ahhhh FINALY yup a paratrooper

it should be nnice as long as there will be almost no wind

damian
damian123 is offline Find More Posts by damian123
Old May 04, 2008, 09:09 AM
Joined Mar 2008
493 Posts
what do I win?

You should add some LEDs to it for night drops (ufo sightings!)
CATPart is offline Find More Posts by CATPart
Old May 04, 2008, 09:38 AM
UNREGISTERED USER :)
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATPart
what do I win?

You should add some LEDs to it for night drops (ufo sightings!)

yup you win

As a mather of fact I have 2 High visibility LEDS on it , well as the weight for the whole thing. It needed some weight to go down so I chose two LEDs as a perfect weight. I will drop it in the daylight first thought

damian
damian123 is offline Find More Posts by damian123
Old May 05, 2008, 03:33 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Showing off my new FPV Easystar

Hi,
After seeing Vrflyer and many others about 2 months ago on youtube ive been obsessed with getting into FPV... anyway this morning I test flew my easystar fpv plane with no major dramas.
Did 3 flights in total, 1st was just in normal view and 2nd 2 were with the goggles. 2 perfect fpv landings aswell which was unreal !

Im just having a couple of little problems which hopefully someone can help me with.

1st and most important was the lack of power out of my motor.
Im running a jeti spin 33 esc with an arc 27-37-3 brushless inrunner spinning an apc 6x4e prop.
On the test flight I had the throttle set at 3/4 and threw it ... it pretty much stalled and I managed to keep it off the ground, done a couple circuits and then landed.... it was running full throttle anytime I wanted to gain speed as any other throttle setting was pretty useless.
I dont think ive made the wrong choice for my motor but perhaps theres something else affecting it.
Im thinking that maybe the prop is not correct or maybe the engine is getting too warm as it got pretty hot, hot enough for the glue to start to melt and the motor pushed into the fuse about 3mm. (picture attached)

Secondly I noticed that the esc would cut the motor out for a second or 2 ?? that was a little weird, maybe the motor getting too hot ?

I did a range check on the plane and noticed that it was a little crappy, been years since I done a proper range check but the antenna is running inside the back of the fuse and out the back about 40cm. I walked away a little and it started going crazy (plane was lying on the grass), when my friend picked it up it was ok tho... just a little worried about the radio range as I plan on taking the plane out to 1.5 km once I iron out my little problems.

I also had a lead sinker taped about 2 inches from the back of the fuse at the bottom to get the CG correct, could this have effected the radio link maybe ?

Pan servo (hs-81) was a little twitchy when I started to get high, might put a ferrite ring around it as close to the servo as possible cause the it has a little 3inch extension on it to reach the RX at the back of the fuse.

Anyway Ive attached some pics so let me know what you think ! any criticisms are welcome !

Max
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Last edited by chancesAU; May 05, 2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old May 05, 2008, 03:58 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
Nice plane! Okay, first off I noticed that your prop is on backwards. That's an APC, right? The molded-in letters on the prop should face forward (the ones that say "6x4 and APC"). This could lead to the lack of power.

It is also possible that your motor/esc combo is not up to the task. I am not familiar with the equipment that you used, but you need to make sure that while using that 6x4 prop that the motor is not drawing more amps than the battery, motor, and esc are designed for. This would be the most likely reason that the motor got hot enough to melt the glue...which is another point: What type of glue are we referring to? I wouldn't try to use hot-glue in an application like this. Of course, running at full throttle for a very long time (the whole flight) would make the motor hot as well.

You'll need to know what the max amp rating is for the motor, as well as the safe continuous amperage that it can sustain. You also need to know this information for the flight pack. Using this information, you can prop the motor to operate within safe amperage limits while still providing enough power for flight. My guess is that you are exceeding the amperage limits of either the esc or the motor, and this is why the esc is cutting out. Using a program like motocalc or e-calc can help you pick motor/battery/prop combinations that will give you a great starting point for a power system.

Last, you should install the ferrite rings as close as possible to the Receiver, not the servo. You want to eliminate RF as close as possible to the RX.

Good luck, and I hope that you can get things sorted out!

capn

P.S. As far as the CG is concerned... don't try to balance the plane according to the instructions. When I did this, using a great planes balancer, I had a plane that flew fairly horribly. I moved my cg to about 5mm rearward of the leading edge of the wing spar's cap (the one that you glue in). It was a change of about 10mm from where I had it, and my plane now flies MUCH better. Sorry, I don't know for sure what the measurement is from the wing's LE.
capn is online now Find More Posts by capn
Last edited by capn; May 05, 2008 at 04:12 AM.
Old May 05, 2008, 04:16 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn
Nice plane! Okay, first off I noticed that your prop is on backwards. That's an APC, right? The molded-in letters on the prop should face forward (the ones that say "6x4 and APC"). This could lead to the lack of power.

It is also possible that your motor/esc combo is not up to the task. I am not familiar with the equipment that you used, but you need to make sure that while using that 6x4 prop that the motor is not drawing more amps than the battery, motor, and esc are designed for. This would be the most likely reason that the motor got hot enough to melt the glue...which is another point: What type of glue are we referring to? I wouldn't try to use hot-glue in an application like this. Of course, running at full throttle for a very long time (the whole flight) would make the motor hot as well.

You'll need to know what the max amp rating is for the motor, as well as the safe continuous amperage that it can sustain. You also need to know this information for the flight pack. Using this information, you can prop the motor to operate within safe amperage limits while still providing enough power for flight. My guess is that you are exceeding the amperage limits of either the esc or the motor, and this is why the esc is cutting out. Using a program like motocalc or e-calc can help you pick motor/battery/prop combinations that will give you a great starting point for a power system.

Last, you should install the ferrite rings as close as possible to the Receiver, not the servo. You want to eliminate RF as close as possible to the RX.

Good luck, and I hope that you can get things sorted out!

capn

P.S. As far as the CG is concerned... don't try to balance the plane according to the instructions. When I did this, using a great planes balancer, I had a plane that flew fairly horribly. I moved my cg to about 5mm rearward of the leading edge of the wing spar's cap (the one that you glue in). It was a change of about 10mm from where I had it, but my plane now flies MUCH better. Sorry, I don't know for sure what the measurement is from the wing's LE.

Thanks for your reply, ill chuck on the prop the other way around and give it another go... Ive dug up the prop stats for my motor ... not sure what all of it means but im assuming my 33amp esc will run 31.40 amps ok. Do the rest of the specs seem ok as far as thrust and that go ?
Old May 05, 2008, 04:51 AM
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
I've never seen a spec sheet like that one before. Did it come with the motor? If they're spec'ing out a 6x4, I'm guessing that you can use it without a problem. At 33 amps for the esc you won't have much headroom, but with the prop turned around, you won't have to run it at full throttle for the whole flight. In any case, it looks like that 31.40 amp rating was when the battery was still at 12.3V. It won't be at that voltage for very long anyway. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you *should* be okay.

How heavy is your EZ*? Do you know how to figure the power requirements based on weight? Usually, I like to plan for no less than 75 watts per pound for good basic flight. If you can achieve 100 watts/lb, you're all set. It looks to me that you will most likely be over that mark with over 300 watts (full throttle) using the 6x4 prop. This will give you spirited performance. I do have a question though...you're not using a 6000mah battery, are you? That would be a pretty big battery, and would significantly add to your plane's weight. What battery are you running? I'm guessing a 3 cell in the 2000mah range?

capn
Old May 05, 2008, 06:00 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn
I've never seen a spec sheet like that one before. Did it come with the motor? If they're spec'ing out a 6x4, I'm guessing that you can use it without a problem. At 33 amps for the esc you won't have much headroom, but with the prop turned around, you won't have to run it at full throttle for the whole flight. In any case, it looks like that 31.40 amp rating was when the battery was still at 12.3V. It won't be at that voltage for very long anyway. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you *should* be okay.

How heavy is your EZ*? Do you know how to figure the power requirements based on weight? Usually, I like to plan for no less than 75 watts per pound for good basic flight. If you can achieve 100 watts/lb, you're all set. It looks to me that you will most likely be over that mark with over 300 watts (full throttle) using the 6x4 prop. This will give you spirited performance. I do have a question though...you're not using a 6000mah battery, are you? That would be a pretty big battery, and would significantly add to your plane's weight. What battery are you running? I'm guessing a 3 cell in the 2000mah range?

capn

That spec sheet is off their website - lightflightrc.com

Running 2 batteries about 2 inches back from the nose, 1 x 2100mah for esc (which I just put 2200mah back into it on its 1st charge after the flight... oops) and 1 x 1000mah for video and camera.

I think ill need to weigh the plane but I dont think it would be over 800grams... it seems heavy tho I think.
Old May 05, 2008, 06:28 AM
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
If you find that you still have a problem with the esc cutting out after you fix the prop (which I don't think you will), you could always prop it down to the other one listed on the spec sheet (5.7 x 3). If your plane weighs 800g, then you'll still have LOTS of thrust with that prop (better than 1:1, actually). One tool that is very valuable is a wattmeter. You can use one of those to find out exactly how many amps you're pulling at WOT with your setup. That spec sheet is just a guideline and your results may be different.

capn
Old May 05, 2008, 07:33 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Sweet thanks for ur help, thats now both my planes where ive had my prop on backwards and wondered why they were crappy lol

Ill test fly it tomorrow afternoon and see how it goes, maybe just try and get the glue warm too and pull the motor out a bit if I can :|
Old May 05, 2008, 07:41 AM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Old May 05, 2008, 02:55 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU
Sweet thanks for ur help, thats now both my planes where ive had my prop on backwards and wondered why they were crappy lol

Ill test fly it tomorrow afternoon and see how it goes, maybe just try and get the glue warm too and pull the motor out a bit if I can :|
Heh. I hate to admit it, but when I first got my EasyStar I ran with a backwards prop for about a week before I finally figured it out. The whole time I was wondering why I had such crappy power. Once I realized what I had done and flipped it around the difference was like night and day.
FPV Bill is offline Find More Posts by FPV Bill
Old May 05, 2008, 04:06 PM
musicians can fly?
Seattle, WA
Joined Nov 2007
154 Posts
Chances,

I just put the ARC 28-37-2.5 in a buddies EZstar that we maidened for him yesterday. No FPV gear on his, and its 2800kv vs your 2500kv, but it would climb out pretty much unlimited, and basically verticle. It was like a surface to air missile. I was pretty impressed. So, with the prop on the right way, I guarantee you'll notice a difference.

-R
wyldryce is offline Find More Posts by wyldryce
Old May 05, 2008, 05:00 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Hehe ... when I got home last night I swapped it over and powered it up... WOW it wants to fly off the end of my bed at 1/2 throttle Hopefully ill finish work early today ... wanna call in sick lol
Closed Thread