HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:36 PM
Registered User
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,968 Posts
That's perfectly normal when using a quality charger and a fast charge rate. If you want higher termination voltage, buy better batteries, charge at a lower charge rate, or set balance speed at slow and turn balance trickle on.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:04 PM
Registered User
kevinjulieevan's Avatar
Joined Dec 2010
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
That's perfectly normal when using a quality charger and a fast charge rate. If you want higher termination voltage, buy better batteries, charge at a lower charge rate, or set balance speed at slow and turn balance trickle on.

Mark
thanks for the tips. i think the battery quality is fine as my other charger reaches tops the same batteries off perfectly but i am charging at a 3 c charge rate with the icharger306b , i have not tried changing the balance speed or balance trickle . i don't really understand what that does but i can try changing those settings and see if that helps. i guess expecting a fully charged pack in 15 minutes is just not in the cards for me!
kevinjulieevan is offline Find More Posts by kevinjulieevan
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:12 PM
Registered User
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,968 Posts
The only way to trick your charger and attain 'full' charge and get short charge times is to raise the termination voltage above 4.20 volts/cell. This is NOT recommended but will allow you to achieve your end result.

See page 9 of the manual to learn about balance speed and balance trickle.

FWIW, many of us longtime lipoly users deliberately undercharge to ~4.10-4.15 volts / cell to extend the number of useful cycles in our batteries at the expense of a negligible reduction in flight time.

Your iCharger is being kind to your batteries. Learn to enjoy it.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:19 PM
Registered User
kevinjulieevan's Avatar
Joined Dec 2010
156 Posts
This makes a lot of sense . Thanks again for the info/advice. Does anyone know a good thread on just general lipo care?
kevinjulieevan is offline Find More Posts by kevinjulieevan
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:35 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjulieevan View Post
This makes a lot of sense . Thanks again for the info/advice. Does anyone know a good thread on just general lipo care?
Here are a few that I've collected:

http://www.chargedrc.com.au/Battery-...your-lipo.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/paral...-charging.html
http://www.rchelisite.com/lipo_batte...fety_guide.php
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=29

I'm sure Google will find you others.
MarkEHansen is offline Find More Posts by MarkEHansen
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:48 PM
Citizen 46
rnettles's Avatar
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
32 Posts
Charging 6S Lipos with 206B and 18V supply?

Hi All,

I was wondering how practical it would be to use a 206B to charge 6S ~1400mah Lipos when powered by a 18V 350W power supply. Will this work for the long term, or am I setting myself up for disappointment?

When I first bought this combination, I figured I'd probably top out at 3S 450 class helis, but a 6S opportunity has come my way and I'm wondering if this combination is still suitable, or do I need to upgrade the supply to at least a 24V.

Thanks!
rnettles is offline Find More Posts by rnettles
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:52 PM
Citizen 46
rnettles's Avatar
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjulieevan View Post
This makes a lot of sense . Thanks again for the info/advice. Does anyone know a good thread on just general lipo care?
I think this is also a pretty good general view to the "care and feeding" of LiPos.
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos
rnettles is offline Find More Posts by rnettles
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:54 PM
Registered User
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnettles View Post
I was wondering how practical it would be to use a 206B to charge 6S ~1400mah Lipos when powered by a 18V 350W power supply. Will this work for the long term, or am I setting myself up for disappointment?
You'll be just fine. You won't achieve maximum 350 watt output but you should be able to get to ~300 watts or a little better if your PS can indeed supply 350 watts continuous at 18 volts.

For 6S packs, 300 watts equates to about 12 amps of charge current.

Curiously, what's the application for a 6S 1400mAh pack. Is this a specially-made pack? I've never heard of a 6S lipoly of such low capacity.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:02 PM
Registered User
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,194 Posts
I'm guessing it's a 6S-powered 450. I have 1200mAh 6S packs for my 450. My 106B+ (10A/250W) can manage 2C with 4 of these packs in parallel.

My power supply is 12V (tweaked to a bit over 13V), I'd need about 14V or higher to get the the charger's full 250W output.

