SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
Just curious, but why did you place the ailerons inboard? They would be more effective farther out towards the wing tips.
They are effective enough to keep the plane level and to bank it. I wasn't looking for aerobatic ability so much as just being able to keep the plane level and do gentle banks.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2008, 02:15 PM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,081 Posts
It's also easier to use the ailerons as flaperons and still keep the plane stable, when you keep the flaps small and close to the main body.
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Old Apr 19, 2008, 02:24 PM
Europe/Germany
Joined Apr 2008
125 Posts
Uhm .. I'm new here and if I'm in the wrong thread, please show me the right one.

Technically my "plane" is not a plane .. more an aircraft (heli/quadro), but I use it to fly FPV.

It's mainly X3D based with a little bit Mikrokopter (Frame) as you can see on the pictures.

The copter has a
  • X-3D and X-Base with X-ACT
  • 4 * X-BLDC
  • 4 * X-BL 52s
  • MTV-54C2AP Cam with 95 objective or 65
  • Kokam 910 mAh battery
  • cheap 2.4 GHz video TX
  • aluminium frame with CenterPlate

For video recording I use also a FlyCamOne 2. So the typical weight for video recording (inl. FCO2) is 480 g.

Videos with that configuration can be found here

The video TX/RX is poor and so the max distance is about 100 m. The copter is also little bit to heavy so the normal flight time with 910 mAh is between 3 to max 5 minutes.
Ygramul is offline Find More Posts by Ygramul
Old Apr 19, 2008, 08:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
It's also easier to use the ailerons as flaperons and still keep the plane stable, when you keep the flaps small and close to the main body.
That's true but so far on mine I'm just using ailerons. I may put a flaperon capable radio on it in the future but it's light enough that it will fly pretty slowly.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Old Apr 20, 2008, 09:38 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
Carbon fiber Twinstar

I was inspired by Twinturbostang and his video Is it real to make this Twinstar a reality. Early on I decided that I wanted to improve several areas of the TS II. I wanted to keep it light, but strong, go brushless and put a lot of technology on board. I built a Twinstar before, and it only took a couple of hours. With this model it took me over a month, and even longer to prefect the layout.
I knew I needed more room, so I routed out the forward cockpit foam by a on each side. Then reinforced the areas with CF tubing. I also cleared out the aft partition to the exhaust port aft of the wings. This gave me a plenty of room to stuff all my equipment. I spent more time thinking and planning all the options to make it a cut above the stock setup. Here is what I chose to equip my Twinstar;

2 Little Screamer Park jet BL motors
2 Thunderbird 18 ESC
FMA Co-Pilot and 8ch receiver.
Dragon OSD
4 Hitec HS-45 Premium Feather Servos
1 modified 180 degree servo

I took my time laying out the wiring, made the majority of the servo leads to match the space and length I needed, thus cutting down on weight and clutter. One of the projects I wanted to do is to make a carbon fiber canopy. I cast a mold of the foam canopy in plaster of Paris, and then did a carbon fiber layup on the mold; vacuum bagged and baked the new canopy. It was then cut and fit to the fuselage. Having the shell, allowed a tremendous amount of room for the gear and mounting of the camera gear. I also made a dome to project the co-pilot sensor up and provide a place to put the camera battery.

As of today I have all the adjustment set, and Im ready to maiden it once the weather subsides. Also purchased a used Cap 9 Futaba transmitter and a pair of Fat Shark goggles. Man this hobby has a way of spending your cash. Anyway, enjoy the pictures, Im pretty proud of her. Thanks again Brian aka Twinturbostang!
rvski is online now Find More Posts by rvski
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:19 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Aww shucks. Thanks dude.

Looks great! Good idea making that carbon fiber canopy. Gives you a lot more room to put "stuff".

I just finished going back through my Twinstar. Moved just about everything around to make room for my DragonOSD. I saw a great idea by oxyfx to cut open the top of the fuselage just behind the wing. There's a huge cavity down in there, where there are no foam supports. Leaves a lot of room to stuff more things. I ended up putting my receiver back there to try and get it away from all the "noisy" things. I also put the video transmitter on the top of the vertical stabilizer. It's REALLY far away from everything now. I'll have some pictures up in a day or so. Haven't flown with it yet in this configuration (although I do have one flight w/ the Dragon so far), but I'm hoping it will reduce a lot of interference and let me fly farther distances with everything moved around.

BTW, watch the angle of that co-pilot sensor. At it's current angle, it's liable to drive your plane into the dirt!
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:37 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
That is one of the NICEST Twinstar I have ever seen with a very well thought out layout! Just look at all the room you have efficiently saved with your design! Lots of CF there!!! Very cool!

Just one question.. I've never tried this but does anyone know if the video TX- brass SMA connector touches carbon fiber (by accident), will that cause any problems?
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:32 AM
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
Thanks guys, it was fun to make this model. Wow Brian, I didn't know that sensor was angled and it could cause a problem. I'll look at that and get it leveled. Yeah, I cut out that area in the back and that's where my Dragon lives. Putting the transmitter on the tail is a great idea, let me know how it works. JMS, thanks for the compliment. Yeah I know about the conductivity of the carbon fiber, and good point made. You can't see it but the hole for the antenna is quite large and doesn't touch the antenna. I'm not 100% satisfied with the canopy install and might make a latch to lock on the hatch.

All in all, once the fields dry out where I fly, I'll get her maidened

Dave
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:59 AM
Chevy Chase, MD
Joined May 2006
134 Posts
Sig Kadet Senior FPV Airship

Hey guys.

I've finished modifying my FPV Sig Kadet plane. I love this plane for FPV because it has such light wing loading and is a simple joy to fly. I originally used the plane using a nitro engine, but got tired of the vibration and the mess. So I converted it to electric using an inexpensive kv-270 motor from hobbycity.com and powered it using two 14.8 4000mah batteries wired in series. It gives me about an 8-10 minute flight time. I really like this plane for FPV because I really enjoy scale rolling takeoffs and landing. This plane fits the bill perfectly--very scale.

I installed an Inspire OSD internally in conjunction with an externally mounted Garmin Etrex Legend GPS. It also gives me rpms using a magnetic sensor and four magnets embedded in each blade of the propeller. It gives me info like amps consumed, motor battery volts, receiver battery volts, video battery volts, direction and distance to a marked waypoint, altitude, heading, land speed. I'm rather pleased with it except for it's size and weight--especially the Garmin--but this plane can handle that fairly easily.

I was inspired by Anthony RC's boom mounted camera allowing a better vantage above the prop. I added a pandora pan/tilt on top of the boom. The carbon fiber boom is removable by pulling an allen wrench out of a hole drilled through a copper mounting sheath and the boom. It works very well and allows easier transport and storage. I know most on this forum prefer pushers because of the propeller's effect on the video. This is a good alternative to that. It really doesn't add much drag and offers an excellent view. Pull props are really more efficient and it's certainly easier to find stock pull prop planes than pushers or the hassle of twins.

I mounted the transmitter far aft to avoid radio and electric motor interference. I mounted a separate video battery hatch just forward of the transmitter. I rigged in a high amperage on/off switch to make it easy to turn the video system on/off out side the plane without having to struggle plugging and unplugging the battery Deans connectors inside the plane.

Overall, the plane is much better from the renovation. It flies well. It's easy to set up because most of the electric connections are permanent inside the plane. The motor and video system circuits can be turned on with high power switches outside the plane. The osd joystick is also mounted outside the plane for convenience.

I just want to thank everyone who posted their planes on this site--The information was invaluable and much appreciated. That's why I'm going into a lot of detail here to help others who might want this type of scale fpv experience. I've also recently finished an fpv cularis sailplane which I'll describe here soon.

Below find numerous pictures of the plane.

