Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:02 AM
Lapsus calami
Joined Aug 2009
81 Posts
Thanks for sharing method in excellent detail; most helpful. I might have to attempt recommissioning my old Badger airbrush, last used in the 70s and long in need of new seals. They are great fun to use.
Undercarter is offline Find More Posts by Undercarter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:33 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
@CL Thanks for the spray painting tips. I thought that was a fade but from some angles I wasn't sure. I like the orientation idea when it's nearby and was wondering how far away ( usually my problem ) you have to get before even that doesn't help. I love the iron cross on an Ember especially since it isn't supposed to represent any particular plane! I think big red dots next time
Again, thanks. I'm not sure when I'll get around to it but winter is coming...
C
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:32 AM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
489 Posts
Thanks guys. It took me a long time to realise, that taking ones time and being methodical, helps avoid some easily overlooked mistakes.
AH, I'm not sure of what distance the markers will still be useful, but my eyes are old and I've yet to try it out. I now have a DX5e that should give me more confidence to take it out further.
My knee is still on the mend, but my patience is running out, one of my kids will have to be talked into coming along on the premise that they are there to take pics and maybe some vid's, that might work LOL!
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:01 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caymin last View Post
Thanks guys. It took me a long time to realise, that taking ones time and being methodical, helps avoid some easily overlooked mistakes.
AH, I'm not sure of what distance the markers will still be useful, but my eyes are old and I've yet to try it out. I now have a DX5e that should give me more confidence to take it out further.
My knee is still on the mend, but my patience is running out, one of my kids will have to be talked into coming along on the premise that they are there to take pics and maybe some vid's, that might work LOL!
I've not used the DX5e. I have the 6i which is great and I can take it wayyyyyy out and up there so it looks like a seagull gliding on the light breeze. Folks here on the forums think that if you can still see it you'll be OK and if anything, the receiver will be the weaker link. The only way I can sometimes tell orientation is to initiate a manoeuvre which I do a lot because I still worry about losing contact. The feel of the 6i is nice too ( less grainy ) so if the 5 is anything like it you'll be pleased. Of course, nothing is like having a few young 'retrievers' along, not to mention the company.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:02 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
So my ember 2 parts came in today. Going to be rebuilding it. Will post pictures when its done! Cant start until after im done with my homework/studying, so i think i should start on that rather than sit on RCG dontcha think?
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:43 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
So my ember 2 parts came in today. Going to be rebuilding it. Will post pictures when its done! Cant start until after im done with my homework/studying, so i think i should start on that rather than sit on RCG dontcha think?
Tell your folks you are doing some research!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Tell your folks you are doing some research!

RD
Hehehehe well i finished my work an hour ago and have started an hour ago. Running into some problems...

How do you install the tail skid?
Last edited by electricrc68; Sep 10, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:52 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
How do you install the tail skid?
Tail Skid wire is press fitted to a piece of the horizontal stabilizer mount. Note photo(s)....

The skid wire slips into a slot in this piece, similar to how the main landing gear is slip fitted to a front wing mount.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
oh okay thanks i will try to get it in there
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Found the problem...end of my tail skid is broken off. Well i'll just glue it on there.
Last edited by electricrc68; Sep 10, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:48 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Found the problem...end of my tail skid is broken off. Well i'll just glue it on there.
I'd first try to use a fine screwdriver or thin blade to push the stub back out to the rear. The skid wire will be more secure, replaceable, and most importantly, there'll be no extra weight ( from glue ) at the tail where it will affect handling.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:15 AM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
The problem is, there is no stub on the end of my tail skid...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:41 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
The problem is, there is no stub on the end of my tail skid...
By stub I mean the end of the tail skit that I assume was broken off?? If the wire was broken and there is no piece of the wire in the slot that Doug pointed out, then check the end of the skid opposite the curl. If it's straight then it could be bent with small needle-nose pliers into a small 'U' and slid in.
Last edited by Airhead600cc; Sep 11, 2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
yeah theres no U at the top. I will try bending it into a U.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Tried getting the U bend in there...didnt really work. I think im just going to glue it. I mean before my dad totalled my Ember, there was a bunch of glue back there and it flew fine...so i dont think a little dab of hot glue should affect it too bad.