SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:49 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
I have the larger A123 cells. What amperage should I charge them at? I was being safe and charged @ 2 amps. What do you think the norm and the max amperages would be?

The more I go thru the settings.....the more I like this cool little charger! I like the individual cell voltage monitoring. Great little charger!

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:54 PM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsofaman
I have the larger A123 cells. What amperage should I charge them at?
A123 M1 cells, that are 2300mAh, can be charged faster than this charger can. 10A alias full power that You can supply, is adequate. Do not hesitate..
All You can be afraid of is capabilities of Your power supply.
Even small, 1100mAh A123 M1A cells/packs, can be charged at 10A. Here a little care should be taken and too high temperature should be avoided before charge.
But be sure they are really A123, not another types of LiFe cells. They are different.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:56 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Quote:
1.) Guys....can ask a couple (New-bie to this charger) questions please?

I just recieved my charger today. I like the compact size of it!!! I am also liking the balancing board....geniuos!

Now for the questions.

I purchased A123 cells and made a 4 cell pack. I made the balancing plug and it works. I chose LiFe cells from the menu.

2.) What is the difference between Lilo and LiPo??? LiPo is lithium Polymer like we all purchase??? I will be charging some 3 cell lithiums and would not want to burn the house down! Would like some help with them please???

3.) Where can I get the plugs and wires to fit in the balancing ports???

4.) If so....what is Lilo?

5.) What is the normal C rating or what amperage do I set it on for A123 cells?

Those A123 cells are bigger than I thought!

Junsi.....great charger!!!!

Dave
I'll take a whack at this one:

1.) Sure - any time! Intelligent and helpful people abound here on RCG.

2.) Slightly different chemistry, Li-Ion charges to 4.1V typically, Li-Polymer to 4.2V, and LiFe to 3.6V. Lithium polymers usually come in soft polybags while lithium ions and lithium iron phosphates usually come in hard can shells. See the wiki links by clicking on the types above for more info on the pros and cons of each one.

3.) Balancing adapters are sold at E-Heli down under and they are currently available from BPHobbies here in the states. I understand that they will also be available at TanicPacks within the week.

4.) See #2 above

5.) Manuf. specs 3A charge (1.3C), they can handle up to a 10A charge (4.3C) no problem

Hope this helps clear some things up and enjoy the new charger - I'm loving mine!

Cheers,
David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:57 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Quote:
I have the larger A123 cells. What amperage should I charge them at? I was being safe and charged @ 2 amps. What do you think the norm and the max amperages would be?

The more I go thru the settings.....the more I like this cool little charger! I like the individual cell voltage monitoring. Great little charger!

Dave
They ( 2300mahr ) are fine at up to as much as 9A...some people I know have even done them at 10A. They also discharged them at very high rates 70A+ in small bursts, and 50A constant... ran them down as low as under 1V each, and they are still performing well! As can be seen...generally speaking they are a lot more foirgiving than Lithium Polymer.
Charge slower and discharge less and stop at 2.5V if you want to be kind :-)
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Old Jul 31, 2008, 04:16 PM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Here is the manufacturer page about that cells, there is also pdf manual speaking about 3A standard charge, but fast charge specs are clearly stated:
http://www.a123systems.com/#/products/p1

* Nominal voltage: 3.3V
* Nominal capacity: 2.3Ah
* Core cell weight: 70 grams
* Internal impedance: (1kHz AC) 8 mΩ typical
* Typical fast charge current: 10A to 3.6V CCCV
* 70A continuous discharge
* 120A, 10 sec pulse discharge
* Cycle life at 10C discharge, 100% DOD: over 1,000 cycles

Some users are charging at initial current of 30A.. search for "$10 A123 zip charge" for details.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:32 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Genuine A123 2300 cells can be charged with absolute safety and zero measurable impact on cycle life at 10A.

User experiments documented here on RCG show that they can be charged safely at 26A for hundreds of cycles with almost no impact on performance. Whether this will affect cycle life it unclear but so far this "abuse" has continued for about 300 cycles and going strong.

Coro - no need for a new generic LiXx charge mode since with these chargers you can adjust the termination voltage for each Li chemistry across quite a range.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:36 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Hey guys....thanks to coming to the rescue! This little charger is fantastic!

Dave
Old Aug 01, 2008, 12:39 AM
www.AProHobbies.com
USA, TX
Joined Feb 2005
321 Posts
hello everyone, I was wondering how do I charge 2x 2s lipo at once with the 106B charger? is there an balance adapter for such thing? I got the 2x 3s but there is no 2x 2s adapter.
ptt81 is offline Find More Posts by ptt81
Old Aug 01, 2008, 01:50 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
You can get a balance adapter board and lead for the 106B from www.eheli.com.au
Old Aug 01, 2008, 01:53 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
454 Posts
non A123 LiFe cell should be charged to 3.8v? is that really true?
rizky_p is online now Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Aug 01, 2008, 02:24 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
There is less standardisation for LiFePO4 than there is nowdays for LiPo. You should get hold of the datasheet/specifications from the manufacturer of the particular cells you want to charge to find out the correct charging voltage.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 04:28 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coro
I think that precise callibration (I recall that within 5mV) of internal balancers in 1010B and 610B chargers, was mentioned earlier in this thread.
It is one of the most important values of this charger in my opinion.
I hope that Your Yuntong balancer is reading off by noticeable amount, in this case.

Thanks for the heads up Coro. My instructions actually say 10mV, although Im not sure how up to date this is.

I tried to measure the voltages after charging with the 1010B, but my multimeter only measures to 0.01 of a volt .

I think its safe to say the Yuntong balancer is off.

Waz
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Aug 01, 2008, 11:47 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
I think you are missing the point. This is nothing to do with the plugs on the batteries. It has to do with the insertion/removal forces of an 11-pin JST-XH connector and the minimal plug body that remains exposed.

It is very difficult to remove the cable that connects the adapter board to the charger from either the charger or the adapter board. Since I transport my charger I often have to remove that cable and I have to use tools to do it in order to prevent placing undue strain on the wires/pins.

The Hyp/PQ style connector has lower insertion/removal force by design since it has a retaining clip to ensure the cable does not fall out of the connector (which is why JST-XH are so tight). The plug body is deeper and provides enough meat to grasp in your fingers so that you don't pull on the wires. JST-XH were never really intended for multiple insertion/removal cycles and are not well suited to that role. The small pin-count connectors are less of an issue since the forces are smaller. As the pin-count goes up the problem gets worse and worse. The Hyp/PQ connector is a superior design for this kind of application.

It requires a minor PCB design change and an alteration to the cutout in the end plate. You will find most other good quality chargers use this style of connector for this purpose.

BTW - Additional adapter boards for Hyp/PQ and TP/FP for both 106B and 1010B are available from www.eheli.com.au
Hi KGFLY - are you saying that eheli can supply a multiway adaptor board that will plug directly into the 6s socket of the 106B then? The only ones I could see on the site appeared to be the 1010B versions with the very wide 11 pin flat ribbon cable. I would be interested in acquiring a similar board ( with JST-XH style sockets covering 2s 3s 4s 5s and 6s packs ) for the 106B
To complicate matters slightly... remember... I am in the UK!
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Last edited by badger-b; Aug 01, 2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling...I hate bad spelling :-)
Old Aug 01, 2008, 11:53 AM
LKC
must have been a glitch !
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
You can use the 1010B balancer board lead, just trim down the plug to fit the 6S side (make sure you trim the correct side)
or order this adaptor plug.. that will allow you to use the 1010B balance board with your 106B, although limited to 6S. so 3x2S or 2x3S.

Luke
LKC is offline Find More Posts by LKC
Old Aug 01, 2008, 11:54 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coro
Here is the manufacturer page about that cells, there is also pdf manual speaking about 3A standard charge, but fast charge specs are clearly stated:
http://www.a123systems.com/#/products/p1

* Nominal voltage: 3.3V
* Nominal capacity: 2.3Ah
* Core cell weight: 70 grams
* Internal impedance: (1kHz AC) 8 mΩ typical
* Typical fast charge current: 10A to 3.6V CCCV
* 70A continuous discharge
* 120A, 10 sec pulse discharge
* Cycle life at 10C discharge, 100% DOD: over 1,000 cycles

Some users are charging at initial current of 30A.. search for "$10 A123 zip charge" for details.

I thought I was aggressive @ 4.5 amps!!! OK...I am good! You guys are the best....thanks for sharing the info.

Dave