-Peter
pshimm is offline Find More Posts by pshimm
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:14 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvski
Wow Brian, I didn't know that sensor was angled and it could cause a problem. I'll look at that and get it leveled.
You might want to also run a velcro strap over the sensor, avoiding the sensor windows of course. Pull that tight and it will hold the sensor real good. The way it sits right now, it looks like it might wobble around slightly. And believe me, it could be enough to really affect how it stabilizes the airplane. I had an adjustable mount on mine, and I bumped it by accident before one flight. During the flight I turned on the co-pilot, and it too about a 30 degree dive at the ground! Gota make sure that thing doesn't move!!

BTW, finding the exact pitch alignment of the sensor takes some trial and error (mostly error.. lol). You will find when the co-pilot is activated, that the plane will tend to pitch up slightly and gain altitude, or pitch down slightly and loose altitude. It has to do with many factors, including the angle of attack of the wing during normal cruise (and the sensor angle relative to this), throttle position, CG location, and any objects partially blocking the sensors "view". You should be able to get it dialed in without too much trouble though.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
I had no idea! Even though the velco holds it stready, I'll look into an other method. Would you say that having it projected up above the aircraft is a good idea? I've seen people mount it to the wing and or on the tail section. I just assumed that a clear view above the aircraft would be the way to go. Could of maidened it today but I have a wife recovering from surgery and need to hang around the house for her beckon call
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:38 PM
Chevy Chase, MD
Joined May 2006
134 Posts
RVSKI,
Beautiful Job--hope she flies well. Where are the servos for the rudder and elevator? I can't make them out in the pictures where they usually are in the Twinstar.
-Peter
pshimm is offline Find More Posts by pshimm
Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:58 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvski
I had no idea! Even though the velco holds it stready, I'll look into an other method. Would you say that having it projected up above the aircraft is a good idea? I've seen people mount it to the wing and or on the tail section. I just assumed that a clear view above the aircraft would be the way to go.
Well, grab the sensor and see if you can wiggle it at all. If you can't move it, then it should be ok. But if you can rock the sensor back and forth, you might want to strap it down.

Elevating it some is probably a good thing. Each sensor has to have a clear view of the horizon. I do not know how much view can be obstructed before you run into troubles. I had mine mounted behind the wing, elevated an inch or two, and that worked fine for me. I've now got it right over the CG mark and directly attached to the wing instead of on my elevated mount (trying to shed some weight off this pig!). But I really don't know if it's going to work good there or not. So it may be back to the drawing board if not.

BTW, hope your wife feels better.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 06:05 PM
FRANCE
Joined Feb 2008
18 Posts
Hello,
thanks for this thread it's a big inspiration for me as a newcomer.
I live in france where we have a great community, very helpfull, so I decided few month ago to try fpv.
I bought a polyclub for my first flight, made from epp block and usually an indoor plane, it was not my fpv platform but after I broke my new easytar, I tryed to put all my stuff on the polyclub.
Does it fly ?
Yes ! The result is really great, it's a light platform, under 350gr, easy to control, glides very well. There is only one lipo for all, 2S 1A, 25mn flying time at 1/3 throttle.

KX 131
Rx /Tx 100mw New Generation Hobby 3dBi antenna
Rvision googles
24gr brushlessmotor
5gr servos
2S 1A lipo
rbsense is offline Find More Posts by rbsense
Last edited by rbsense; Apr 22, 2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:06 PM
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshimm
RVSKI,
Beautiful Job--hope she flies well. Where are the servos for the rudder and elevator? I can't make them out in the pictures where they usually are in the Twinstar.
-Peter
What I did was moved the servos to the new aft compartment in the tail. As I cut away parts of the plane to open up the interior, I saved the big chunks to block in a servo for mounting. If you know the Twinstar, the aft exhaust area (aft of the wing) was opened to accomidate the Dragon, but plenty of room to have the servos in there. I chose the HS-45 Hitek servo with the Karbonite gears, their light and strong and hopely won't strip out in hardover situations.

Twinturbo, I'm going to make that sensor my priority. I'll put it to my R&D team for a design upgrade. (That me and a couple of beers, and an hour of hard staring at it)
Closed Thread