SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:39 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Once more with feeling...

I just had the replacement UM J-3 motor die on Ember #1.. A little disappointing with only about 15 hours on it. I shouldn't be too upset as this is the 'lost and found' plane and because I've not replaced anything else and repairs (NOW!) are few. This time I'm making up a 1" motor extension lead so that future swaps are plug'n'play. Oh yeah, and ordering more motors if DS hasn't bought them all up.
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:52 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
15 hrs does'nt seem to be very long, but the little brushed motors are what they are, some last longer than others. The extension is an excellent idea for quick motor swaps.
I've set my Ember 2 project aside for now, at least till my knee is up to trudging around the field. I've been experimenting with a homemade hot-wire cutter, it works pretty well and can cut paper thin slices, also built a bow which is ready for testing, something to keep me busy for now.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:12 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc View Post
Oh yeah, and ordering more motors if DS hasn't bought them all up.
I've cornered the market on small pinion gears.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:42 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,793 Posts

After months of inactivity on the Un-Official Micro-Flyers Video Challenge thread, I think the time has come to create a new challenge thread, including revised rules, more challenge categories, and fresh new concepts. So I have created the new Micro Flyers Great and Small Video Challenge thread to cater for all of the micro flying audience by adding 5 new challenge categories.

All of the challenge categories are as follows:
  • Helis (IN BLUE)
  • Helis 3D (IN LIGHT BLUE)
  • Quads (IN GREEN)
  • Quads 3D (IN DARK GREEN)
  • Planes (IN RED)
  • Planes 3D (IN ORANGE)
  • FPV also including the use of "key chain cams" and other micro recording devices (IN PURPLE)

Additionally I have added a Hall of Fame where you can compete to get your name on the podium in your respective flying class for the ultimate bragging rights.

valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2012
46 Posts
Any tips on the cheapest supplier of bits and pieces for the Ember 2? I have a bent prop shaft and wouldn't mind buying a motor and some other spare parts while I'm at it. I don't have much time to search out and travel to LHSs in my area so it's the internet for me.

Anyhow, I've had my Ember 2 for over a month now and it's a blast to fly but I'm already expecting a few new planes in the mail I needed something with a little more "get up and go" so I don't have to full throttle & nosedive to bring my plane home when the wind is going away from me. The Ember flies well forwards and backwards as many of you already know.
Thirston is offline Find More Posts by Thirston
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:42 AM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirston View Post
Any tips on the cheapest supplier of bits and pieces for the Ember 2? I have a bent prop shaft and wouldn't mind buying a motor and some other spare parts while I'm at it. I don't have much time to search out and travel to LHSs in my area so it's the internet for me.

Anyhow, I've had my Ember 2 for over a month now and it's a blast to fly but I'm already expecting a few new planes in the mail I needed something with a little more "get up and go" so I don't have to full throttle & nosedive to bring my plane home when the wind is going away from me. The Ember flies well forwards and backwards as many of you already know.
A new prop shaft isn't so expensive even at full retail that searching out the lowest price will be much of a savings.
However, once you have your replacement, stick a short length of the red tube from a can of WD-40 over the shaft between the gear and the propeller.
This will make it much less likely for the prop shaft to bend.
TjW is offline Find More Posts by TjW
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:19 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Sure, go hang out with those fast girls! You'll be back, sailor
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:38 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:

Swap in a J-3 motor (Use the wires off your existing motor to exend the wires).

A J-3 motor will give you 30-40% more thrust than the Factory Ember motor and it fits right into the Ember Motor mount.

Part number is PKZ3916 (about $10.50 Shipped off Ebay)
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:46 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
So i just ordered the parts necessary to get my Ember rebuilt, along with a J-3 Cub motor....can't wait to get this plane back in the air! I have a connection with it since it taught me to fly.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:32 PM
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
My little Ember2 project is now ready for it's maiden flight, started with just a fuse /w electronics, which I got as a gift, purchased a main wing and prop, the rest was made from foam dinner plates (for the tail feathers) some wire for the LG/tail skid and a set of stock Champ wheels. I made a template for the iron cross symbols, gave it a light coat of water based acrylic crimson craft paint, then a bit of black sharpie. Here is what she looks like.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:33 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Neat!! Love it!! Makes me want to go throw rocks at my MicroStik from Hobby Lobby!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:33 PM
Lapsus calami
Joined Aug 2009
81 Posts
That's a neat job, Mr Last. It inspires me to rebuild my little Ember that has sat in a drawer for 2 years after being chewed up by a big brute. A splash of colour and a custom tail make all the difference.
Undercarter is offline Find More Posts by Undercarter
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:45 PM
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Much appreciated, thanks to both of you. Will report when the maiden is complete, maybe in the morning, too much wind at the moment.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:02 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caymin last View Post
My little Ember2 project is now ready for it's maiden flight, started with just a fuse /w electronics, which I got as a gift, purchased a main wing and prop, the rest was made from foam dinner plates (for the tail feathers) some wire for the LG/tail skid and a set of stock Champ wheels. I made a template for the iron cross symbols, gave it a light coat of water based acrylic crimson craft paint, then a bit of black sharpie. Here is what she looks like.
Very nice job and I like the asymmetrical design! Must say the Champ wheels don't look out of place at all. Did you spray? What tool? Details please
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:18 PM
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Thanks AH, The idea was to have something to aid orientation, but also not look too much like a hack job. I have an old Testors rig, that they like to call an airbrush LOL! It's the model #8821, cheapest one ever made, with a can of testors aerosol prepellent (Ozone safe of course), I believe I paid about $12 for it, around ten yrs ago, still works though.
The paint is Apple Barrel craft paint Crimson #20533 with one drop of midnight black, the wing was mounted on a piece of scap foam with a small bit of masking tape folded over on itself sticky side out, the white area was masked and the red sprayed from the front so it faded towards the back of the wing, kind of a sunburst effect, three light coats, left to dry in between. The pattern/templates for the iron cross are hand drawn and cut out with an exacto #11 blade, the wing has a 2 1/2" (64mm) size and the vert tail has a 2" (52mm) size, which were outlined and filled in with a black chisel tip sharpie, as were the border lines. The horizontal tail was also sprayed with the same fade teqchnique.
I always strain the paint through a fine mesh screen (available at most paint stores) and add a couple drops of water to avoid cloggs in the spray tip, and then clean all the "airbrush" parts with soap and water between each coat. I hope this helps a bit.