SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:10 AM
Italy, Toscana, Orbetello
Joined Mar 2012
329 Posts
Finally, I renounced at "business" and I've ordered a new iCharger 106B Plus with an iCharger P350 Power Supply.
In Italy We say: "Who spend more, spend less".
My idea of hobby is a way to have comfort time, not to follow problems on problems.
Thanks everybody for Your helps!
I'll be back here, when I'll receive my brand new BC!
Ricky971 is offline Find More Posts by Ricky971
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Reverse polarity check

Hello,
I've bought the iCharger 106b+ a month ago.
Today when i plug the iCharger 106b+ to the power AC/DC (as always) the iCharger write: "Reverse polarity check" and start to beep.
I don't plug the lipo.
I've been check that, while the error message is on, if i plug a lipo in the main port (not in the balance port) it stops but the charger says "Low Voltage".

The Vo value of Calibration Menu is -4096. I set to 0 but the error stills.

how can I solve this problem ?
Genosystem is offline Find More Posts by Genosystem
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:22 PM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosystem View Post
Today when i plug the iCharger 106b+ to the power AC/DC (as always) the iCharger write: "Reverse polarity check" and start to beep.
I don't plug the lipo.
I've been check that, while the error message is on, if i plug a lipo in the main port (not in the balance port) it stops but the charger says "Low Voltage".
Sorry for the trouble caused, please check the PM we have sent to you.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
I just picked up a used icharger 106B+ a few days ago, and I got it in the mail today.
the little momentary switch under the START button was broken (I knew this when I bought it, I got it for super cheap), but I "repaired" it.
I expect it to fail again eventually, the little metal cover holding the button together is sort of just press-fit on, and I had to do a bit of custom work on the "pop cap" in the button in order for it to make contact, but so far, the charger works great!
I'll definitely be able to do some custom fix for it when it does fail again.
I love being able to check the IR of my packs, I've never been able to do that before!
user unrelated is offline Find More Posts by user unrelated
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:40 PM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Dec 2010
161 Posts
not getting full charge on lipos

hey guys i have the icharger 306b with paraboard. it is working well but only seems to charge my lipos to about 4.15 to 4.17 per cell while my other charges will get them to 4.2 or 4.19 at full charge. any idea what parameters i can change to get a more full charge?
kevinjulieevan is offline Find More Posts by kevinjulieevan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:58 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,363 Posts
Experienced lipoly users concur that 4.15 volts/cell is better for lipoly longevity but if you desire to increase this, simply increase lipoly termination voltage under the "settings" menu. This is clearly described on pages 7 and 12 of the manual.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:08 PM
Joined Dec 2010
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Experienced lipoly users concur that 4.15 volts/cell is better for lipoly longevity but if you desire to increase this, simply increase lipoly termination voltage under the "settings" menu. This is clearly described on pages 7 and 12 of the manual.
Thanks i will give that a try. My charger didn't come with a paper manual and i haven't been able to find an online manual so I've been trying to figure things out as I go . I'm glad this forum is here. Rcgroups has saved me many times!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:26 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,363 Posts
Manual: http://www.hillrc.com/UploadFiles/iC306B_en.pdf

Also linked in the first post of this thread.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:29 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,349 Posts
I only have a 106B+. But there are different settings to determine when the charge ends, based on the current at the end of the charge.

Mine has a Balance Fast Charge, for instance, which stops the charge when the amperage at the Constant Voltage portion of the charge (the end) drops to 1/5 of the original current you set.

The typical Balance Charge setting keeps going until the amperage during Constant Voltage drops to 1/10 of the original selected current.

Continuing the charge longer, until the current drops lower, will give you a resting voltage closer to the selected target charge voltage.

Making up numbers, if the charger goes until 1/5 the original voltage, maybe the batteries will be 4.15V/cell (a period of time after the charge ends), vs the target 4.20V/cell. If you go until 1/10 the original voltage, maybe the batteries end up at 4.18V/cell. The charger will put a little more mAh back in, as well.

For instance, I'll Storage charge to 3.85V. When I go to use the packs later, they'll be at 3.83-3.84V.

I believe the final voltage is also influenced by the internal resistance of the packs.
RedOctobyr is online now Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:04 AM
Joined Dec 2010
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Manual: http://www.hillrc.com/UploadFiles/iC306B_en.pdf

Also linked in the first post of this thread.

Mark
i'm really going to have to break my habit of reading all threads backwards! does anyone else suffer from this habit i never make it to page one of a thread.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:45 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
866 Posts
So I just got a 306b and have a questoin/ issue. When I carge 2s lipos they usually finish with 4.28v or 4.29v displaying on the charger lcd. 6S lipos finish with 25.38v. I just charged a 2s life and it charged to 7.4v before slowing returning to 7.2v. This is my first "big" charger. Is this normal?
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:45 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
I was about to ask a similar question.
My old charger (A thunder AC6) would always display an accurate "whole pack" voltage, as in, if you added up the cell voltages it displayed, you would get the exact voltage that the charger was displaying on the "main" screen.

I just got the power supply (14v, 25A) for my 106b, and I'm messing around with the charger right now.
I tried a 10A balance charge on one of my 5Ah 2S packs, and the charger was displaying a voltage of 8.65v for the whole pack! That can't be good!
So I checked the individual cell voltages. One was at 4.18, and the other was at 4.19.
I let it keep going, and eventually the voltage went back down to the correct ~8.4v
But is there any reason that the charger does this?
What should I trust more? the individual cell voltages, or the main pack voltage?
I can't imagine that the pack would have actually been at 8.6v, it probably would have puffed.

also, I can't seem to get the darn thing to discharge at anything more than 1.7A...
user unrelated is offline Find More Posts by user unrelated
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:36 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Trust the individual cell's voltages DURING the charge. Even thought the main lead voltage is accurate it is really a "false" high voltage reading because of the current. Maybe 1.7 amps has reached the max power to discharge?
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:52 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,363 Posts
You're experiencing voltage drop in your charge lead. iChargers compensate for this when balance charging and stay in CC stage until the highest cell reaches termination voltage and then transitions to CV stage. This is a good thing and can dramatically shorten the charge cycle, especially at higher currents. The net result is that the output converter will allow voltage to go above 4.2 volts / cell.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Dec 2010
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
So I just got a 306b and have a questoin/ issue. When I carge 2s lipos they usually finish with 4.28v or 4.29v displaying on the charger lcd. 6S lipos finish with 25.38v. I just charged a 2s life and it charged to 7.4v before slowing returning to 7.2v. This is my first "big" charger. Is this normal?
my 306b seems unable to charge my packs to a full 4.2volts per cell. and seems unable to discharge a pack to 3.8 volts per cell. these were both easily done with another charger i had. the only way i can get a true full charge is to stand next to the charger and watch. a few minutes before it's done charging the pack will peak but the charger then seems to draw the cells back down before it starts beeping that the charge is complete. i did look in the manual and set the termination voltage for lipo to 4.2 volts but it still does the same thing. i love the fast charge times but i want my packs charged to 4.2 and not 4.15 or 4.13. i really don't understand this. it also only seems to discharge to 3.9 volts no matter what settings i change. anyone have any ideas how to fix this or do i need to just start shopping for another charger?
RCG Plus Member