HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2009, 01:24 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Larry View Post
Doug, tks 4 the pic and idea of where to locate the LL.
...that's what I'll do

and tks 4 the other posts you made - very helpful

A funny thing will happen tomorrow night when I fly at the gym -

...last week when I flew at the gym, (first time with my new Ember)Ace Larry
Just watch out if anyone else shows up with lights on their Ember.. you might end up "controlling" the wrong one and lose track of your own! Doug's been found guilty of trying to fly mine twice at the indoor events so far
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2009, 02:10 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Sir, Step Away from the Masking Tape...

Doug, you are absolutely correct, and I understand that in almost all cases, lighter is better. I'm most curious to learn how much I've added as a % figure. I'm guessing less than 10%. My one short flight did seem to penetrate the breeze better,a benefit of slightly higher wing loading.
But I'm not flying indoor endurance competition, and so far, in my short learning career my batteries usually outlast my comfortable time for one flight.

This was a totally unplanned, whimsical effort to do something, anything, with my models through a spell of yucky weather with what I happened to have on hand. It really started when I spotted those wheels on the wall at my LHS and asked the Ember guy if he thought they were too heavy. He said "Try 'em and let me know." I'm one of those who just cant leave anything stock. Not so much that I think I can outsmart the engineers, but half the fun is in the fiddlin'. If it's OK, here's a picture of my last mc, which came to me as an orange beater that had been outside for years. Just cant leave things alone.This explains the "olthump" moniker.('79 Yamaha SR500 ThumpaThumper)

What I'm finding out so far, is the plane behaves fine, and flies well. I am sure I've lost some ability to absolutely "float", but that's not how I seem to be flying as I learn. Because I've insisted on not following advice by flying in a wide open area, my learning curve is full of collisions with trees. mailboxes, etc. Every time my front wing mount would break at the fuse, and the wing and rear mount would slide forward. I'm just curious if rigidly connecting the mounts would make a difference. All my mods are reversible if need be. Time and nice weather will tell.

To paraphrase from Wind In The Willows...
There is nothing in life so well worth doing as simply messing about with model planes.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Dec 08, 2009, 07:47 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Just watch out if anyone else shows up with lights on their Ember.. you might end up "controlling" the wrong one and lose track of your own! Doug's been found guilty of trying to fly mine twice at the indoor events so far
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!!

OMG It's a Goth Ember!!

Great livery, what did you use for "paint"?

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Dec 08, 2009, 08:15 PM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
The grey is Ford Gunmetal Grey acrylic lacquer straight from the rattle can. Just one that was on the shelf. No signs of reacting to the foam. However, let me stress that I "misted" light, dry coats several minutes apart until I got full coverage. Slow and easy here. Used blue 3m masking tape, the infamous cuticle scissors, and the red is the ol' rliable Sharpy marker.

Gotta laugh at the Goth comment, Doug...
One of my grown daughters (I'm 57) has enough metal and ink in her and on her to build a printing press, and changes hair color almost daily. Sigh.. She'd get a kick outa your comment! I did. Oh, and just to give equal time, the other daughter is graduating Akron U this month with a 3.8 gpa. Go figure.?.

Sorry, back to topic.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 12:11 PM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Ember Weight

Just got back from the UPS store, and found that my Tundra Ember2 weighs 0.9 ounce...figure 24-25 grams. So I've increased the overall weight by 20%-25% from the factory quoted 0.7 ounce-20 grams. So much for my 10% guesstimate.

That's with bigger tires, 130 battery, bracing, and paint. I'm still not able to fly 'cuz of weather. Ya'll might be surprised to find how well this little plane can "tote a load". Tape a quarter under the cog and try it...over grass...No reason other than to see what it does. I'm amazed that this much weight addition affects this craft so little. I've decided to go to one skewer and rubber band instead of two and carbon rods if I ever stumble across some. That should get me down to a 10%-15% increase. I wish we had an indoor flying site down here

Your Mileage May Vary.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 01:09 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,770 Posts
They fly so long on 130mah batterys anyway that a little wieght wouldnt bother me. We fly ours outside 90% of the time and they will handle more wind than I thought.

Yours is definitely unique and I like the look of of it. We almost always end up having a little combat action in the evening with these as we wind up a day of flying helis and airplanes . So far, nothing has broken that a drop or 2 of glue would'nt fix. I dont have anything else that can fly away from intentional or accidental mid air encounters.

I finished my 1/8 scale Wedell-Williams Golden Era Racer last night. Doesnt look like any good weather for a maiden in the next few days..fat fuse, stubby wing planes appeal to me.
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
Last edited by jamesppp; Dec 09, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 03:28 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Embers Flying

I mentioned to my Embers (I do have on-going conversations with them at times! ) that I might consider some flights this evening, around 4:30 - 5:00 PM. That sent them scattering....one hid in a closet, another feigned motor failure, the third blinked it's lights and went "Pffffsssst". Gee, was it something I said??

Then I looked out the window, also pulled up the local wind prognostication. Geez, these Embers have no sense of humor!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2009, 03:58 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,797 Posts
That's really odd because mine bored a hole through the floor to hide, and that's not an easy thing to do in our concrete floor...

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Dec 09, 2009, 06:23 PM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Mine's pissed 'cuz it's gettin' cold out and his tail is nekkid!
Old Dec 09, 2009, 06:58 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post
That's really odd because mine bored a hole through the floor to hide, and that's not an easy thing to do in our concrete floor... Bill
What!! You never heard of airplane cement??

I acquiesced, all three Embers comfy in their hangars........

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:10 AM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Ember Alternatives

I think I've just found the solution to what to do with the remains of my first Ember...
.8oz. listed weight. If I wanna float, this oughta do the trick.

Too cute, huh?

First try at posting a link. Hope it works.
Last edited by olthump; Dec 10, 2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: bad link. operator error
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:13 AM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
OK, the link doesnt work. Check out the "Liddlebug" on Stevens AeroModel.
Maybe a more competent member can post a working link
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:34 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,797 Posts
olthump, your link starts with "http://http://" in post #611. The site automatically adds the "http://" so you only need to start your link with "www".

I posted the corrected link below, but go ahead and take them out of your post anyway.

http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...4-p-19913.html

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:49 PM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Thanks for the help SR.

Greg
Old Dec 10, 2009, 01:30 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
I think I've just found the solution to what to do with the remains of my first Ember...
.8oz. listed weight. If I wanna float, this oughta do the trick.

Too cute, huh?

First try at posting a link. Hope it works.

That is a great use for your extra Spektrum brick.
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp