SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:50 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,980 Posts
Discussion
2.4GHz worth an upgrade?

Just wanted to see/hear a few opinions...

General consenses on 2.4GHz?

I've hear a LOT of good things about 2.4g but also a lot of negatives... If I am looking to upgrade from a simple 4ch starter radio should I stick with 72mhz until 2.4g has had a while to prove itself and work out most of the buggs that still are/may be out there?

Thx
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:23 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
What are the negatives you are concerned with? I don't follow all the 2.4 threads, but it is my observation that the positives vastly outnumber the negatives.

In my opinion, there are many advantages over 72 Mhz (and 50 mHz as well).

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:39 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
This article might provide you with more understanding of the strengths/weaknesses of 2.4GHz when compared to 72MHz.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:49 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,980 Posts
while i am fairly new at RC; maybe my concerns are just rantings of others...

I see myself taking this hobby in one or two directions. AP and/or Gliders.

AP concerns; I've read a lot about 'blocked' signals--basically dealing w/line of sight. If a battery pack/esc/motor can cause a 'blacked out' or 'reduced signal strength' area than what will putting a much larger object (i.e. camera) going to do to the signal?

Glider concerns; I've also read about the absorbing qualities of carbon and 2.4g signals. Since a lot of the gliders i am considering would contain a fair amount of carbon (if not full carbon fuse)... Its just another concern I guess

XJet; I'm bookmarkign this page to read at work tomorrow since it's already running late for me.. Thx for the link though... I'll definatly give it a good read through tomorrow!
Old Mar 28, 2008, 04:47 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,036 Posts
I have been using it for over a year - absolutely great, you won't look back.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Mar 28, 2008, 05:25 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,784 Posts
That depends on if you are having problems with 72 MHz.

With my Trex helicopter I started with PCM and had some lockouts.

Get a Spektrum system and that was crap. More crashes due to brownouts and I did not like the transmitter programming.

Traded the Spektrum in for a Futaba 7C-2.4 FASST radio and everything is now working perfectly. I also like the transmitter programming much better.

So for me it was a painful process but in the end I have a radio that I am happy with.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 28, 2008, 09:38 AM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
843 Posts
I've owned a Spektrum DX6 for almost two years and have been so pleased that I've gotten rid of all 72MHz (except the one in a RTF mini chopper) and just recently got the DX6i. I have 4 airplanes and 3 helicopters flying on Spektrum.
hfenn is offline Find More Posts by hfenn
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:17 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Most of the downsides with 2.4 actually can be a problem in 72 MHz. Low voltage effects any electronic device. How many "glitches" with 72 were due to low voltage?

Poor antenna placement can effect 2.4 or 72.

OTOH, 2.4 you don't have to worry about the kid down the street with his one box RTF turning on his radio and crashing your aircraft. That alone was enough for me to switch. No waiting to fly because somebody else is on the same frequency.

I like not having to deal with long antennas on small aircraft. The short Tx antenna is also nice.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:19 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Get a Spektrum system and that was crap. More crashes due to brownouts and I did not like the transmitter programming.

Traded the Spektrum in for a Futaba 7C-2.4 FASST radio and everything is now working perfectly. I also like the transmitter programming much better.

So for me it was a painful process but in the end I have a radio that I am happy with.
Sorry, but IMO, you have to FIX the brownout (low voltage) issues before your heli is safe. No matter what system you use.

Spektrum Rxes are spec'd to work down to 3.5 volts. My testing shows that they work down to about 3 volts. If your power system is dropping to 3 - 3.5 volts, you have serious problems with bad servos, binding linkages, or something else wrong with your heli.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Mar 28, 2008, 09:34 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,917 Posts
My opinion. Buy 2.4Ghz now. There's not point in buying old technology unless you already have a large supply on hand and not enough money to convert. I currently have over a dozen aircraft (planes and helis) flying on 2.4 and I wouldn't go back. The cost to convert was a big expense, but well worth it. If you have 72 Mhz equipment and want to convert, do it now while you can still sell your old stuff, because in a couple years 72Mhz won't be worth anything in the used market.

It's nice not having to worry about getting shot down or having to wait for your frequency to open up at the field.

I'm finding lately that 2.4Ghz is getting blamed for a lot of things that are pilot error and low battery voltage.

BTW: Spektrum is having a reciever giveaway when you buy a new system and on or two extra recievers: http://www.spektrumrc.com/giveaway/

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:25 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
OTOH, 2.4 you don't have to worry about the kid down the street with his one box RTF turning on his radio and crashing your aircraft. That alone was enough for me to switch. No waiting to fly because somebody else is on the same frequency.
This is the main reason I'm looking at 2.4GHz. Another local flyer at the park here has a couple of RTF radios. While I'm on a JR (Positive shift I believe) he felt that his radio on the same channel (Negative shift) was sufficient enough seperation.
I started loosing control immediatly; luckly i was on approach to land and all I did was noze over; however the jitter or ??? caused one of my servos to strip the gears... At least that's my bet as to what happened. The servo (heck the whole radio is less than a yr old!) But I bought cheap, unsure of my commitment to the hobby... Now that i realize how much I enjoy it I think i'd be better suited to a more powerful radio
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:51 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,917 Posts
Depending on the radio, even one or two channel seperation isn't enough. The other flyer should've known better and not have turned on his radio while you were flying (provided he was aware of what channel you were on). Field etiquette dictates that he should pay for any damage to your plane.

That's another good point on 2.4... you don't have to risk shooting down someone elses $2000 giant scale aerobat and have to pay for it.

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:56 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3
What are the negatives you are concerned with? I don't follow all the 2.4 threads, but it is my observation that the positives vastly outnumber the negatives.

In my opinion, there are many advantages over 72 Mhz (and 50 mHz as well).

Bill
Yes... no and maybe...

If 72 mhz is doing what you want...

And you are not seeing any interference issues...

you can keep using the 72 mhz.

Don't buy just to "keep up with the Jonses"...

If you are in the market for a new system ANYWAY... there are good arguments to make that new system 2.4 ghz.

If you find you have interference issues, or the field is crowded and you have a hard time getting your frequency pin... 2.4 is a decent answer.

RE channel separation... Narrow band allows 4 consecutive "channels" to fly at once... We've done it with no issues.

You can't complain about someone turning on a different frequency and interference resulting... unless it has happened before and you found that the other person's radio is defective. (I have had a defective radio BLANKET 30 frequencies! and interfere on all others, confirmed by frequency analyzer... My radio...)

+ vs - shift...some MORON decided it was funny to tell people that you could get away with both (on the same frequency) at once...it even passes a 10 ft range check 90% of the time. It NEVER passes a 100 ft range check...
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Last edited by fhhuber506771; Mar 28, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 01:22 AM
Watch out for that TREE!
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF
This is the main reason I'm looking at 2.4GHz. Another local flyer at the park here has a couple of RTF radios. While I'm on a JR (Positive shift I believe) he felt that his radio on the same channel (Negative shift) was sufficient enough seperation.
I started loosing control immediatly; luckly i was on approach to land and all I did was noze over; however the jitter or ??? caused one of my servos to strip the gears... At least that's my bet as to what happened. The servo (heck the whole radio is less than a yr old!) But I bought cheap, unsure of my commitment to the hobby... Now that i realize how much I enjoy it I think i'd be better suited to a more powerful radio
Exactly why I switched. It only happened one time, but when I drive to the field I want to fly. Not watch.

John
GD5015 is offline Find More Posts by GD5015
Old Mar 29, 2008, 02:09 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
Don't buy just to "keep up with the Jonses"...
Of course not;why make such an inappropriate comment.

Buy the latest proven technology and don't look back.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Last edited by ebill3; Mar 29, 2008 at 02:26 AM.