so on my to build list.... Looks like a flyer & or floater. Where are those wheels from?

cheers
Simon
Very observant on the wheels Simon.
They are very small aluminium ones given to me by Gordon Burford (The Sabre, Taipan man) about 15 or more years ago......Suggested as pre-WW2.
He had a batch of them and we were all to build a small rubber model that I'm afraid I never got around to doing, because I never liked it much.

The fuselage of CELERITAS is not very high.......Wider than it is high as such, so the timer had to go underneath.

FWIW I never used a solid pylon either, just built it up with a 1/32 outer covering.......So much lighter.......Nothing like building in 'lightness'.

CELERITAS by the way if anybody cares is Latin for speed........Speed with a Dart? I don't think so.

More pics coming soon.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 05:21 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,425 Posts
CELERITAS all done and ready to fly.
I did in fact an hour or so ago give it a test glide in our court......before I got caught doing more childish things by the neighbours LOL, as it was about 7.30am Saturday here so no activity.....Except for me. Seems to glide spot on.

Will put the pics in the FF section as well. Enjoy.