HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2003, 08:33 PM
Whitewater, KS
Joined Jun 2002
25 Posts
Needing some French Translations-Anyone who speaks french

I am trying to translate a set of plans I have from french to english. The plans are for a Canadair CL-215. I am using Altavista's Babel Fish for the translation but have run into a few snags.

1) "Charge ailaire" Wing Loading?

2) "Autonomie de vol" Flight Time?

3) "volets : limités à 10°" This one has me at a loss. Babel Fish translates "volets" to mean "shutters" What the heck is a shutter on an airplane. I belive it is one of the tail control surfaces, maybe the rudder.

4) "profondeur : +15 -10 mm" Babel Fish translates "profondeur" to mean "depth" what does that mean? Is it the draft of the plane when in water? If so, then why does it give a +/- tolorance?

5) "dérive : +/- 30" This one has me completly stymied. Babel Fish translates "dérive" to "derives" What the heck is/are "derives"?

I am sure I will find more words that I can't translate on the plan. If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

525cj
525cj is offline Find More Posts by 525cj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2003, 08:53 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
1 & 2 are correct.
3 is flaps
4 is elevator
5 is rudder
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Jan 09, 2003, 02:16 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Here's an online glossary of modelling terms in french, with explanations. With the aid of bablefish or some elementary french it should be possible to piece together a translation of most things likely to be on the plan.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/aeropassion/...glossaire2.htm

Good luck!

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jan 09, 2003, 02:54 AM
LYON, FRANCE
Joined Jan 2002
190 Posts
Translation

HI there!

I second the translation by Pierre Audette. Trust him!!!!

Rudolf
RUDOLF is offline Find More Posts by RUDOLF