HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:26 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
Discussion
Chinese threat and US counter-threat?

I heard a disquieting statement last night from the high-up head of China's Foreign Ministry University, regarding the world's disatisfaction with China's handling of Tibet. This high official -- in a very threatening tone (not like the only half-kidding comment I heard a cute Chinese teenager make to a Western teenager who was teasingly flirting with her on one of my flights: "Yeah, well there' a LOT more of us!") -- said that the world needed to be very careful not to anger China, because what was good for China was good for the world (in so many words) and that "conflict" can be very dangerous and harmful to everyone! The way he said it, his tone and facial expression, and the exact words he chose were unquestionably a serious threat.

For the past few years the Chinese have been upgrading their military to an amazing and alarming degree and extent (including the J-10, a new jet fighter of world-class quality) ....and a LOT of it is aimed at Taiwan. They routinely practice "war game" invasion exercises very close to Taiwan. The Taiwanese have long threatened total independence from China, and China has made it clear that even with US protection of Taiwan, it can and will invade and destroy the Taiwanese infrastructure if need be and take over! The Tawanese, in return, have enough money to buy various weapons, including missiles and aircraft capable of carrying nuclear payloads.

With this in mind, only some hours after the clear threat made by this Chinese official, to let China do whatever it wants (re: Tibet, etc.), the Pentagon announced a terrible mistake it just now uncovered: some nuclear weapon fuses (trigger mechanisms, vital to get fissionavble material to explode as a destructive weapon), was accidentally sent to Taiwan in 2006. The Pentagon says this is VERY serious and wil inventory all its nuclear-related inventory by serial number, etc. No mention of China.

The fuses went to Taiwan, China's closest "enemy" now? Revealed only hours after the Chinese threat? Hmmm....do we hear a bit of sabre-rattling?

I think this is a dangerous game for little boys with big egos to play. Perhaps the world needs to focus less on football, basketball, aggressive video games and other competitive sports as teaching examples and pay more attention to Global Warming, AIDS and the dwindling water and food supplies. Or is a nuclear war easier?

again, hmmmm,
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:05 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee
The Taiwanese have long threatened total independence from China, and China has made it clear that even with US protection of Taiwan, it can and will invade and destroy the Taiwanese infrastructure if need be and take over! The Tawanese, in return, have enough money to buy various weapons, including missiles and aircraft capable of carrying nuclear payloads.

The fuses went to Taiwan, China's closest "enemy" now? Revealed only hours after the Chinese threat? Hmmm....do we hear a bit of sabre-rattling?

I think this is a dangerous game for little boys with big egos to play.
Remind me again which country is threatening to directly invade and take over another sovereign country?
Even in the best attempts by the silly Left, the US didn't "take over" Iraq, and in fact, is trying very hard to get them to "take over" themselves so we can get the heck out.
But China is on an out and out agenda of acquiring more and more territory, similar to the old Soviet Union when they took over Hungary in '55 along with all the rest of the Eastern Bloc countries.

But when the only military power in the world that can "handle" China let's them know that they are on dangerous ground by invading foreign lands for the purpose of conquest, then occupation, then conversion to it's own territory; you think that's "sabre rattling"?

I guess in your world, we should all just let the Chinese take over whatever foreign land they want. Maybe including the US? How about Switzerland?

Well, this IS a dangerous game, but it's one that must be played. There is no other option for we who live in the free world who want to continue to live in a free world. Ask those folk over in Tibet how well this "China" thing is working out.
This planet is on track for it's date with the next World War, and like it or not, America will play the same pivotal role in it just like we did in WWII. Or do you have a problem with how THAT war turned out?

HF
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:32 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
All the Chinese have to do is load the cargo ships with their military, rather than cheap goods and we would guide them to shore. The Trojan horse thingy.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Mar 28, 2008, 09:50 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,789 Posts
You said it TT
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:46 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Remind me again which country is threatening to directly invade and take over another sovereign country?
Even in the best attempts by the silly Left, the US didn't "take over" Iraq...
No, we directly invaded, and then created a quagmire. "Mission was accomplished", but in reality, the war was just starting.

Read http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/bushswar/ for background.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Last edited by Jacques Flambeau; Mar 28, 2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added smilies
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:08 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
No, we directly invaded, and then created a quagmire. "Mission was accomplished", but in reality, the war was just starting.

Read http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/bushswar/ for background.

--Bill
This isn't about "quagmires", but about a country invading another soverign country for the purpose of possessing it forevermore.

Jeez, why don't you and Bush "get a room".
I wasn't aware that this thread had anything to do with Bush.

HF
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:15 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
The west will provide the shovels with which we will bury them. The outsourcing has created much of the crisis we now live. National security is maintaining a manuf. capability. We have allowed traitors to say that outsourcing is good. Those traitors for the most part are repubs. While dems have gone along, they dont think it is GOOD. They are laughing at us. We have no stick. Invade China? Nuke? Stop buying? Forget it. Too late. Treachery in our pols has done us in. I am that manuf. capability. I can tell you first hand that our capability is gone. Unless we protect our markets and steer work to our own, we are hasbeens. Forget any dreams of healthcare, retirements, infrastructure upgrades. We are hostages. In my game, we must compete with the mexicans, chinese and all other third world countries. And to say like Newt that we need to move wage scales to their level to compete is just more treachery. Wake up people, before we are just the bad guys in history books. We are at a crossroads. The investor class doesnt care about this country. They will just retire and move. You and I will suffer.
Gman2 is offline Find More Posts by Gman2
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:21 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
That wouldn't work because of the condition on the crew upon arrival and the fact that they would be localized instantly contained and then destroyed.

Think about it?
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:29 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Conflict with China would be a very, very bad thing. First of all, every store in town would be half-empty, so no more cheap computers, thermostats and tools. Then there's the messy problem of using a bunch of our nukes to get their population down to a reasonable number, a very bad thing. And then there's feeding what's left! Gad, who wants to do that!?!
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:31 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
I believe Gman2 understood the unstated point that China's military power arises from its economic power which has its roots in the likes of Wal-Mart. Don't shop and THEY'LL drop! OK, they have a growing internal economy which will also take their attention away from strategic weapons. What brought down the Soviet Onion was economics (and corrupt waste tied to it)... and economics can do so again. The more the Chinese economy is dead-dinosaur based and the quicker the West can get away from that, the sooner this combative thinking will die off like the dinosaurs still under Chinese soil (most new dinosaur discoveries are there, it seems).

My main point in the first post was, recognizing the primative but very real and serious threat from China, to try to get attention focussed on dealing with that in a more mature and effective manner than the use or threat of military conflict. Remember that Krupps came out winners in WWII, and now is surpassed by Microsoft, etc. Money is power...and there are smarter and stupider ways to get and to use it.
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee