Old Aug 01, 2008, 07:29 PM
www.AProHobbies.com
USA, TX
Joined Feb 2005
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
You can get a balance adapter board and lead for the 106B from www.eheli.com.au
Is there any other place in the USA I can get it from? that site is in AU which cost quite a bit shipping to the USA, then I might just stick with charger 1 pack at a time.
ptt81 is offline Find More Posts by ptt81
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2008, 10:39 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
If all you want is the 11-to-7 adapter lead Robert (eheli) can probably drop it in an envelope, shipping will be cheaper than shown on the website which like all sites is based on certain minimum weights/sizes. Just send him an email and ask. Robert had those cables custom made as he wanted to offer a full-service solution to his customers and Junsi have no off-the-shelf solution for balance adapters for the 106B.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Aug 02, 2008, 12:07 AM
Central Florida. USA
Joined Mar 2008
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsofaman
I thought I was aggressive @ 4.5 amps!!! OK...I am good! You guys are the best....thanks for sharing the info.

Dave
I set my 106B to charge A123's at 10A to 3.75V. I do in-plane FAST charges without the balance plugs at the field and a normal balance charge once a week or so. Its a fantastic little charger.

MadMax
MadMax389 is offline Find More Posts by MadMax389
Old Aug 02, 2008, 12:18 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Thanks Mad Max.....I am starting to enjoy this little charger now.

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Aug 02, 2008, 02:25 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKC
You can use the 1010B balancer board lead, just trim down the plug to fit the 6S side (make sure you trim the correct side)
or order this adaptor plug.. that will allow you to use the 1010B balance board with your 106B, although limited to 6S. so 3x2S or 2x3S.

Luke
Ah yes thats an idea...thank you LKC
I presume it will be the "left hand side" of the plug at the charger end of the ribbon cable which will be removed? Or alternatively the adaptor cable sounds like a neater solution assuming postage to UK is reasonable - plus I could then use a seperate dedicated 1010B balance board with my 106B and keep the original board and cable for use on my 1010B ( I have both chargers now )
When you say "limited" to 3x2 or 2x3 does this mean I would not be able to use the board for a single 3, 4, 5, and 6s pack if I wanted to ?
If so.... I might just make a board up myself...think I saw a home brew versiion within this thread somewhere way back- maybe it was Julez that did it ??
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Old Aug 02, 2008, 04:19 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
a) You can use any of the iC1010B balance boards with the iC106B using the 11-7 adapter lead to charge 2s/3s/4s/5s/6s. For 2s you can charge up to 3 x 2s = 6s and for 3s up to 2 x 3s = 6s.

b) If you make your own adapter you want the first seven wires starting from the most negative end.

c) So long as you get the wiring right, you could use an adapter board from any other 6S charger. For example I think that the Hyperion ones from the 0606i or 0610i will probably work fine. The wiring is right and the connector has 0.1in pin spacing and much the same profile, but has a deeper body and a retaining clip. Just trim off the retainer clip on the connector at the charger end. I cannot be certain, but I think you should try it and then let us all know
Old Aug 02, 2008, 04:34 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
OK so I just did some tests and I am sure Hyperion adapter boards will work. No doubt you can find a local vendor. A little careful surgery on the charger-end of the cable from the adapter board will be needed to allow it to fit the 6S balance socket on the iC106B.
Old Aug 02, 2008, 06:55 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Great...many thanks KGFLY - I will see what I can source in the UK and report findings :-)
Old Aug 02, 2008, 07:56 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2008
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt81
Is there any other place in the USA I can get it from? that site is in AU which cost quite a bit shipping to the USA, then I might just stick with charger 1 pack at a time.
I'd happily send you a 6S-10S balance adpter cable at a more affordable postage rate, but I've now only got enough cables to match the 106B's I have in stock - maybe I should have got more made up in the first place!

