HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:32 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Gallery
Show us your plane! (Part 2)

After almost a year of successful flights (many FPV) with the old one, I decided to finally break out the NIB Wild Hawk and put it together. Successful maiden this morning. Flies great with no bad habits. Here are a few pics with some of the mods:
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:35 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,269 Posts
The other thread was getting kinda long (600 something posts). Splitting this thread out and starting a part 2! Please feel free to posts your planes
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Apr 02, 2008, 10:09 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
Even though I'm in the middle of my "finishing the basement" project, I've been getting the itch to do some flying. I managed to get my FPV EasyStar put together and ready to maiden when time/weather allow.

EasyStar
Brushless Motor
CastleCreations 36A ESC
Ailerons added
EZPod
KX131
Rangevideo 500mW 900MHz video TX
Spektrum AR7000 inside fuselage.

I can get it to balance with or without the camera by moving my 3s 2200mAh pack forward or backward.

Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 02, 2008, 11:34 AM
Joined Jan 2005
132 Posts
Dragon OSD in a Easy Glider

Here are a few pics of a dragon stuffed into a easyglider. It was no small feat to get the dragon, co-pilot, vreg, BEC, and the current sensor to all fit in the EGE's cramped quarters. It all worked out and i just need to wait for better weather to get back in the air.

The 3s2100 TP battery is installed in the canopy if you are wondering. I had to route out more foam to allow more room for the dragon and all of the wiring. The canopy still fits great and my pin style canopy latch still functions the same.

http://picasaweb.google.com/wilkytim...84096146091346

http://picasaweb.google.com/wilkytim...84113325960562

http://picasaweb.google.com/wilkytim...84121915895170

http://picasaweb.google.com/wilkytim...84130505829778
wilkyz is offline Find More Posts by wilkyz
Old Apr 02, 2008, 07:49 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Tim... let me know what you think of reusing the foam for ailerons. I tried that on my first EZ* and it was far too flimsy and worked horrible for me. I noticed some used balsa instead.

Wilkyz.... I've seen that set up of yours before and nicely thought out for dealing with such little space!!! That was the one concern of mine for hesitaing to buy the EZG.. simply because of fuse space but I might have to rethink this now since she does have great reviews as a competent flyer.
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 02, 2008, 08:02 PM
Joined Mar 2008
493 Posts
The canopy on the EZG is pretty big and it is a solid chunk of foam. I plan on hollowing it out considerably and reinforcing it from the inside a bit. I think you can gain a lot of extra space up front like that.
CATPart is offline Find More Posts by CATPart
Old Apr 02, 2008, 10:06 PM
Joined Jan 2005
132 Posts
Jmstech,

I have noticed that the ailerons flex quite a bit. It has not presented any problems so far. I might try making some balsa ailerons in the future.

If I had to build another EGE i would wait out the pro version and put the rudder and aileron servos in the tail. That would free up a bunch of room for electronics.

thanks for the compliments. I tried to make it neat. If there were any more wires i would have had to install a cable tray!

The EGE is awesome to fly. Landings take a little getting used at first. I can't wait to grab a few thermals now that i have an OSD and i can manage my remaining pack capacity

Keep the videos coming. That's the kind of stuff that keeps us motivated when it raining, windy and cold.
Last edited by wilkyz; Apr 02, 2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2008, 10:45 PM
Joined Jan 2005
132 Posts
A few more pics

I thought i might take a few more pics of the canopy latch for those of you thinking about putting a battery in there.

It make battery swaps really easy and it is very strong.

here is the release tab. It spring loaded

Here is the business end. it goes into the carbon spine that runs the length of the fuse

Here is a shot of the carbon spine

the battery cutout. mine is a little deeper now to clear the wires and dragon right below the battery

one last shot of the latch release

Here is a new project in the works. It's a 48 inch unicorn wing. I always wanted to try one of these. They are supposed to be great in the wind

kx191 tilt only. I decided to try a pov that allows me to see above and below the wing.

profile of the wing

Old Apr 03, 2008, 07:36 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH
Tim... let me know what you think of reusing the foam for ailerons. I tried that on my first EZ* and it was far too flimsy and worked horrible for me. I noticed some used balsa instead.
John,

I managed to sneak in a maiden flight yesterday without the camera pod. Here's what I found from the one single flight I had, and since you have an EZ* maybe you can give me some tips from your experience...

I certainly have no shortage of power with the motor/prop combo. I think this thing could go faster than my F-27C Stryker!

When I launched, I was right around 1/2 throttle. I tossed it with the nose up just slighly and it easily was on its way. Immediately I noticed that it had a STRONG tendency to nose up. I wound up trimming my elevator as far down as I could. Now here's the strange behavior that I can't totally figure out:

No throttle: glided straight ahead with no tendency to nose up or down. Actually acted like it cold glide forever.

Half throttle: Wanted to nose up. I was constantlly pushing down on the elevator.

Full throttle: Friggin fast! It seems to lose most of its nose-up tendency with full throttle applied. Realize, though, that the elevator was trimmed as far down as it could go.