You'll be fine, it just depends on how many packs you want to charge, and how quickly.
RedOctobyr is offline Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:16 PM
Team JetiUSA
pvogel's Avatar
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnettles View Post
Hi All,

I was wondering how practical it would be to use a 206B to charge 6S ~1400mah Lipos when powered by a 18V 350W power supply. Will this work for the long term, or am I setting myself up for disappointment?

When I first bought this combination, I figured I'd probably top out at 3S 450 class helis, but a 6S opportunity has come my way and I'm wondering if this combination is still suitable, or do I need to upgrade the supply to at least a 24V.

Thanks!
That would work just fine. V x A = W, 22.2 x 1.4 x <a safe C charge rating from 1-5 depending on your pack> = 31.1 - 155 watts, so you'd be hard pressed to exceed your power supply's capabilities unless you were parallel charging at higher than 1 or 2 C. You'll not be able to reach the full 20 A output on the 206 with a 6S pack unless you have a 450W (at least) power supply, but it's rare that you'll need 20 amps!

Peter+
pvogel is offline Find More Posts by pvogel
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:37 PM
Citizen 46
rnettles's Avatar
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Curiously, what's the application for a 6S 1400mAh pack. Is this a specially-made pack? I've never heard of a 6S lipoly of such low capacity.
Thanks for the feedback. RedOctobyr is correct, it's a Compass Warp 360 that is coming my way, and it's designed for 1200-1800mah 6s LiPos. I was just concerned that I might run into troubles charging a 22-25V battery when sourcing from only an 18V supply. It's actually a Meanwell 15V 350W supply that has been turned up to 18V so that I can get the full 300W out of the 206b. I think the worst thing I'll probably throw at it is four 1400mah batteries in parallel at 2C which I think comes to ~282W (25.2V @ 11.2A).

Thanks again!
rnettles is offline Find More Posts by rnettles
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:53 PM
Registered User
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,968 Posts
You should be just fine. Meanwell makes a great supply that is true to its rating.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:50 AM
Registered User
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvogel View Post
You'll not be able to reach the full 20 A output on the 206 with a 6S pack unless you have a 450W (at least) power supply, but it's rare that you'll need 20 amps!
Just to avoid confusion, the 206B is 20A/300W. So at 6S, the 300W limit will apply, not the 20A, and you'll get around 12A output, at the full 25.2V (near the end of a charge). You'll never need a 450W supply with a 206B.
RedOctobyr is offline Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:29 AM
NaN
Andy2No's Avatar
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,758 Posts
LiFePO4 charging with a 106B+?

Can my iCharger 106B+ be used to charge 2s LiFePO4 packs? There's a setting for LiFe, but not LiFePO4. Will that do?

I've never tried updating the firmware. It still has the one it came with, which is V3.14 - it doesn't show it for long enough to read the rest of the screen, but that seems to be what it says.

Would it need a firmware upgrade to do it, or is it okay as it is?
Andy2No is online now Find More Posts by Andy2No
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:14 AM
Registered User
ForsheeMS's Avatar
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Can my iCharger 106B+ be used to charge 2s LiFePO4 packs? There's a setting for LiFe, but not LiFePO4. Will that do?

I've never tried updating the firmware. It still has the one it came with, which is V3.14 - it doesn't show it for long enough to read the rest of the screen, but that seems to be what it says.

Would it need a firmware upgrade to do it, or is it okay as it is?
Really not sure on your charging question as I don't have any LiFePO4 batts but version 3.14 is the lastest firmware for the iCharger so you're good there.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best charger/discharger $ can buy namancio Batteries and Chargers 30 Jan 31, 2010 02:52 PM
Power Pacer Battery charger/discharger ACE_McCOOL Batteries and Chargers 4 Oct 22, 2002 12:39 PM
NIB Hitec CG-325 Charger/Discharger/Cycler for 4-9 cells - $39! Jason M Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Oct 03, 2002 03:29 AM
WTB Good charger/discharger 10 + cells WickedFunRC Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 05, 2002 08:55 PM