Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:21 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,182 Posts
Help!
Motor reveres on puch out

Help
I know the experts here would have an idea what I am doing wrong.
I am not sure were to look!

I have a new DX6i, in my Trex XL
When I punch the throttle all the way it puts motor in reveres. (Drops like a rock)
And resets after I cut throttle and increase throttle.
If I increase throttle slowly there is no problem.
Only thing I have changed is DX6i and SPMAR6200

Barely used Mega Power 15c 2100
EMAX 30A
300HDX Brushless Outrunner 3800KV w/Motor fan 3.17 model D2627-3800
1 Hitec HS-81
3 Hitec HS-56

Any Ideas
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:39 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
It won't go in reverse, your blades would spin backwards. Check your pitch curves & make sure they are not to big then whack the Throttle curve up to 100% flat or 100-90-100. Maybe 15C just ain't got the power for hard climbs?
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
Sounds like your battery voltage is dropping too much and the ESC is reaching the low-voltage cut-off point and shutting down the motor. Can you check the settings on your ESC.

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
I agree, I can't imagine the motor is reversing direction.

John
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:43 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
Sounds like your battery voltage is dropping too much and the ESC is reaching the low-voltage cut-off point and shutting down the motor. Can you check the settings on your ESC.

John

Would this not mean he'd have to unplug the lipo to reset it again before being able to power up?
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:58 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,182 Posts
Quote:

John
This is what I am thinking too. or esc can't handle it.
rebooting RX

I held it in my hand, hit the throttle hard, blades stop turning because of one way bearing.
The motor is still running, as I move throttle.
If I put to zero throttle and increase it works fine.
I may try turning down pitch and see what happens.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:36 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ddy
Would this not mean he'd have to unplug the lipo to reset it again before being able to power up?
No, it will do exactly what he said. If you move the throttle stick back to off, it will reset the auto cutoff and start the motor again when you increase the throttle. This is a safety feature of most ESCs so your battery pack does not get depleted, but it allows you to start up the motor again and run the throttle low so you can land. I only use this feature on airplanes, never on my helicopters. On my helis, I set the auto cut-off voltage to a very low value so the motor will never shut off in flight. I use a lipo alarm however to indicate when I need to land.

John
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:04 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,182 Posts
Quote:
No, it will do exactly what he said. If you move the throttle stick back to off, it will reset the auto cutoff and start the motor again when you increase the throttle. This is a safety feature of most ESCs so your battery pack does not get depleted, but it allows you to start up the motor again and run the throttle low so you can land. I only use this feature on airplanes, never on my helicopters. On my helis, I set the auto cut-off voltage to a very low value so the motor will never shut off in flight. I use a lipo alarm however to indicate when I need to land.

John
John
What lipo alarm do you have?
at this time I am using the timer on my New DX6i (when I remember to set it).
I have turned down my upper end throttle and pitch. this has stopped it from shutting it down on punch out. Its a pooch now but better than dropping like a rock.
I may set mine to low voltage, it is on high voltage.
haveing lipo hit the ground is not much safer than running it close to low.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:43 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
I am using a BattSignal Lipo low voltage alarm which I don't believe is available anymore. I also use the timer on my TX but the lipo alarm is added insurance.

John
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:49 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack
---I held it in my hand, hit the throttle hard, blades stop turning because of one way bearing.
The motor is still running, as I move throttle.
If I put to zero throttle and increase it works fine.
The fact that you still have fingers indicate a mechanical problem. Like a slipping pinion, or the one way installed upside down or just slipping.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Mar 28, 2008, 09:25 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob
The fact that you still have fingers indicate a mechanical problem. Like a slipping pinion, or the one way installed upside down or just slipping.
I was holding it by the skids, so I could see what it was doing.
NO part of me was in the blades. Yes I Also had saftey glasses on.

P.S. Had 4 more flights no problems, cutting back on thro & pitch curves helped.
I will be readjusting voltage cut off on ESC and will get a BEC.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 07:24 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack
I was holding it by the skids, so I could see what it was doing.
NO part of me was in the blades. Yes I Also had saftey glasses on.

P.S. Had 4 more flights no problems, cutting back on thro & pitch curves helped.
I will be readjusting voltage cut off on ESC and will get a BEC.

Its still really easy to hurt yourself spooling up with skids in your hands. All it really takes is something to be out of balance enough for it to shake loose your grip.
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:38 AM
rwp
rwp
Joined Nov 2003
504 Posts
Quote:
I am using a BattSignal Lipo low voltage alarm which I don't believe is available anymore. I also use the timer on my TX but the lipo alarm is added insurance. John

Appears the BattSignal is available. At least it shows 20 available.
http://rcmodelworks.com/xcart/produc...253&bestseller
rwp is offline Find More Posts by rwp
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:00 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMoore12
Its still really easy to hurt yourself spooling up with skids in your hands. All it really takes is something to be out of balance enough for it to shake loose your grip.
I did say skids, sorry. Actually was holding frame under skids, you can not really have a good grip by skids.
I have a test build stand that works really nice, however having the heli secured will NOT stop parts from flying off when run up.
one must always be ready for the unthinkable by not having anything in the line of the Centrifugal force of the blades. Safety glasses or sunglass should be worn when flying too!
(Tail in) tail blades and main blades are pointing at you.

I had one hand on throttle and a good grip on heli, holding out from me, not in line of blades. I was in control. I would not try this with a bigger bird for sure.
I am actually more nervous the few seconds between plugging in and unplugging the lipo and getting away from it. In these few seconds You donít have a hold of heli or the throttle. One glitch (Another reason I went to the DX6i) or bump the transmitter and you get the chicken dance in your face.

Yes safety first!