I'm thinking that the CG may have been too far back. I have to cram the battery all the way up front to get the CG to the recommended location when I don't have the camera pod attached. Maybe my thrust line is off a little. I should be set at the same angle as the stock motor, but my motor is just a tad higher so maybe I need a little more down thrust. Actually, when I think about it, down thrust behind the CG could cause it to nose up even more. I guess I'll work the CG first.

Ailerons: They seemed fine at cruising or fast speeds, although not as effective as other planes I have. At slow speeds they were completely innefective. I have to remember that this isn't a "performance" plane... I'll increase the throw for the next flight.

I was going to fly it with the video pod to test it out, but I managed to break one of the plastic clips that hold the canopy/EZpod on. I should have heeded the warnings on how weak they are. I just caught it with a servo wire and it was broken before I even realized I was snagged.

So...I'll fool around a bit with the CG and the throws and hopefully be able to get in a better flight some time in the next week...or two...or three. Darned kids, work, wife, and house projects (not in any particular order!).
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 03, 2008, 10:04 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pibb
John,

I managed to sneak in a maiden flight yesterday without the camera pod. Here's what I found from the one single flight I had, and since you have an EZ* maybe you can give me some tips from your experience...

I certainly have no shortage of power with the motor/prop combo. I think this thing could go faster than my F-27C Stryker!

When I launched, I was right around 1/2 throttle. I tossed it with the nose up just slighly and it easily was on its way. Immediately I noticed that it had a STRONG tendency to nose up. I wound up trimming my elevator as far down as I could. Now here's the strange behavior that I can't totally figure out:

No throttle: glided straight ahead with no tendency to nose up or down. Actually acted like it cold glide forever.

Half throttle: Wanted to nose up. I was constantlly pushing down on the elevator.

Full throttle: Friggin fast! It seems to lose most of its nose-up tendency with full throttle applied. Realize, though, that the elevator was trimmed as far down as it could go.

I'm thinking that the CG may have been too far back. I have to cram the battery all the way up front to get the CG to the recommended location when I don't have the camera pod attached. Maybe my thrust line is off a little. I should be set at the same angle as the stock motor, but my motor is just a tad higher so maybe I need a little more down thrust. Actually, when I think about it, down thrust behind the CG could cause it to nose up even more. I guess I'll work the CG first.

Ailerons: They seemed fine at cruising or fast speeds, although not as effective as other planes I have. At slow speeds they were completely innefective. I have to remember that this isn't a "performance" plane... I'll increase the throw for the next flight.

I was going to fly it with the video pod to test it out, but I managed to break one of the plastic clips that hold the canopy/EZpod on. I should have heeded the warnings on how weak they are. I just caught it with a servo wire and it was broken before I even realized I was snagged.

So...I'll fool around a bit with the CG and the throws and hopefully be able to get in a better flight some time in the next week...or two...or three. Darned kids, work, wife, and house projects (not in any particular order!).
Yes nosing up is totally normal when you hit the throttle which is noticeable on my video. The default flight line should be slightly up wards from center of fuse Tim. Like you said when you start to glide with no throttle she glides straight, steady and forever... so you did nothing wrong here! It just gets some used to but hey... scrt sqrl gets about an hour on one 2cell lipo when flying his EZ* so she's very efficient. My old Twinstar, I'm lucky to get 20 minutes! Enjoy your new plane!!! You'll have more than enough fly time with it on one flight!
Old Apr 04, 2008, 01:56 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pibb

I had very similar behavior one day when I flew with a battery pack that was lighter than all of my others and I didn't realize it. It pushed my CG back and made for some very interesting flying. As you described, the EasyStar had a strong nose up tendency, especially under power, and led to a lot of "porpoise-like" flying. Landing was a nightmare.

Like you, without my camera pod attached, I found out that I have to push my battery all of the way to the front AND I have to use my heaviest 2200mAh battery to get it to balance right. With my camera pod installed, I then have to use my lightest battery and push it almost all of the way rearward.

Anyway, once I corrected my CG, the EasyStar returned to it's normal well behaved self so definitely play with your CG first before you start changing thrust lines.
FPV Bill is offline Find More Posts by FPV Bill
Old Apr 08, 2008, 09:52 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Here's mine. Your basic easy star with bp 21 and apc 7x5 prop. Rangevideo 1000mw tx and 410 line CCD bullet camera on pan servo. The gear are removable and it also has ailerons. The plane is powered by a 2200 ma 3s lipo and the camera and tx are powered by a 1300 ma 3s.
I've only managed to fly it three times since I built it in January but it flies very well and has more than enough power and duration. I'm waiting for good weather and better scenery before I really wring it out and see what it'll do.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:07 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Just curious, but why did you place the ailerons inboard? They would be more effective farther out towards the wing tips.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Apr 08, 2008, 11:36 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,620 Posts
my thoughts exactly, or at least have them stretched out further. Still very-very-very nice job!
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:01 PM
Hmm, could this work?
Holland, MI
Joined Nov 2006
181 Posts
I just saw a plane called the Beaver in the store today. I think it would be great for video flying if you like to be able to carry a lot of equipment in the plane and have space to work in. If I didn't already have the SIG Rascal 40, I would use this. I also fly the Easystar and others but I'm talking about for equipment toting. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Product...?ProdID=EFL4525
JackBauer is offline Find More Posts by JackBauer
Closed Thread