SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:21 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
I had knee surgery on Monday and somebody got me a little surprise present to aid in my recovery, after a little nap I awoke to find this...
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:58 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caymin last View Post
I had knee surgery on Monday and somebody got me a little surprise present to aid in my recovery, after a little nap I awoke to find this...
That's BS, I've had 2 knee surgeries and the only thing I got was a LIMP. Love my Ember and hope you recover fast so you can get yours air-born.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:10 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Coool. I'm going in to get a tooth removed tomorrow and after today all I'm getting is Tylenol
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:36 PM
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Thanks guys, LOL! I'm very excited. Seeing as it will be a couple weeks before I can get to the LHS myself, I'm drawing up some plans for a rudder and elevator, got wire and the wheels to make LG.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
@Caymin last
Is this the first radio upgrade from the 3ch stock unit? If so, you're in for a pleasant surprise! Get well soon.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:05 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc View Post
Just got back from the not so LHS
$69.95 each, no radio, charger, or batteries.
Great deal, as I see it. Most folks will want to bind their Ember to another transmitter, such as the Spektrum DX6i, and most folks probably have another charger suitable for charging 1S Lipo's.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts

Quote:
Thanks guys, LOL! I'm very excited. Seeing as it will be a couple weeks before I can get to the LHS myself, I'm drawing up some plans for a rudder and elevator, got wire and the wheels to make LG.
Then it's a great time for bigger control surfaces and more throw. If you have a computer radio you can fly wild to mild or anywhere between.
TODD
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:53 PM
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Yes Chris, it's my first 'full range' radio, I've ordered a patch cord, GWS(USB), so it can be used for a sim on the PC.
Hey Todd, that's a excellent Idea!. Do you know what the dimensions are for the stock tail feathers? I still have some foam plates and a piece or two of 3mm Pro-Performance foam.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts
1'' squares on the green mat.

Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:43 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Great deal, as I see it. Most folks will want to bind their Ember to another transmitter, such as the Spektrum DX6i, and most folks probably have another charger suitable for charging 1S Lipo's.

RD
Exactly, and with the MA190s, ( thank you, sir ) substantially better batteries than the 70mAh!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Thank you so much Todd, that's exactly what I was looking for. The pics also give me the opportunity to see the proportions of the control surfaces. Bigger will be better!!
I'll update with pics as soon as possible.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:00 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Thank you so much Todd, that's exactly what I was looking for. The pics also give me the opportunity to see the proportions of the control surfaces. Bigger will be better!!
I'll update with pics as soon as possible.
While you are at it, go with the UM J-3 Cub motor. It fits the Ember gearbox, and has the same pinion gear. From what I hear, it really makes the Ember scoot!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Yes, I've read about the UM J-3 Motor mod, sounds like a good idea. Definately will try that.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts

You can also modify the stock parts for more throw. The control horns I cut in half CAed it together wrapped it in white thread then soaked the thread in CA. This gets your control rods closer to the hinge line. If you go this route you have to cut some of the rudder off for more elevator throw. You really need expo for this mod as your Ember will be a lot more twitchy, but like everything you'll get use to it.
TODD
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:24 PM
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
I've been busy making a few templates for my Ember 2 rudder and elevator, still undecided which to use. I also made a few little gearboxes with some spares I had. One was made to fit the Ember, although this was just an exercise born out of boredom.
Todd, I will keep your idea on the control horns in mind.
At the moment I don't have a stock prop, but I'll wait till I can get a UM J-3 motor.
Here are some pics...