SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2008, 01:56 PM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
Help!
Need plans and instructions for Phase 6 kit

Hello all.
I just received an old Chris Foss Phase 6 kit in the mail today. I purchased it knowing the plans and instructions were not included.
I am hoping that I can round up a copy of the plans at the very least. I could probably build it from them, but it would be nice to have the instructions too. I know these kits are still in production and I have contacted Sussex Model Centre and they directed me to Chris Foss designs snail mail address. Does anyone know if there is an email address for Chris? If not, I know how to use pen and paper too . I was just trying to save a little time.

Thanks everybody.
Mark
indy cv-62 is offline Find More Posts by indy cv-62
Last edited by indy cv-62; Mar 29, 2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling error
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2008, 02:26 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
I have two sets of Phase 6 plans and instructions--I'd be happy to send one of them to you if you're not in a hurry. I won't be back home until the beginning of May, though. If you are unable to find what you need before then, let me know and I'll hook you up.
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Mar 29, 2008, 03:03 PM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
Thanks for the offer cynjon. That may work out perfectly for me as I don't see myself getting into this build for a while yet anyway.
This is going to be the first plane with a sheeted foam wing that I will build. The sheeting is not in great shape on my wings, it is cracking and starting to delam in spots. Got any ideas on fixing them?
Your Phase 6 on the other thread looks killer! Hope mine turns out that nice.
Last edited by indy cv-62; Mar 29, 2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 05:38 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Thanks for the compliment--I'm happy to help...I've never had to repair a delam on a pre-sheeted wing but there were some ideas thrown around in this thread.

I'll give you a holler once I'm back home--around the first week of May.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 05:49 PM
There's a UK bear named after it!
Joined Nov 2005
21 Posts
Tis a nice flyer, Make sure you beef-up the scarfed fuselage sides and ply plate where the wing is bolted down.
longstick is offline Find More Posts by longstick
Old Mar 29, 2008, 06:17 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Old mod: If it has been supplied with balsa fuselage longerons replace them with stripwood or hardwood.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:23 PM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
Hey guys,
Thank you for all the help and pointers so far. If come up with any others, please post them.

cynjon
I really like the idea that you will likely maiden your Phase 6 pro before mine is built. I am a little concerned about mine being the professional version with the fully symetrical wing. I am not sure if the wind and flying sites in my area are going to cut it for this bird.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:38 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
I'll give you a flight report when I get it in the air...I 'glassed the whole fuse so it should be strong enough, I hope. I picked mine up as a set of two, with one kit having been started and the other untouched. The unstarted kit is a "sportsman" version, or whatever they called the semi-symmetrical version. Hopefully I'll get a "good wind" day the next time I head up to Lake Wilson--I've got two birds to maiden...the Phase 6 and my LEG Guppy.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 07:05 AM
Scunthorpe, United kingdom
Joined Jan 2008
395 Posts
My Phase 6 (not the pro) is now 15 years old and had a lot of hours use and abuse defo reinforceing the scarf joint in the fuz is a must and the ballast box is a very usefull adition in high wind it's a great aircraft to fly !
playaviation is offline Find More Posts by playaviation
Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:14 AM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy cv-62
Hey guys,
Thank you for all the help and pointers so far. If come up with any others, please post them.

cynjon
I really like the idea that you will likely maiden your Phase 6 pro before mine is built. I am a little concerned about mine being the professional version with the fully symetrical wing. I am not sure if the wind and flying sites in my area are going to cut it for this bird.
Consider ordering a set of RG15 or S7012 wings (same planform will ensure no CG shift problems) from your local foam cutter, that way you'll be ready for any conditions . I know the RG15 and S7012 aren't fashionable but few foils get close when it comes to load carrying on marginal days.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:52 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,858 Posts
One of the best things you can do (my Phase 5 which is similar is now many times tentpegged and tested at 20 odd years old) is to glass the inside of the fuselage from noes to wing seat - don't be mean, give it plenty - yer only subbing glass for lead!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Mar 31, 2008, 06:33 AM
Put in all the lead
Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,591 Posts
I second that. I did it on my Phase 6 which I sold on to a friend. I had the unpleasant experience of watching him stick it in vertically one day. The model was a hell of a mess but the front of the fuz didn't even crack.

The other important thing not to miss is to sand the ply fuselage sides before you stick it all together to remove the release agent on the wood. Otherwise your fuz won't hold together all that well!

Steve
n-tropic is offline Find More Posts by n-tropic
Old Apr 02, 2008, 11:50 PM
Joined May 2006
22 Posts
Phase 6 Instructions

Hi I have an unbuilt kit sitting on the pile. I can copy the instrustions for you right away if you like? I also have a set of pro wings in the box as well. i flew the Phase 6 for a while and loved it to death. I aquired a new kit a couple years ago and passed the old one on to a club mate. She is still flying. I have not gotten around to building the new one yet. Might have to cull the herd before she gets built. TOO MANY PLANES!
Let me know. Jim.
isoar99 is offline Find More Posts by isoar99
Old Apr 05, 2008, 01:08 PM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
Thanks!!

Hey everybody.
Thank you for all the great replies. I haven't built a plane like this before so all of your suggestions have been really helpful. cynjon has offered to send me a spare set of plans and instructions he has. He won't be able to get them to me for a little which will give me time to finish up some repairs on other planes that I have been meaning to get to. I also have another build in front of this one so I can wait til he gets them to me. Please post any suggestions you have for building and flying this plane. I have learned to listen to people who have been there before. I must have finally grown up. Apparently I didn't know everything there was to know. My Dad WAS right.
Old Apr 05, 2008, 02:19 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Many of my friends have owned Phase-6's; if I was building one now I would either build it as light as possible or use the sports type wing with an extra couple of inches of span. On a good day the symmetrical wing version was fine but on any other day it could struggle to get set up with enough energy for some aerobatics. It all comes down to the site and conditions you tend fly.