HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:38 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc View Post
Sigh... Methinks it to late! I've signed up for AA (Airplanes Anonymous) where my Micro-addiction will be quietly dealt with.
Drop your transmitter and run!! They offer no real help. Micro-addiction can be irreversable. Take it from one who has succumbed to the overwhelming force cleverly hidden in the micro flyer agenda. You have been so advised!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
It's time too take a new pic Doug.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:36 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Speaking of transmitter.... I've mentioned issues binding to multiple transmitters. Confusing was that it varied from the dx4,5, and 6 in different ways. One time it would bind everything but the motor, or all including the motor but any throttle change and the bind would be broken. Also, I've had intermittent bind/quit/bind sequences. The Ember would do this on the programmed Ember setup but would work fine on the Champ setting?? This is what I've discovered. I have narrowed one issue to a bad battery in the mix. It appears to charge but quickly drops voltage and wouldn't power the motor. Change battery and all is well with the others and will repeat if that battery is tried again. Interestingly, when charged and tried, this battery initially runs the motor but quickly starts a power pulse to the brick which affects the LED and motor. Any less charge and not enough juice for the motor. Tossed it. The other funky thing was that the Ember motor running on the 4 and 5 but not on the dx6i?? As it turns out, someone had the Travel Adjustment for the throttle screwed. Readjusted and all seems well. Multiple faults compounded. Live and learn. Slap to the head.
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:20 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Oh, I also forgot to add to that mix of issues that I had the frayed, then broken wire to the motor on the Ember...
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:40 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
I went to the soccer field this evening to try flying the Super Cub now that I've added ailerons and hoping for calm air but wouldn't you know it - they were playing soccer, of all things Oh well, back home where, in the calm but fairly close fog flew three batteries until, in the fog and darkness, all I could see was the red LED's glow under the wing. OK Doug, I know, I know - get lights I'm not sure anyone here uses or thinks of them.
Also, the J-3 motor is really an improvement in that you don't really need to use the juice and you can go-slo BUT it's there when you need to get out of trouble ( as if that ever happens ) or if you just want to gun it for a few seconds for variety. Doug, with all the mods you've done you might try it.
Well, really had a fun time and will now have a look at the T-28 as I think my confidence level is ready for a little more juice and scat.
Oh what fun
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
It's time too take a new pic Doug.
TODD
Yup, no doubt about it. Would you believe, there may not be enough room in the width of the rear deck to get all the Micro's side by side!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc
Also, the J-3 motor is really an improvement in that you don't really need to use the juice and you can go-slo BUT it's there when you need to get out of trouble ( as if that ever happens ) or if you just want to gun it for a few seconds for variety. Doug, with all the mods you've done you might try it.
The J-3 motor upgrade is on the "to do" list. I have some J-3 motors in the spares inventory. I may end up doing the upgrade to Ember 2, #2. In that way, I will have both the Ember 2's runing stock and modified respectively. I need to get Ember 1 back up and running. The brick may have fried, and I think I have an original Ember brick in stock...........some place!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Yup, no doubt about it. Would you believe, there may not be enough room in the width of the rear deck to get all the Micro's side by side!
Nah, - how about a drop-leaf railing. Bigger deck, er, landing strip. TRY!
Quote:
The J-3 motor upgrade is on the "to do" list. I have some J-3 motors in the spares inventory. I may end up doing the upgrade to Ember 2, #2. In that way, I will have both the Ember 2's runing stock and modified respectively. I need to get Ember 1 back up and running. The brick may have fried, and I think I have an original Ember brick in stock...........some place! RD
I'm so impressed I just picked up another J-3 motor ( inventory ) and a couple 160s!
Cheers,
Chris
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:24 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Nah, - how about.... Bigger deck, er, landing strip. TRY!
In the 25 years I have been here, the trees have really encroached upon the flying space. As can be seen in the photo's, my little birds have to get up quickly, to avoid the leaf monsters. May be hard to believe but I do fly my Embers up, out, and over the foliage! This is where the lights really help. The Pico Tiger Moth is the all time high altitude champ, hitting 1528 ft on one flight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc
I'm so impressed I just picked up another J-3 motor ( inventory ) and a couple 160s!
Extra motors? Well, we have a few here in inventory, as well as dozens of 1S Lipos of various makes and "C" ratings.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:28 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
I know about obstacles. This was taken with a wide lens setting so everything is much closer. I'm 30ft from the closest bushes and usually fly in and around the trees. I'm standing on my neighbours lawn for close figure eights and slow flying. The whole right side behind our house in centre is ocean. The other night I lost sight of the Champ behind the central tree and all I could do is pull up until it became visible. Whew
Click to enlarge
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:09 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Recommended glue/method for wing support

It's been very breezy for a few days and although I'm usually the early riser my wife woke me to tell me it was flying weather! She knows I've been chomp in at the bit.:roll eyes: It wasn't dead calm but my skills with light breezes is getting better so out I go. Up and out with the Champ since I figured it can handle more wind. Had a nice two-battery flight and then in for coffee. Hmm, getting calmer. Out with the Ember and such a different and neat fly. Had a great flight up high, nosed into the wind, throttle back ( with the J-3 turbine in reserve ) and just seeing how stopped I can keep her. Doodled around, entertained the neighbours a bit, and back home. With the grass I always hand-launch and catch but on the low approach a small swirl current or ? and it dropped into a wire and caught the wing, breaking, yet again the front wing support just above the fuse. Not knowing what type of plastic it is I've glued it with general purpose CA twice before and, as long as I behave myself, it's held OK.
My question: Should I try a different, stronger glue and what do you recommend or allow this spot to be the weak link 'fuse', so to speak where this is likely to happen again? Are there other ways other than splinting or wrapping+CA?
Chris
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
I bent some music wire to to match the outside of the mount and up into the V. Tied it into place and coated it with JB-weld.(I didn't have epoxy at the time) This added some weight but at the time I had plenty of power and didn't care.

You can also buy this, it's the original Ember fuselage but will still work. Sell the RX and it might even be free.
TODD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ParkZone-PKZ...item5ae78a1e42
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:27 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
My question: Should I try a different, stronger glue and what do you recommend or allow this spot to be the weak link 'fuse', so to speak where this is likely to happen again? Are there other ways other than splinting or wrapping+CA?
I fixed another person's Ember which had suffered the same fracture of the forward wing mount. The plastic "Y" piece had been broken on more than one occassion. I used a large size paper clip, unfolded the clip, trimmed to proper length, formed a V with it, and then tied/spliced it to the forward wing mount, much in the same way as described by I R Irv. I soaked the string, used to tie the "V-splice" to the forward wing mount, with thin CA, then hit it with a little "kicker". Just have to be careful that the thin CA doesn't run down into the brick and/or servo mechanisms. To minimize this possibility, I placed the Ember upside down, on the wing, so any possible migration of the CA would be toward the wing, not the brick. At last account, the Ember is still up and flying well!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:29 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
36 Posts
Ember flying with kites (feathered type)

Flying my Ember with kites in western NSW.

Motor upgrade
Carbon fibre prop

Flying Parkzone Ember 2 with Black Kites and Whistling Kites at Wilcannia (2 min 23 sec)
craig01 is offline Find More Posts by craig01
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig01 View Post
Flying my Ember with kites in western NSW.

Motor upgrade
Carbon fibre prop
Hey Craig, the flying with the birds is a great experience. I'm getting a keychain camera for the Champ for this reason. I don't think the Ember can take the weight . If the motor upgrade is the J-3 I can attest that it transforms the Ember without affecting the charm. It's the motor they should have put in it. What benefit, do you think, the carbon fibre prop is?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:30 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
36 Posts
Hey Chris,

I can't really remember, I changed it over pretty much as soon as I got the Ember2...

Weight obviously and definitely faster!! But my flight times on Nano Tech 160mAh 3.7 are only about 5-6 min, does that sound right? Maybe I need a smaller prop....it won't do a loop from level, you gotta get some dive up....

the SS motor has a larger diameter, so I clipped open the existing plastic holder, inserted the new motor and fastened it with a small zip tie. Holds fast!!

Prolly 50-60 flights....

motor:

http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=625

prop:

http://www.microinvent.com/mambo/ind...d=26&Itemid=45

I also have GWS 5030 plastic props, but haven't tried them...
craig01 is offline Find More Posts by craig01