BTW I only ever charge what the actual postage costs me - if I can send an order out cheaper than the website quote I refund the difference
eheli.com.au is offline Find More Posts by eheli.com.au
Old Aug 02, 2008, 08:14 AM
What arbre?? oh tree!
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2006
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheli.com.au
I'd happily send you a 6S-10S balance adpter cable at a more affordable postage rate, but I've now only got enough cables to match the 106B's I have in stock - maybe I should have got more made up in the first place!

BTW I only ever charge what the actual postage costs me - if I can send an order out cheaper than the website quote I refund the difference
I can vouch for this, I ordered a PQ adaptor board and spare cable for my 1010b to be sent to me here in Canada. When I checked my paypal account there was a credit refund for the adjustment in postage. Excellent service.

Puffer.
Puffer Ghoti is offline Find More Posts by Puffer Ghoti
Old Aug 02, 2008, 02:18 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheli.com.au

Well how about I wait until you get some more, you then send me the adaptor cable and a new multiway board ( JST XH socketry please ) and I will pay you via Pay Pal - if this sounds OK then please PM me. That way my existing board can stay with my 1010B
Apologies for misuse of the thread
Old Aug 03, 2008, 01:42 AM
rgh
Australia, NSW, Wahroonga
Joined Dec 2007
55 Posts
You have a PM
rgh is offline Find More Posts by rgh
Old Aug 03, 2008, 06:23 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger-b
Good morning all. Following my "video report" earlier of strange behaviour following the upgrade to ver: 3.06 I followed the advice of junsi, and tried re-upgrading ith the newer version of the upgrade programme ( still of course to ver 3.06 firmware though ). Unfortunately the behaviour has not changed - upon disconnecting a pack whilst still accepting charge, no disconnection error appears, or sounds, and output voltage still rises way up. I have filmed both the latest upgrade operation showing the GUI information as upgrade commenced, and the latest testing results following what appeared again, to be a successful upgrade. Junsi has been informed via PM and responded appropriately.
Link to Video removed as it has served its purpose, and junsi have responded admirably. 30th July 2008
Hi!

Maybe I missed that piece, but did you disconnect the pack from the charging cable, or the charging cable from the charger, when you get the reaction you describe? I cant see this as the video appeared whan I was absent.
If you just remove the pack from the cable, I think there could be the possibility, that you get creeping current between the contacts of your cable. This could produce a voltage drop fooling the charger into thinking that the pack is still connected.
Do you get the same result when removing the cable from the charger?
-----------

My experiences with the 106B and 1010B during a week of slope soaring holidays are positive. I often recharged my planes' RX pack at the slope powering the charger from a 4s A123 pack. I adjusted the delta peak to 3mV/cell, as my packs do not need to be warm, and every charge was terminated well.
With the pre-release V3.07 software, my LiPos were charged in a timely manner, and I brought a badly balanced Lipo of a flying colleague back in shape.
The readability of the displays is excellent!
I placed my chargers upright in the flap of my electric stuff case, and could conveniently read them 2-3m away.

Cheers,

Julian
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Aug 03, 2008, 07:17 AM
Gales Ferry, CT
Joined Jun 2008
71 Posts
Julez,

Have you or anyone else checked the operation of this charger with other battery chemistries after this 3.07 update? Are they properly peaked with no false peaks? Do nihm or nicad batteries get hot during a charge?

I returned both of my 106b units and will wait until there are no more issues or updates before considering re-purchasing.
planekrazee is offline Find More Posts by planekrazee
Old Aug 03, 2008, 08:03 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,306 Posts
Well, I for one have charged everything despite Lead Acid batterys.
Termination works well, and the Nixx packs become moderately warm due to the nature of delta peak terminated charges.

I would still like to have gradient termination, as this is a very gentle method.

Quote:
Are they properly peaked with no false peaks?
I am not sure what you mean. I did neither experience any false terminations, nor the strange voltace rise badger reported in his case.

Cheers,

Julian
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez