Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 23, 2008, 04:34 AM
Austria
Joined Jul 2008
159 Posts
Junsi, please could take a look at my question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxian
I've seen in the manual that the max. charging voltage of lead acid batteries is 2.45 V/cell.
Now I would like to know at which voltage the charger stops in practice.
Is there a way to fix the charging end voltage to 2,4V per cell?
tuxian is offline Find More Posts by tuxian
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2008, 04:53 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizky_p
oh no, all of my packs are JST-XH
Mine too.

Keep the JST-XH, its getting more and more de facto balance plug standard.

Peter
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw
Old Jul 23, 2008, 05:05 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,082 Posts
Hello

Quote:
I've seen in the manual that the max. charging voltage of lead acid batteries is 2.45 V/cell.
Now I would like to know at which voltage the charger stops in practice.
Hello tuxian,
Sorry to say that we had missed your question!
The charger won’t stop until the charge current falls to 1/10C, the end voltage is related with the end current, if the end current is high, then the end voltage low.
Quote:
Is there a way to fix the charging end voltage to 2,4V per cell?
Sorry, there is no way for the current 1010B/106B to set the charge end voltage to 2.40V for the lead acid batteries .

Best regards,
Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Jul 23, 2008, 05:11 AM
Austria
Joined Jul 2008
159 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
Is it a problem to charge a 12V 100Ah lead acid battery with this loader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi
Sorry, there is no way for the current 1010B/106B to set the charge end voltage to 2.40V for the lead acid batteries .
Maybe a point for a future firmware

Best Regards,
tuxian
Old Jul 23, 2008, 05:29 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,274 Posts
6s 2.4V cells make 14.4V
4s 3.6V cells make 14.4V

Just choose 4s LiFe cells to charge you lead acid pack to 14.4V
By the way, I just always connect my lead acid battery to the 13,8V power supply. After one night, it can be considered fully charged.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jul 23, 2008, 05:34 AM
Austria
Joined Jul 2008
159 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Is the charging process for LiFe cells the same as for lead acid batteries?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 06:05 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizky_p
oh no, all of my packs are JST-XH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolw
Mine too.

Keep the JST-XH, its getting more and more de facto balance plug standard.

Peter
You guys are missing the point completely Please go back and read post #1347.

This is about the socket on the side of the 1010B charger. You do not connect your balance leads to that socket, you connect them to the balance adapter board, which is available in all the common flavours. The only thing that plugs into that socket is the 11-wire cable from the balance adapter board to the charger. So it doesn't matter what batteries you have, the interface connector on the charger (and adapter board) can be anything that works since they only ever connect to each other.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jul 23, 2008, 06:37 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
You do not connect your balance leads to that socket, you connect them to the balance adapter board, which is available in all the common flavours. The only thing that plugs into that socket is the 11-wire cable from the balance adapter board to the charger.
Hmm, why not have this as a possible alternative by using 11 pins with .1" spacing on the charger side? With a generous cutout around this, many packs would fit directly on the charger (all of mine would ).

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jul 23, 2008, 06:46 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
417 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
Is it a problem to charge a 12V 100Ah lead acid battery with this loader?

Maybe a point for a future firmware

Best Regards,
tuxian
Lead Acid cant be fast charged, it can only be charge with a Maximum of 1/10C. Charging a 12v Lead Acid, Even 106B can do that with some power to spare. PB battery has similar charging algorithm to Lithium. Just leave it overnight @1/10C (16hours) and it should be full by then

I charged my Car Battery (12v, 60AH) from flat to full with my Imax B6, took about 16 hours. Even a lower quality/inferior charger such as Imax B6 can do that.

thanks.
rizky_p is online now Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Jul 23, 2008, 07:01 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2008
391 Posts
This was now irrelevant to the thread - so deleted
badger-b is offline Find More Posts by badger-b
Last edited by badger-b; Jul 30, 2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: POST DELETED BY BADGER -B
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:43 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger-b
Hi junsi ( and all ) if you have managed to view the U tube link I gave earlier, than do you have an answer to my question. here As also stated, this behavior seems to be with almost all battery types with just few minor differences in display text.
Hello badger-b,
We have wacthed the video in the U tube, now, we are testing and investigating the cause of this odd behavior. Sorry to say that we haven't found the cause yet. Please wait ! We will try our best to find the cause of this odd behavior as soon as possible.

Best regards,
junsi
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:49 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
It looks as if the charger is trying to maintain the configured charge current. Since it is applying a voltage to the output, it cannot detect a "connection break" based on the measured output voltage. So it sees the current fall off and being a CC NiXx mode, simply ramps up the applied voltage in an attempt to drive up the current.

If this is correct then the solution might be to detect that the output current is zero even if the output voltage has reached its limit (whatever is appropriate for the particular cycle). At that point terminate the program with a "connection break" error...

[Edit]That logic might be too simple, some extra logic might be needed so that a charge cycle that ends properly at the limit voltage does not generate an error.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:54 PM
LKC
must have been a glitch !
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2003
946 Posts
I can replicate this behavoir too, During a lipo balance charge. It does only occur when the charge current is reduced to 0.0A, otherwise the connection error will occur. If the charge current is 0.0A then the main lead is disconnected, the voltage drops and no alarm, although eventually I got an balance over voltage error, about 30-40 seconds after main lead is disconnected.
I have a video of it happening, if needed.
LKC is offline Find More Posts by LKC
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:57 PM
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jun 2007
120 Posts
Well I just finished updating the firmware for my 106B to 3.06. It was 3.01 when I bought it. I used a homemade RS232 to TTL converter using a MAX3221 chip. All the parts I scavenged from work, but the MAX3221 was a pretty small SMT component that was a real pain to solder jumper wires to. In the end it all worked, and it was all free. Now to make a hotwire table to make good use of the foam cut mode...

-Jeff
blanchjd is offline Find More Posts by blanchjd
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:19 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKC
I can replicate this behavoir too, During a lipo balance charge. It does only occur when the charge current is reduced to 0.0A, otherwise the connection error will occur. If the charge current is 0.0A then the main lead is disconnected, the voltage drops and no alarm, although eventually I got an balance over voltage error, about 30-40 seconds after main lead is disconnected.
I have a video of it happening, if needed.
Hello LKC,
Please upload your video, we need it to invetigate your charger's problem. Thanks!
Then, what is version of your charger, if its version isn't 3.06, please bother to upgrade it to version 3.06, to see whether the upgrading thing can fix your problem or not?

Best regards,
Junsi